7 Posts

The Big Book of Madness» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discard an entire deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petr Ritchie
msg tools
Hello,

I started playing this game a week ago and I find this mechanic extremely strong, so I have to ask. When a multi-colored curse card tells me to discard my entire deck, does that mean, by the discard rules, that now everything I had in my deck is now in my "mana pool"? So I can use it all to pay for curses?

Today I purposely let this curse hit me, so I could pay off every single curse on the board. And I felt like that was unbelievably strong. Am I using it right?

Thanks for the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
RitchieCZ wrote:
Hello,

I started playing this game a week ago and I find this mechanic extremely strong, so I have to ask. When a multi-colored curse card tells me to discard my entire deck, does that mean, by the discard rules, that now everything I had in my deck is now in my "mana pool"? So I can use it all to pay for curses?

Today I purposely let this curse hit me, so I could pay off every single curse on the board. And I felt like that was unbelievably strong. Am I using it right?

Thanks for the answer.

That is very wrong. You can play a card for manna, and then it goes into the discard pile, but if you are instructed to "discard" a card or hand or deck you DO NOT GET the manna. You only get the manna when you "play" a card. "Playing" results in discarding, but discarding does not equal "playing".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said.

The main purpose of those Curses is to force a reshuffle, and thereby add a Madness to your deck.
There's also the added 'bonus' of messing with any "put on top of deck" actions you may have set-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Ritchie
msg tools
reverendunclebastard wrote:

That is very wrong. You can play a card for manna, and then it goes into the discard pile, but if you are instructed to "discard" a card or hand or deck you DO NOT GET the manna. You only get the manna when you "play" a card. "Playing" results in discarding, but discarding does not equal "playing".

Yeah I thought so, I guess there is a discrepancy in the czech translation. If I translated it word by word back, it would say:

"Discard, if not specified otherwise you always discard from your hand or support. A card from support goes into discard pile of a player who owns the support. Discarding element cards is producing that much element, as the card says and you can pay your actions with that.

Written like this, in czech, it was really easy to get it confused. Thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaan Bruinshoofd
msg tools
I have a question about This as well

An arrival curse of one monster is: Each player discards their entire hand.
It does not say that You may draw new cards...
Do You have to wait till It's your turn and phase of recuperation...if so This monster is very hard to defeat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaantjes wrote:
I have a question about This as well

It does not say that You may draw new cards...
Do You have to wait till It's your turn and phase of recuperation...if so This monster is very hard to defeat

Yes you have to wait until recuperation to redraw. This monster is tough indeed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaantjes wrote:

That monster doesn't exist.
The closest are:
"One player discards their hand" (giant eye peeking through hole)
or "Each player discards 2 cards" (spider)
There is also a 'failure penalty' of "everyone discards their hand, draw 5 cards" (haunted armor)

If such a monster did exist (or if you are playing solo), you can still use cards from the Support Pool to cast spells, and every color has spells that either draw cards, add to Support Pool, or allow 'casting without actually using' cards, so you wouldn't (necessarily) be out of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.