David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys! Had the game in english, complete collection of everything released, that I recently sold cause I wanted to buy the game back in my native language (french) cause it's simply more immersive to read the lore withough some french canadian english accent

I already bought the core game and I remember when I first got the game in english that Forsaken Lore was the best way to make the core set better and feel more complete.

So, in french the small expansions are really hard to find but my FLGS have both Mountains of Madness and Under the Pyramids available in french.

Would they be a good Plan B to expand the game a bit more and give more cards in the core decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just implement a good rule from mountains of madness which allows investigators another action option: focus (u can download the rules at FFG) and get pyramids.

my personal choice, because that is what I did...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although Forgotten Lore includes more mysteries for the core Ancient Ones The big boxes contain more gates which is another component absent from the core which is nice to have. I think most agree that UtP is better than Mountains of Madness but to me they are about equal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always suggest people get Strange Remnant. I think Forsaken Lore is overrated. It's more of the same whereas the other expansions have lots of new stuff (some really good like investigators, some not as important).

What Strange Remnant adds that Forsaken Lore doesn't:
-new investigators
-focus tokens
-new category of spells: glamour spells
-preludes
-unique assets
-a new expedition like deck: mystic ruins
-a uniquely different ancient one

It still adds to existing decks like items, artifacts, research encounters, location encounters etc. but you just get a little less of everything as compared to Forsaken Lore. The biggest thing you'll be missing out on is the extra 2 mysteries per base set ancient one.

For big box, Mountains of Madness has more content, but Under the Pyramids has higher quality content. Dreamlands so far also has high quality content according to several people, but there is even less physical components in there. Signs of Carcosa got mixed reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
Strange Remnants has many generic and regional encounters, new investigators, focus action, new player help (turn overview) cards, a better Ancient One. You get more extra mechanics with Strange Remnants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The key things that you might want from an expansion are:
1) more variety
2) new stuff

All expansions add more variety across all non-AO elements (Encounters, Assets, etc.). Foresaken Lore also adds more variety for the base game AOs, [i]. Big box expansions provide more "more" than small box expansions (I'm ignoring value for money considerations)

All expansions introduce new stuff, big box expansions introduce more new stuff than small expansions (2 AOs vs 1, 8 Investigators vs 4, side boards)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, Forsaken Lore is on the FFG schedule listed as "Awaiting Reprint", so hopefully that includes French copies.

UtP and MoM are certainly good, just be aware that most of the time you'll probably leave the sideboards alone. Good big teams of Investigators in both (and Dreamlands), so that's nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Magalhães
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sindriss wrote:
Although Forgotten Lore includes more mysteries for the core Ancient Ones The big boxes contain more gates which is another component absent from the core which is nice to have. I think most agree that UtP is better than Mountains of Madness but to me they are about equal.

Forgotten Lore besides including 2 new misteries for each existing Ancient Ones, it also includes 16 research encounter for each AO and 2 copies of each existing spell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aurelian
United Kingdom
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most people say UtP is better, but for me MoM is just as good and actually I think it would combine better with only the base game, because UtP has impairments which can create a slightly negative experience. With only UtP and the base game you'd have quite a high concentration of impairment cards, whereas it becomes less of an issue when diluted in decks with other expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmb
sthill46 wrote:
Most people say UtP is better, but for me MoM is just as good and actually I think it would combine better with only the base game, because UtP has impairments which can create a slightly negative experience. With only UtP and the base game you'd have quite a high concentration of impairment cards, whereas it becomes less of an issue when diluted in decks with other expansions.

I mean, you are fightning ancient evil, negative experiance is kinda guaranteed,lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well...why just get one big expansion when you can get both...so I bought MoM and UtP. On top of that my FLGS might get one copy of Forsaken Lore and Strange Remnants, both in french, in a few weeks so lucky me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ricking

Bryn Mawr
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon has most Eldritch expansions available currently, including Forgotten Lore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah but i'm looking for them in french and recently the canadian distributor changd for everything Edge so it doesn't help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.