Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I wanted a way to play DOOM solitaire. The Invaders are fairly complex and an AI for them would be a much larger project than I wanted to start.

The Marines on the other hand, by necessity of design in a 1v4, are individually much simpler. So I decided to automate them instead of the Invaders.

I call them Semi-Automatic Marines, because a fully branching AI is a larger project and I think an unnecessary one. You may have to make some minor choices for the marines at some points, but I've done my best to contain that all within parameters.

In this variant you will play as the Invaders, and all standard game rules apply.

Changes to the Marines and the Marine Deck are below.

-Use 4 marines

-Take 1 token for each basic weapon, and randomly assign a token to each marine. The extra tokens are discarded.

-For each marine take the cards for his weapon. Place the Main Action attack card next to the marine’s character card. This is his equipped weapon and the card he will use to attack each turn.

-Then create the Marine deck. Take all 4 sets of basic action cards, plus the 2 extra cards from each marine’s equipped weapon. Shuffle these together to make the Marine deck.

Marine Priorities

When taking an turn with a Marine, follow the priorities below to determine their actions.

-Win. If a marine can win the game or take an objective, they attempt to do so.

-Pick a destination. The default destination is the objective. Alternative destinations are weapons, medpaks and teleporters. No two marines can ever have the same destination, with the exception of the objective.

A marine chooses destinations in the following order.
-If a marine is at 5 or less health, and there is a medpak within movement range, the destination is the medpak.

-Otherwise, if there is a weapon within line of sight or within one map tile of the marine and the marine doesn’t have an upgraded weapon already, the weapon becomes the destination.

-Otherwise, if there is an inactive teleporter within line of sight or one map tile, the teleporter becomes the destination.

-If a marine can do more than one of these, they complete as many as they can following the above priority.

-Move to a destination.

Marines never sprint.

If a marine doesn’t have a specific destination set, it heads towards the objective.

Marines have 5 movement points a turn.

As soon as a marine has a legal target, it halts movement to attack.
Once a marine has attacked, it uses the remainder of its movement to head towards its destination.

Marines choose the shortest path to their destination, counting movement points, not squares.

-Attacking.

Each marine only ever has one equipped weapon. Make an attack using the card assigned to the marine per standard game rules. Assume that a marine can pay all costs required for the attack. For instance:

If a card requires a discard, play as if the marine discarded a card.

If a card allows or another copy of a card to be played, proceed as if another copy of that card were played. For instance, a marine with the Combat Shotgun will always attack twice.

If a card references a number of other cards, like the static rifle, assume that number is 1.

-Special Weapons.
When a marine gets a weapon upgrade, take the 3 card weapon set for the associated weapon, place the Main Action card from that set face-up over the currently equipped weapon. The new card is now the currently equipped weapon.
The other two cards are placed in the discard pile of the Marine deck.

When a marine makes an attack with a special weapon, after resolving all effects of that attack, flip the attack card facedown next to the marine’s card, so as to reveal the Marine’s original weapon. That weapon is now equipped.
The special weapon card will be turned face-up again when a Reload occurs.

The Marine Deck

The Marine Deck has two purposes.
To defend against damage, as per the standard game.
To reload special weapons.

When Marines are attacked, reveal the top card of the Marine deck as per the standard game.

Whenever a special weapon card is revealed, the marine with the associated weapon flips it face-up and equips it. If the weapon is already equipped, there is no effect.

The BFG.
Unlike other special weapons, when a BFG card is revealed, return that revealed card to the game box, then reload the BFG.

Class Cards

I haven’t tested the classes exhaustively. Some just might not work, but most do.
If a class has a discard ability, it becomes an exhaust ability.
A marine uses its class ability at the first opportunity.
The +1 hand size ability has no effect.

Glory Kills

If at any point during a turn, a marine can get a glory kill, it does so. The exception is that if the marine would win the game otherwise, it chooses to win the game instead.

Glory card abilities are used at the earliest opportunity.

Teleporters

Marines always respawn from the active teleporter closest to the objective. They do not use teleporters in any other way.

That's it.

It's possible I've forgotten to mention something! Feel free to ask questions, I'll update this thread as needed.

If this variant isn't to your liking, hopefully it gives you some ideas to work with.

If you try it, I'd love to hear about it.

• [+] Dice rolls
J. Reichler
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome idea.. And maybe a good way to practice being the invader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Yeah the Marines are pretty aggressive, just like human players should be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have some coins for effort, fantastic idea. Will try to test it out soon!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.