Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own a copy but I don't see it much at my local game store.

The issue I have with it is that I don't like building models anymore. If you could just get access to the cards that come with the base game and expansion models you could probably use any prebuilt 1/100 or other scale you like to play.

Game play itself is pretty introductory level. You may also want to take a look at the Airfix introductory game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I doesn't seem popular in my area... which is a bummer because the gameplay is quite a bit deeper than the simple elegant rules would lead you to believe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O B
United States
Mountainview
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well (as I speculated in my review) I think this game targets a weird intersection of folks who are OK with building models, but don't want a heavy complex game.

A lot of mini games which require assembly have ridiculously Baroque rulesets which take hours to play through, and that's OK because the game is really an excuse to hang out with friends and show off your models.

This game is too light with too few things to assemble and paint to satisfy those players.

However the X-Wing (Wings of War, Sails of Glory, Attack Wing, At-43, etc) players who appreciate nice toys but also want a quick game they can knock out in 90 mins are turned off by the effort of assembling AND painting the models.

I'd organize events at my FLGS but there's no interest as far as I can tell...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't exactly call it popular locally, but it does sell quite a bit and I have sufficient interest to run the OP events.

A number of purchasers play it at home, having become tired of the WizKids style OP events where you MUST have the latest to win. Tanks doesn't require that at all. Its a light wargame, quite fun as intended and pretty cheap to play.

The lack of popularity has been mentioned, in that the XWing players are horrified by the concept of putting models together, whereas the wargaming crowd finds it too light for a serious look.

Take it as a light, fun, wargame, or X-Wing on tracks, and it doesn't disappoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I bought a copy and a dozen extra tanks as I have a buddy who loves armor and computer games. He generally dislikes board games. We have played a few games of Tanks and we both enjoyed it.

I'll take the game to my monthly board game group this Friday and see if anyone wants to play. These are more hardcore gamers that enjoy Pandemic, zombie board games, Star Wars board games and the like.

I don't think I would buy this game unless I knew someone who would play it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games must be doing alright, Check out CSI, type in "Tanks" in the search engine and see all the tanks they have coming up this year. (for some reason if you do GF9 Tanks, not everything comes up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Johnstone
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Banzai Charge
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't know they had all the Afrika Corps stuff planned - awesome!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
The games must be doing alright, Check out CSI, type in "Tanks" in the search engine and see all the tanks they have coming up this year. (for some reason if you do GF9 Tanks, not everything comes up)

What is CSI?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool Stuff Inc - online retailer who I think has a brick and mortar store or two as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Hill
Canada
Durham Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CraigH wrote:
Cool Stuff Inc - online retailer who I think has a brick and mortar store or two as well.

I guess I don't have to let you know about this thread now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Vimy145 wrote:
CraigH wrote:

I guess I don't have to let you know about this thread now.

No, but you could help me find my wallet, I think it ran off and hid somewhere...

Nice thing about Tanks is, at roughly $10 a model it is affordable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeus Cat

Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dang! And I thought I had enough tanks! I always liked the Stuart; probably will only get the British version though (Honey). That means I need to get some German Mark IIIs and a few other things. The CSI prices are the best I've seen. I was paying $9 a model at my local game store.

And thanks for telling us about CSI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brown
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gave upon my local game store long ago, he always had to order stuff in and would stick it to me with list(or more). $5K later I now place $100 orders get free freight and 5% discount now from CSI. Don't need him, he can keep sticking his card flopper gamers. - So much for supporting local, moved on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorb wrote:
he can keep sticking his card flopper gamers

I'm going to show this to the MtG players in our drop-in centre! (I don't play it myself, but I just know they'll appreciate it!devil) A geek gold to you for a phrase I am going to use again and again!

While I sympathise with the plight of our local games shops, they should still try to nurture their customers - they don't have a right to complain when people go elsewhere.

when someone orders something I haven't got, I give them a discount for giving me a guaranteed order! The three other shops in Worcestershire, England (real shops, not like mine) all give discounts and are on first name terms with lots of their customers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Wiley
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
When it first came out, BOOOM!! (sorry). There was lots of excitement, demo games being played, lots of people interested. Then total lack of support, no starters, additional tank units being delayed, didn't even have any kind of showing at all at Gen Con 2016...

Now, the local stores have product, but they totally blew it on their window of opportunity and now people have already moved on to other games. No one at all around here is interested in Tanks and it never even gets mentioned. I'm sitting on a couple hundred $$ in Tanks and haven't played once other than some demo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
4stephen wrote:

...Tanks is stuck in a hole of its own making?

Is it a hole or is it a 'place' of its own making - perhaps it is simply where it should be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Airborne Engineer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that is exactly the target they were aiming for. They want this game to help spread the costs of producing plastic miniatures which is extensive unless you sell a lot of them.

They also want to draw people into Flames of War, so if you are unwilling to assemble and paint a few tanks then you are not a likely candidate to assemble lots of tanks, infantry and support.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.