Hide
7 Posts

Panzer Command» Forums » Rules

Subject: Range modifier and direct fire for artillery rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
I'm confused as to if direct artillery fire suffers from a range modifier, I would think no since indirect fire does not, but it does not specify the case anywhere in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think there is any such thing as "direct artillery fire" in PANZER (e.g. see 5.3), but I presume you are referring to direct fire done by on map guns/howitzers/SPA that should fall under 6.5.4 Direct Fire Step – GP Fire; they will use whatever range modifiers apply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
Ah ok maybe I am messing up my games?

So if artillery has an los to an enemy, they are affected by range modifiers than right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean an artillery piece firing directly or a spotter directing its Indirect Fire? They each have different phases, mechanisms and modifiers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Weiss
msg tools
an artillery piece firing directly, I cannot tell if it suffers the range modifier or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Direct fire will suffer all direct fire penalties (e.g. everything in section 6.5.4) but none of the penalties for indirect fire or anything related to using an observer for indirect/offboard fire.

Wait, hang on - I am total idiot who can't pay attention to which game is being discussed. This is the Panzer Command forum, not GMT's Panzer. Bloody hell, I must have been sending you on all sorts of wild goose chases. Sorry.

If I remember to do it, I will look into this tonight. I have not played this in about a decade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Liberto87 wrote:
I'm confused as to if direct artillery fire suffers from a range modifier, I would think no since indirect fire does not, but it does not specify the case anywhere in the rules.

Okay, this time with the right game's rulebook:
Yes, I read it that artillery definitely gets penalised for range during Direct Fire.

14.2 PROCEDURE states that you should use the "procedure and modifiers in 7.2".

7.2.2 Determine the Unit's Attack Strength points you to the "Combat Modifiers Chart" which, based on 7.3, is 99.99% likely to be the "Combat Modifiers Summary", which has a "Direct Fire" column that lists "Range -1 per intervening hex"; no exception for artillery is mentioned on the chart.

Note that 7.1, as expected from 14.2, only exempts mortars and only does so because they may not use Direct Fire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.