Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some discussion about the quality of deluxe expansion boxes across the various LCGs. Whether or not they should use higher quality boxes and charge more, or use lower quality boxes and keep prices steady. As one of the few games that still has nice deluxe boxes, I'm curious what is typical within the LotR community.

[EDIT - Added a new poll with a new option based on feedback.]

Poll: LotR Saga/Deluxe Boxes
What do you do with your LotR LCG deluxe/sage expansion boxes?
Use them for card storage
Keep them for display purposes
Keep them for future resale or because you just can't bring yourself to throw them away
Cut them up to use the art for display or other storage
Throw them away
Other (elaborate in comments)
      74 answers
Poll created by Teamjimby

Original poll, for reference

Poll
What do you do with your LotR deluxe expansion boxes?
What do you do with your LotR LCG deluxe/saga expansion boxes?
Keep them for card storage
Keep them for display purposes only
Throw them away
      135 answers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used to keep the boxes intact for display purposes, but my place has gotten so cluttered that all I can keep now are the front covers. The hope is to be able to use all of the cover artwork in a display of some sort in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
You should probably add the option "keep them because I hate throwing away pretty boxes."

Never know when you might get a chance to use them for something... which is usually right after you throw them away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I keep all my player cards in in my CS box and all quest cards (after Mirkwood) in their deluxe or saga boxes. A deluxe box, with the insert flattened,is just the right size for hoholding 9 quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AHLCG boxes will be thrown away for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep them for future resale should I ever need to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Franklin
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tim-pelican wrote:
Gribbon wrote:

+1

+2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike De Groote
Belgium
Heist-op-den-berg
antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep them for resale or alternative storage that need the artwork I still need to build .When my second core box no longer is sufficient to keep all the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Taskonidis wrote:
AHLCG boxes will be thrown away for sure!

The price of potatoes in Oslo is so variable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Freeman
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
You should probably add the option "keep them because I hate throwing away pretty boxes."

Never know when you might get a chance to use them for something... which is usually right after you throw them away.

+1, although my hoarding of pretty, but unnecessary, board game boxes is improving - these are the last unnecessary bits of cardboard in my flat. Just can't bear to throw away such beautiful LOTR artwork .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboard Conundrum wrote:
ACGalaga wrote:

+1, although my hoarding of pretty, but unnecessary, board game boxes is improving - these are the last unnecessary bits of cardboard in my flat. Just can't bear to throw away such beautiful LOTR artwork .

They are pretty and it feels horrible to throw away such nice boxes (seriously, they are bomb proof). OTOH, other than hung as wall art in my (purely imaginary) dedicated game room/man cave, there's little actual utility to me in storing empty space inside cardboard containers tucked away in my attic.

I've also made the same excuse to myself in regards to hypothetical resale value. Eventually I concluded I was just fooling myself with this as an excuse for my hording. If I were to sell LotR or any other LCG, I can't think of any reason why I wouldn't sell it complete - e.g. all cards at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:

Based on the thumbs from this post, I added a new poll with this option. Please cast your vote again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I throw them all away. I keep all my cards in a Hobby Lobby Case(and I will soon need to buy a 2nd one because available space is rapidly disappearing). I used to keep expansion boxes for all my games, but it got to be clutter and I just started, reluctantly at first, pitching them. Now I don't think twice about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Teamjimby wrote:
There has been some discussion about the quality of deluxe expansion boxes across the various LCGs. Whether or not they should use higher quality boxes and charge more, or use lower quality boxes and keep prices steady. As one of the few games that still has nice deluxe boxes, I'm curious what is typical within the LotR community.

[EDIT - Added a new poll with a new option based on feedback.]

Poll: LotR Saga/Deluxe Boxes
What do you do with your LotR LCG deluxe/sage expansion boxes?
Use them for card storage
Keep them for display purposes
Keep them for future resale or because you just can't bring yourself to throw them away
Throw them away
      74 answers

Original poll, for reference

Poll
What do you do with your LotR deluxe expansion boxes?
What do you do with your LotR LCG deluxe/saga expansion boxes?
Keep them for card storage
Keep them for display purposes only
Throw them away
      135 answers

Pretty sure I've seen LotR expansions in the same small, thin cardboard boxes as the other current LCGs? This ship may have already sailed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.