Subject: Your last played game(s) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Saw this idea on a different forum, and can't find anything similar here on BGG so thought I'd share it.

The idea is simple - mention and describe, in as much or as little detail as you like, what game(s) you have played most recently. You could perhaps include a few thoughts on what you thought of the game, whether it worked with your group, why you like/dislike the game, in what context you played it etc.

I'll start:

I recently purchased Ra after reading positive reviews on here, and got the chance to play it for the first time on Saturday. I'm fairly new to gaming, and it was the first auction style game I have played. I really enjoyed it, as did the other 3 people at the table. It was simple to teach and play, was pretty quick and didn't drag, and had a good amount of tension. I'm looking forward to playing it again!

I have also just ordered Inis, which should be arriving later this week. Am very excited to play that one again!

So, over to you all - what have you been playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Vale, 2 players. I conceded when it was obvious that I was 30 points behind and there was no point for me to keep playing. Most of the time, the player who's in the winning position is having fun while the other(s) don't and are frustrating more than anything. That does not make this a good game but one I want to sell.

Onirim (second edition), solo. My 55th play, and still trying different configurations. This time was Glyphs, Mirrors + door to the oniverse. I won! t'was fun.

Aeon's End, solo, 2 mages vs. Blight Lord. Boy, was the randomly generated market interesting I tried two characters I almost never play and won controlling two powerhouses. Surprising and interesting game, and not just because I won. 23 games, this is still my best 2016 game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. I tried teaching this to 3 other people, but the rules are still too many yet for me to keep all of them in mind. We errored in our favor for the win, but had we not I'm pretty confident it would have been a loss. I really want to master this game's rules, so I plan on getting some solo plays under my belt before I break it out for groups again. RC provides me an engaging puzzle with just enough dice luck to add anticipation w/o massive luck swings.

Zombicide: Black Plague. I'm willing to try any game twice, so when my friends broke this out I wanted to experience this highly-loved game for myself. I think there'll only be one other play of this in my future if any; I was not impressed. The game play was too simplistic, the theme was too bland, and the dashboard reminded me of plastic-molded game gimmicks from my childhood.

edit: Splendor. Simple game play, a good game to open or close a game night. It's not one I'll ever own, but I won't say no to playing it. I just wish I could play it competitively with my friends, but for some reason my strategies never come together.

edit: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1. This was the first time in playing any version of pandemic that we eradicated 2 diseases before game's end. We also had no outbreaks. I think I should buy a lotto ticket.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game of Pandemic last night because we were tired and didn't want to play something that required too much thought. It doesn't matter how many times we play Pandemic it is always enjoyable and pretty much the only game I expect to lose. We definitely lost, via outbreaks, but we were pretty close to running out of black cubes as well. We were very close to winning but it wasn't meant to be.

On a side note, great choice on buying RA. It is in my top five for sure and I think everyone needs to try it at least once or twice. We love auction games and have a ridiculous amount of them, but RA is the grand champion for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ginkgopolis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday we played Viticulture: Tuscany, Steampunk Rally, and River Dragons. Played Tuscany the day before, too. Day before that was Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Item for Geeklist "What did You Play This Week? January 16 - 22, 2017"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

Came in to find this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
I played two different games yesterday for a game day:

Rum & Bones and Boss Monster

Rum and Bones was a ton of fun! we played teams with two players on each team. I love the unique abilities of each "Hero" that you can bring into play, the kraken and sea monster, and the team aspect the most. The guy who owned it said that the Second Tide version changed some rules from the bass game to make it play smoother.

Boss Monster was... fun. I ended up purchasing the second boss monster game a few years ago as one of my first delves into this hobby. I had never played the first version until last night, and I'm glad I went with the second version over the first. I came real close to winning, but lost out due to one spell card a player pulled on me. Boss Monster, can be fun, no doubt about that. But ultimately it's not aged well with me. I brought it out often with friends who didn't know anything about this hobby, and for that I think it does very well. But when you've just played Rum and Bones and then move to Boss Monster, BM can seem a little lame in comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

This thread is a bit more specific: most recent played games and thoughts on them... not a generic add to geeklist list.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
matthean wrote:

This thread is a bit more specific: most recent played games and thoughts on them... not a generic add to geeklist list.

~V

That's what I was hoping to go for. The 'what you have played this week' thread and geeklist is really interesting, but seems to be less detailed and to lend itself to people listing the games they have played with little additional information about them. I was hoping for a thread where people talk primarily about their last game, adding more detail and thoughts than tends to be possible when summarising games for the whole week.

If the threads are seen to be too similar, though, then I am happy to remove this one. I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes or creating an unnecessarily similar second thread!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ell131 wrote:
If the threads are seen to be too similar, though, then I am happy to remove this one. I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes or creating an unnecessarily similar second thread!

I like this one more. Please keep it.

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Merchant of Venus (second edition)

I received this as part of Christmas as a secondhand purchase from another user here on the geek. After reviewing the rules several times, I sought out a chance with some of my crunchier gaming friends to get this game to the table planning for it to take 4 hours.

We played as a group of 3. Setting out the components and explaining the rules as a first game took over an hour. The rulebook was always nearby and frequently passed between players to be looked through between turns. I think that knowing the rules better now, I could probably explain everything in closer to 30 minutes to new players. There are enough edge cases though that I would expect there to be regular questions throughout the game unless it was a table of experienced players.

We agreed to play the game to 20 rounds rather than 30 because of the time limitation, but did not use the alternative rules at the back of the book for setup. So at the end of the game, it felt like we were just starting to get our game engines set up. We would certainly want to get in the full 30 turns next time. Having agreed ahead of time that 20 was the end, it still felt satisfying to play and the last few turns were spent turning resources into credits.

You can find much more detailed reviews about Merchant. I will end by saying that I look forward to being able to play this again, but will likely only be able to get this game out once or twice a year. It will sit in my collection to fill the long crunchy slot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ell131 wrote:
Veero wrote:
matthean wrote:

~V

That's what I was hoping to go for. The 'what you have played this week' thread and geeklist is really interesting, but seems to be less detailed and to lend itself to people listing the games they have played with little additional information about them. I was hoping for a thread where people talk primarily about their last game, adding more detail and thoughts than tends to be possible when summarising games for the whole week.

Not at all bashing your intent to make a thread, but you should check out the geeklist, it tends to be much more detailed than the WDYPTW thread. Pictures, mini session reports, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here you go:

Return to this page to see it change when I play the next game.

Here are yours:

You have not logged your play of Ra. Why is that? Should we just take your word for it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like everyone sticks with rather popular games.

Not me. I just played this obscure game called Star Wars: Destiny. Only used the starter packs, but there is a rumor that you can buy "boosters" that contain additional content.

Surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. Only wish it developed a larger following so that more stores carried it, as I cannot find a booster display anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
matthean wrote:

~V

Those are my recent plays and thoughts on them. I'm not going to write out anything lengthy considering there are geeklists for plays from the weekend, new plays for the month, new plays for the year, and new-to-me plays a year and 5 years later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aaj94 wrote:
Not at all bashing your intent to make a thread, but you should check out the geeklist, it tends to be much more detailed than the WDYPTW thread. Pictures, mini session reports, etc

Thanks, I will have a better look at it, am quite new here so don't fully know my way around the site yet!

a1bert wrote:
Here you go:

Return to this page to see it change when I play the next game.

Here are yours:

You have not logged your play of Ra. Why is that? Should we just take your word for it?

I haven't been documenting any of my plays on here for a while. I've got a little book where I write everything I play in, but should perhaps start documenting them here too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Catan: Junior on Friday, with my cousin and his son.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ell131 wrote:
I haven't been documenting any of my plays on here for a while. I've got a little book where I write everything I play in, but should perhaps start documenting them here too!

I enjoy documenting my plays in the box lids... though it's only for games I'm confident I'll never get rid of. It's an idea I picked up from when I used to listen to the BPPP podcast. It's kinda need to lift up a game lid and see all the scribbles and blurbs.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Best of Dragon Magazine Games (Floor 13) at Christmas with the gf, sister and my nephew.

So it's been a bit slow in terms of boardgaming. Things are getting back to normal again though and the group is meeting up this weekend. Not sure what we're playing yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagles with my brother and nephew. I shot down my brother after he shot down my first plane then my nephew shot me down giving my brother and nephew the victory. It was a close game. It came down to the last shots. I'm hoping to play again soon so that I may get my revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday I played Dixit: Odyssey with my boyfriend and my sister. I'd had oral surgery to remove a wisdom tooth that afternoon so wasn't up for much (but my brain was bored).

The evening before I played Terraforming Mars 2-player for the second time.
On Saturday evening we played T.I.M.E Stories: The Marcy Case with friends, where we failed 2 runs and saved the 3rd run for another day. This was followed up with a round of King of Tokyo. After our friends left, my younger sister requested to play Compatibility (she only likes very light games), which we'd never played before. This is the only game i've ever bought at a thrift store, and it cost $2. It wasn't too bad, though i'm sure it is better with more players.
On Friday I played 2-player Terraforming Mars for the first time and Rion and I both enjoyed it very much (hence the second playing on Sunday).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alli
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm visiting my parents so have been sticking to games they own copies of (so I didn't have to travel with as many) or ones I considered easy enough to teach them to bother bringing. Quite a few have hit the table in the last week or two.

Dominion: Second Edition - Base game. Relatively easy to teach, though it takes them a little time to figure out the benefits of all the various cards. (Have tried to stick to the simpler ones.) I have fun every time I play this and it's now on their want list too.

Mystic Vale - I got this one for Christmas and we have been playing it a lot ever since. My parents went out and bought their own copy so they can play when I'm gone! We all have a lot of fun with this game, it plays a little differently every time, and we have different winners every time. Our scores often end up drastically closer than we might have expected because there are various ways to score points.

Ascension - Base game. Not too hard to teach, they ended up getting the "Apprentice" edition which is for 2 players. Another fun deck builder, though my mom somehow seems to win most of the time. The added element of monsters makes it play quite a bit differently than either of the above.

Splendor - A favorite with all. It's often one we end the night with to wind down a little after playing something longer and more involved. I can't ever seem to win at this one, but I still love playing it!

Carcassonne: Winter Edition - Another easy to learn but harder to master game. Good, lighthearted fun! (With pretty artwork.)

Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries - I like this game much more than I expected. The Nordic version is perfect for 2-3 player play since the map is smaller. We sometimes have a hard time finding the cities since it's unfamiliar geography, but always have a good time. Would like to try this with my non-gamer aunt, but someone would have to sit out of playing.

Five Tribes - Was definitely harder for my parents to grasp. They spent the first few turns saying "I guess I'll do ____, though I don't know why." It got a little better as the game went on. Positive comments at the end and I think they'll enjoy it even more on a second play.

Völuspá - I LOVE this game! I picked it up because I liked the theming and it ended up being a perfect fit for me. It feels like a tile-laying version of chess, with just the right amount of strategy. Definitely a top 5 game for me right now. My parents were a little overwhelmed and couldn't remember what any tile did, which meant they kept having to ask (thus revealing their hand). Dad liked it more on a second play, Mom hasn't tried again yet. Probably not the best gateway game unless someone is familiar with games where each piece has different movement abilities. (Hive went over easier with them.)

Small World - Another Christmas present. Parents were very confused and unimpressed. The idea of going into decline and picking a new race was difficult for them, as was making use of their racial/special abilities. Shelved this until I have another group to try it with. They also don't seem to enjoy the idea of combat (aka killing other players or knocking them off tiles) so that automatically rules a few other games out too.

Jaipur - GREAT 2 player game. Very quick to teach, rulebook is simple and clear. Can be played in as little as 10-15 minutes if you only do one round. A nice, light game that is perfect to pull out with new gamers or when you just want something quick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugo! (1 week ago)

A fun card game for 2-4 players. We only played it four players whilst in Japan on holidays. We played this at the airport whilst waiting for our plane and again that night when we arrived back to my friends house and had some drinks.

It's a clever trick taking card game, where you need to measure up winning a hand with your current individual board state. It's simple, but there is enough to it to keep it fun for multiple plays in a row. All players grasped the game fairly quickly and everyone was pretty much a contender, although there were a few unlucky rounds which could effectively knock a player out of contention for winning.

Relatively small foot print and quick to play.

I don't know if I would recommend this over many of my other games, but for it's time and place it filled a time gap perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.