Kate R
msg tools
Hello,

So, we played haunt 72. There were three of us, and the traitor won. However, in after-game discussion, we figured out a way it could've gone that would have made a stalemate, and we're interested to see what people think about how it would be solved.

Say the traitor possessed Hero 1, and Hero 2 then killed the traitor, and Hero 1. The only "players" left in the game at this point are Hero 2, and the Beast. Hero 2 has the cat.

The Beast attacks Hero 2 with sanity, and always must do this if it can, as per its rules. Hero 2's mental traits get lowered to their starting values, but each time they would "die" and get possessed, they cannot because they have the cat. The same goes for the counter- counter reaches 0, Hero 2 is not possessed due to cat.

So, the Hound cannot kill the hero- so there is no way for the traitor to win? This seems like an odd loophole.

The only way the game could end is if the hero made the dog fetch enough times in order to get a weapon enough times in order to kill the Beast. But this would be tedious and silly, especially with the hero at lowest Knowledge, the roll required to ask the Beast to fetch. Given this is a 4+ roll, that would be difficult and would stretch out the game even further.

Looking for any discussion or clarification anyone would have on this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Maynard
msg tools
Just played this one. Wish i had seen the thing about not getting possessed, I probably would have one. But if your sanity goes to zero from the dog, you die. So there is still a chance for the hero to lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Garrison
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
We're running into that issue in my current play-through. We're just treating the book as saying "If the Beast would deal lethal mental damage to the explorer with the cat, the explorer MUST discard the cat and prevent the damage, or die."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.