Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have posted in the past within the Betrayal at House on the Hill forums regarding the lack of information on rules and game play mechanics once the haunt is triggered. Based on my experience, an inherent weakness in the base game occurs within the Traitor Tome and Secrets of Survival manuals, and I am saddened to see that the same problem has been carried over into the expansion.

We ended up playing Haunt #68 titled
Spoiler (click to reveal)
He Who Must Not Be Read

Here are my questions:

#1:
The Traitors Tome identifies that if a Hero is killed, they become a Wraith. Unfortunately, I could not find any stats for the Wraith. This has been brought up in previous rules threads, with no identified solution. Why is this critical information missing from the Traitors Tome? Please provide direction or errata for this aspect of the scenario.

#2:
The Traitors Tome specifically states that "If a hero dies, the hero drops all cards, becomes a Wraith, and joins your side. Does this mean that the dead hero's win condition switches to the Traitors win condition? If this is true, then if the Traitor kills all hero's (turning them into Wraiths) then all of the players WIN (due to the hero's joining the Traitors side when they become Wraiths)?

#3:
The final Special Item rule states that "When the Egg is broken: Inside is your soul, in the form of a Pen." What the hell does that mean? So Maldovo's soul takes the form of a Pen? Am I missing something, or was this written in another language, and we lost some meaning in the translation?

#4:
I think I understand this one, but I just want to clarify. So the Rabbit, Duck, and Egg have specific SPEED stats, thus allowing each one the ability to move. However, it does not have an attack value, and as such, cannot attack, correct? These are basically moving targets, which the hero's have to catch up with, and have to pass a specific skill roll in order to defeat each one?

#5:
The person who was the Traitor read the third bullet item under the heading "Right Now" as placing the #1 token in a room of their choice, then the rest of the tokens #2 - #5 in nearby rooms. This created confusion for the hero's as to what they were suppose to do. The hero's confronted item #3 first, and the Traitor had no idea what to do at that point, since the instructions do not address this, because its wrong. Now that I am reading over this after the game (I was a hero so couldnt help with interpreting the instructions during the game) I think what it is trying to say is to collect tokens #1-5 from the pool of available tokens, then place them off the game board. Then, add token #1 to the room of your choice, and then replace each token when the Special Item Rules dictate to do so, no matter what room they are in when the previous item is killed. The way our Traitor interpreted this really messed us up.

If Bart Carroll, or someone who participated in designing this scenario, can respond to, or otherwise clarify the instructions for this one, that would be great.

I wish I could have play-tested and provided editorial suggestions or revisions prior to printing. Such a fun game, until it all comes to a screeching halt because information is not available or presented in a confusing manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to remove the spoiler tags from the questions and just quote them directly. Those who don't want to read spoilers shouldn't be reading this thread anyway.

habanero wrote:
#1: The Traitors Tome identifies that if a Hero is killed, they become a Wraith. Unfortunately, I could not find any stats for the Wraith. This has been brought up in previous rules threads, with no identified solution. Why is this critical information missing from the Traitors Tome?

The FAQ from Widow's Walk indicates that a Wraith has traits equal to the explorer's starting values. Furthermore I think the implication is that you continue to use the Hero's figure (the Traitor's Tome does not say to use Wraith tokens).

habanero wrote:
#2: The Traitors Tome specifically states that "If a hero dies, the hero drops all cards, becomes a Wraith, and joins your side. Does this mean that the dead hero's win condition switches to the Traitors win condition? If this is true, then if the Traitor kills all hero's (turning them into Wraiths) then all of the players WIN (due to the hero's joining the Traitors side when they become Wraiths)?

The Secrets of Survival provides no instructions for a player whose Hero is killed. Rather it indicates that the Traitor can "consume" their soul. This leads me to believe that a Hero player who dies is out of the game, and their figure becomes a Wraith (monster) under control of the Traitor. I agree that the wording could be better.

habanero wrote:
#3: The final Special Item rule states that "When the Egg is broken: Inside is your soul, in the form of a Pen." What the hell does that mean? So Maldovo's soul takes the form of a Pen? Am I missing something, or was this written in another language, and we lost some meaning in the translation?[

This Haunt harkens back to the the folk tale of Koschei the Deathless. Bart Carroll described his inspiration for the Haunt in a blog post.

habanero wrote:
#4: So the Rabbit, Duck, and Egg have specific SPEED stats, thus allowing each one the ability to move. However, it does not have an attack value, and as such, cannot attack, correct? These are basically moving targets, which the hero's have to catch up with, and have to pass a specific skill roll in order to defeat each one?

Correct. The player who succeeds at opening the Chest has just completed a task roll. The rulebook indicates that "you can attempt only one such roll per turn," so that player cannot interact with the Rabbit, who "takes its turn in order after the hero who opened the Chest, and flees from the heroes as a monster with Speed 4." This gives other Heroes a chance to catch it and make a task roll, etc. (Also, the FAQ from Widow's Walk indicates that attacking a soulcrux ends a hero's turn.)

habanero wrote:
#5: The person who was the Traitor read the third bullet item under the heading "Right Now" as placing the #1 token in a room of their choice, then the rest of the tokens #2 - #5 in nearby rooms. ... I think what it is trying to say is to collect tokens #1-5 from the pool of available tokens, then place them off the game board. Then, add token #1 to the room of your choice, and then replace each token when the Special Item Rules dictate to do so, no matter what room they are in when the previous item is killed.

Yes, your Traitor screwed up. A better wording in the Traitor's Tome would have been "Put item 1 (representing the Chest) in a room of your choice. Place the other item tokens on your character card until needed."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben SPARKOWICH
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
When we played this last night, the concern was this - damaging a character reduces their statistics, so by reducing their physical stats to zero, my new wraith buddy had might and speed 0, because the rules don't give stats. Should we have adjusted them to base value? Up one from skull? I was a Lich with a shotgun and I lost, very disappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sparky61390 wrote:
...damaging a character reduces their statistics, so by reducing their physical stats to zero, my new wraith buddy had might and speed 0, because the rules don't give stats. Should we have adjusted them to base value?

Yes, the FAQ from Widow's Walk indicates that a Wraith has traits equal to the explorer's starting values.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.