Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Lotze
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)

1) When taking an advisor from another player's council room using The Holder of Secrets or The Seeker of Answers, does it refresh? (It doesn't seem like it does, as written, since there's no indication that it does -- but it /feels/ like it should, like raiding does.)
2) Similarly, when taking a relictablet using The Ninth Initiate.

3) Can you use the Antique Tablet, "Exhaust if you have no gold in your vault to add 12 gold to your vault." during the first winter, before you have added any gold from the first harvest? (It seems like yes, as written -- but it /feels/ like the answer should be no, because in that case, why have the limitation at all?)
4) Similarly, using the Ancient Tablet, "Exhaust if you have no fortune tokens to gain two fortune tokens." (Since setup has one place all cards from your storage chest in their appropriate locations, then take reputation and fortune)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1.) I think anytime you take an advisor from another player, that advisor refreshes as it goes into your council.

2.) Relics don't exhaust. If you mean tablets, then I believe they refresh as well.

When either advisors or tablets are plundered during a province raid, they are refreshed. This likely holds true any time they are taken from another player.

3.) and 4.) Both of those are usable only on the owning players turn. Sacred tablet specifically says "Exhaust at any time" on it, so it could activate a colony prior to Harvest in the first, or subsequent winters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Lotze
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

1) I agree that makes sense -- but I don't see any rule anywhere that says that it does. (Similar to how the Port upgrade seems like it should un-exhaust ship upgrades, like a repair action, but as worded, seems to only remove damage cards.) Without errata, it seems like the written rules don't indicate that it's refreshed when stolen by one of those advisors.
2) Oops! Yes, tablets. Thank you.

3/4) Ah, that would make sense. But where is the rule that says they are usable on the owning player's turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spidere wrote:

1) I agree that makes sense -- but I don't see any rule anywhere that says that it does. (Similar to how the Port upgrade seems like it should un-exhaust ship upgrades, like a repair action, but as worded, seems to only remove damage cards.) Without errata, it seems like the written rules don't indicate that it's refreshed when stolen by one of those advisors.
2) Oops! Yes, tablets. Thank you.

3/4) Ah, that would make sense. But where is the rule that says they are usable on the owning player's turn?

1. There are no rules that I know of, other than the raiding rules in the base game. My group also agreed to play this way.
2. Again, no rules. My group chose to leave tablets exhausted, as there is no other mechanism that allows a tablet to refresh within a game. Becq corrected me below.
3/4. Again, no rule. We also played that only the tablets that say "at any time" can be used outside of the owner's turn. Although, to be fair, this conflicts with our ruling that the Observatory can be used outside of a player's turn. Like the game, we are inconsistent at times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a rule, in the rulebook (no spoilers):

In the section on raiding:
Quote:
Treasure Room
Take one card from the defending
player’s treasure room and add it
to your treasure room, refreshed.
Adjust glory accordingly.

So when you steal a card (without specifying what kind of card) from an opponent' treasure room, you add it to your own treasure room refreshed.

Also,
the port does only what is says it does -- remove damage cards (and only basic damage cards, since it doesn't state otherwise). No impact on upgrades. You'd need a repair action at a location with a repair symbol (which the port doesn't include) to flip the damaged upgrades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything plundered from the treasure room or council gets refreshed.

I mentioned that above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, but you didn't cite the rule, Thomas asked for the citation, and Frank said there was no rule to cite. So I provided the citation.

Many (but not all) of the times the rulebook is accused of missing rules, it turns out that the rules *were* there, but were overlooked due to assumptions made before all of the rule stickers were placed -- much like this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
There is a rule, in the rulebook (no spoilers):

In the section on raiding:
Quote:
Treasure Room
Take one card from the defending
player’s treasure room and add it
to your treasure room, refreshed.
Adjust glory accordingly.

So when you steal a card (without specifying what kind of card) from an opponent' treasure room, you add it to your own treasure room refreshed.

Also,
the port does only what is says it does -- remove damage cards (and only basic damage cards, since it doesn't state otherwise). No impact on upgrades. You'd need a repair action at a location with a repair symbol (which the port doesn't include) to flip the damaged upgrades.

Thanks. I missed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Intersting ! 2 campaigns and 32 games, and we missed that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.