Subject: Extracurricular Activity Misprint? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't the following location have an explored/unexplored symbol?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Faculty Offices 14/21 and 15/21

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The scenario itself will tell you when to add that card and the side you use depends on factors in the scenario. It is not discovered like a standard location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was the same kind of thing for the explored side of the Woods cards in the core set. It seems when locations have subtitles, the explored/unexplored symbol is replaced with the subtitle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a reason to exclude this key piece of information or are all such cards always considered explored? If so, then what's the point of the unexplored side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
All locations are put into play "undiscovered" side down, even if they don't have the "keyhole" icon (this is the side without the shroud and clue values visible).

You will still have to move into the Faculty Offices to reveal them, and since they enter play locked, that will take a bit more maneuvering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems like an oversight to me. I only bring it up because I was forced to look at the shroud value and clue count to determine the unexplored side of the location. (Information that should be hidden) I can think of no reason these locations are missing this indicator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
It seems like an oversight to me. I only bring it up because I was forced to look at the shroud value and clue count to determine the unexplored side of the location. (Information that should be hidden) I can think of no reason these locations are missing this indicator.

I would presume that the reason of "Flavor Text" is the one which was in play here, as the cards are trying hard to be thematic, and they would rather have "The Night Is Still Young" than a keyhole.

Of course, when you open your pack, all the locations are already packed with the unrevealed side face up. On the off chance you or your cat scattered the cards, unrevealed locations have no graphic circles at all on their sides for shroud or clues, making it easy to quickly fan through the lot and see if any are reversed.

And finally, if even that is too much information for you to potentially see, then sort them by the bottom right corner: unrevealed locations never have a card set number next to the set icon, while revealed locations do. That way you can't tell what an unrevealed location is by its set number in those scenarios where there's multiple copies of the same location (such as Extracurricular Activities) or spare copies of locations with the same unrevealed side but different revealed sides (such as The Midnight Masks or The Devourer Below).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think flavor text and keyholes need be mutually exclusive. It's just annoying when I am sorting my cards and I come across these weird ones with missing information. Oh well, not a big deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
I NEVER look at the keyhole Just look at whether the location has a shroud value or not. If it does not it is the unexplored side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon George
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a location has a subtitle instead of a lock icon, the unexplored side still has extra bordering around the edges of the art and less collector number info at the bottom in addition to the absence of shroud and clue number bubbles. Really not difficult to tell which is which at a very quick glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be a little nitpicky, the Rules Reference never actually mentions the keyhole symbol; it specifically calls out the unrevealed side as the side without a shroud/clue value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.