The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: New to the Game and just getting started. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just started playing recently. I understand how most deck building games work. (Have a MTG background but been long time and know this is vastly different.) I am working on having my wife learn the game with me, she does not have a gaming background. We have failed a couple attempts at the first senerio with just one deck. We just used the lore deck. (Reason the two of us used only the one deck together is trying to teach her mechanics)
Now we also have purchased Khazad-Dum deluxe expansion and AP Shadow and Flame, The Watcher in the Water and Foundation of Stone. I did not buy and of the Mirkwood APs since they currently seem way overpriced online. The reason I got the APs I did is they are overpriced online and my LHS had them at retail. I can get the rest of the Dwarrowdelf Cycle easily and a second core if needed.

So my question should we continue to try just the core decks on the first quests?

What Combination should I look at when making new decks aiming at being two player decks and not just a solo deck.

The final question is should I get the other 3 dwarrowdelf APs? Is a 2nd core set really worth it? Is there a different set I should look at?

Sorry if these are wide open questions.
I thank you for any help given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're learning with a non-gamer, I'd play on Easy mode. Click here for the link. Essentially, each hero starts with an extra resource, and the more difficult/insane cards are removed from the encounter deck.

To keep things simple, you could use four mono-color decks. Each player would control two decks each.

You might not want to invest any more money until you're sure that you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I enjoy the game so at worse I will continue to play. Just may end up being solo. But she seems to be enjoying it. Both times we have loss is due to US. Both times we got the path that forces us to face him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wilmer
United Kingdom
Brandon
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two player on easy mode with core decks (spirit and tactics).

Should go fairly smoothly for the first run. Then step up to normal with the same (or switch cores around).

Spirit to make the questing easier. Tactics to swat the nasties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Try using the included 30-card decks against the first scenario. Each player controls one deck. There are four spheres so you can change things up, each trying out the different decks. Run through the official FAQ to iron out any rules wrinkles. Once you have the rules, game flow, spheres, and the core card synergies down you will probably be better prepared to build decks. I would suggest not worrying about losing during this learning phase.

Personally, I would recommend two core sets. This way you can more easily build 50-card decks for the second core scenario and have more robust deck building options going forward in two-player games. I'm like you and try not to buy anything over MSRP. Over time, it's possible to build up a good player card pool with a good selection of good replayable quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommend against two core sets - more variety is better than more of the same. Nearly four cycles worth of expansions in, building 50-card decks is not one of my 99+ problems

The reprints for some out of stock items are on the way, so it'll soon be easier to get at least a few cycles and deluxe sets.

Dwarrowdelf seems to be partially in stock at the FFG store - in fact, the ones you missed are the ones they have.

I recommend playing the Khazad-Dûm scenarios since you have them. The Hobbit saga expansions are also back on the way, and complement Khazad-Dûm/Dwarrowdelf well with more dwarven goodness. You also get a complete campaign of scenarios. Warning: There be dragon. Singular.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
gnurf wrote:
I'll recommend against two core sets - more variety is better than more of the same. Nearly four cycles worth of expansions in, building 50-card decks is not one of my 99+ problems

The reprints for some out of stock items are on the way, so it'll soon be easier to get at least a few cycles and deluxe sets.

Dwarrowdelf seems to be partially in stock at the FFG store - in fact, the ones you missed are the ones they have.

I recommend playing the Khazad-Dûm scenarios since you have them. The Hobbit saga expansions are also back on the way, and complement Khazad-Dûm/Dwarrowdelf well with more dwarven goodness. You also get a complete campaign of scenarios. Warning: There be dragon. Singular.

The ones I skipped I knew were more readily available. I noticed the one I bought were double msrp on amazon and my LHS had them at msrp. That is why I grabbed then up first.
BTW we finally got our first win against the first scenario. My wife used the Spirit deck and I used the Technical deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
congratz and now for the next quest :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
we finally got our first win against the first scenario.

Congratulations - now you're closer to find out why there is a slight dislike for Dol Guldur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted M
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
Hampshire
flag msg tools
Too right, I picked this game up for Christmas and in a similar vein to the OP my girlfriend and I have been working through. I'm running Tactics/Leadership and she is Lore/Spirit. Dol Guldur is a nightmare and I feel like successful completion is dependent on a lot of luck with the encounter deck.

Going back to the original question, does anyone know when the Mirkwood cycle is being reprinted? Seems to have been "awaiting reprint" for ages. I presume they are doing it so that Easy mode is available on these sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeddyGM wrote:
does anyone know when the Mirkwood cycle is being reprinted? Seems to have been "awaiting reprint" for ages.

All we can do is make educated guesses. Maybe not even educated. Whenever the things with "At the printer" status move to "On the boat" the "Awaiting reprint" stuff moves up, or so I guess.

Quote:
I presume they are doing it so that Easy mode is available on these sets.

I think the core was reprinted with icons for cards to remove from easymode, so it's possible. I don't remember if my Mirkwood cycle has them; they're pre-clamshell, but I think I have later cycles which include them and are in cardboard tuck boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am looking forward to the next quest. I think my wife made a breakthrough on understanding the game and making her own decisions on what card to play. We are passing our hands up so we can plan a little better. We pulled Beron's path but US was already out. So he had me engaged I had a spearman to block then slaughter it with a veteran drawfman,Gimli with 4 damage dwarf axe attached and legolas with two swords. Last turn came out the orc with 35 threat. My wife was able to play wandering took and seems him to me to be my blocker on the orc and then Legolas chopped it down to size for the final three progress we needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Squires

Fayetteville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started out a couple years ago, I used the suggested deck from Jeff Hannes linked here:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1294079/back-basics-two-pai...
I ended up using those decks, playing 2 hand solo, through the first cycle. He explains how some of the combos should work and leaves room to add more cards from the APs.

Once I got the Khazad Dum DE, I switched to these suggested Dwarf decks:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1428576/help-building-2-han...
From there I've just been tweeking the decks as I obtain new cards.

Hope these help. Happy Questing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Anyone have any decks using just one core and the Khazad-Dum block? I am only finding ones that include the first block also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Ward
England
Salford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoesItQuest wrote:
Anyone have any decks using just one core and the Khazad-Dum block? I am only finding ones that include the first block also.

Start here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-basics-killer-...

Then add a few of your KD cards in that you like, nice entry into deck building with a great base deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hailoh wrote:
DoesItQuest wrote:

Start here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1108855/back-basics-killer-...

Then add a few of your KD cards in that you like, nice entry into deck building with a great base deck.

Or if you prefer, the second post in the linked thread has which cards he'd chose from the first few cycles. This is the upgrades he gave for KD/Dwarrowdelf:

Khazad Dum: ---
Road to Rivendell: ---
The Redhorn Gate: Bofur
The Watcher in the Water: Arwen Undomiel
The Long Dark: Erestor, Warden of Healing
Foundations of Stone: Daeron's Runes
Shadow and Flame: ---

The original deck has 42 cards. Add 3x Daeron's Runes, 2x Warden of Healing, and 1x of the three unique characters, and you're at 50 cards. (Though I'd bump Arwen to 2x because she's so awesome. Drop a Guard of the Citadel if you want to stay at 50.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On second thought, keep the Guard and drop one of the 3x Lore of Imaldris. With Warden of Healing, those are less important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Shepard
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
See they just added the Shadow of Mirkwood Cycle to "at the printers". So in a couple months I can get them. So between now and then if I purchase anything it will be the Hobbit Saga boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.