12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » PBEM » Werewolf

Subject: The Man with No Name Trilogy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Okay, so this is the third in my "Return of the Gunmen" games (not counting the short detour into 'fast gunmen').

This game will start on Friday, February 24th with as many people as are signed up - minimum player count of 11.

Definite role types include:

Villager:
You are a daykilling villager. You have the ability to post in the thread kill: player. This will immediately cause the target to die and the day to end. You win when all of the Werewolves (including the Sneaky one) are dead.

Seer:
You are a Wolf Seer. Once per night you can choose a player to investigate and I'll tell you honestly whether or not that player is a normal Werewolf. You do not have the ability to detect the Sneaky Wolf. You win when all of the Werewolves (including the Sneaky one) are dead.

Werewolves
You are a Werewolf. Your fellow Werewolves are x and y, and z is the Sneaky Werewolf. You may talk with the other Max Evils using a chat tool. You work together with all Max Evils to decide who to kill. You win when a night starts and there are as many evil players are there are good players left. Standard Werewolves have one gun between all three of them. If any of them shoot during the day, they all suffer the six hour delay (no, I am not going to announce their names at dawn - I'm not a complete idiot).

1x Sneaky Werewolf:
You are the Sneaky Werewolf. The Werewolves are x, y, and z. You may talk with the other Max Evils using a chat tool. You work together with all Max Evils to decide who to kill. You also have the ability to post in the thread kill: player. This will immediately cause the target to die and the day to end. You win when a night starts and there are as many evil players are there are good players left. If the Sneaky Werewolf dies, a random Werewolf will promote to Sneaky Werewolf (no Werewolves that have been viewed by a Seer will be promoted). This will only happen ONCE.

Possible Role Types (if the player count is large enough):

1x Mad Bomber:
The Mad Bomber doesn't believe in guns. He wants something bigger and brighter. Each night, the Mad Bomber may choose a player. That player is considered 'tagged'. Any night in the game the Mad Bomber may choose to not tag a player but instead detonate. This is a OPG ability. All players that are already tagged will take kill damage. Each successive night of tagging you get an increasing 25% chance of failure. If you bypass a night, the next night your success rate is reset to 100%. At no time can you ever "un-tag" a player.

1x Not Right In The Head:
You are an Aux Evil. You're not really sure what's going on. You have the ability AT ANY TIME OF GAME (as long as players are allowed to post) to blow yourself up. If you blow yourself up, you may take any one other player out with you. You also have a tripwire temper. If you are ever tagged by the Mad Bomber, you both instantly die (in a loud and thunderous boom).

Basic Rules for Gunmen:
- Please bold your kills. If a kill is not bolded it will not be counted, and you will look stupid. As with normal voting, if you edit a [kill: player] post before I see it, it will not count.
- For each time you have daykilled before, you must wait 6 hours after day dawns before you can kill again. So if you have killed three times, you may not kill during the first 18 hours of the thread being open, etc. If every living player has shot and killed someone, I will remove six hours of waiting from every player. Not "every living player that can kill", but "every living player". I am not meta-clearing anyone with this, I just don't see a reason to make the entire game wait 12 hours before anyone can kill, for example.
- If you don't have a daykilling ability, please don't fake it or I will modkill you for real. This is not a joke.
- No posting after you're dead. If you've been daykilled, and you post anyway, well, I can't modkill you again, but you're dead. Shut up. I will do my best to keep the thread title up to date with the most recent Night Kill and the most recent Day Kill. Bottom line? Pay attention before you start timewarping.
- Inactivity will get you replaced, possibly without warning. If you are going to be away for more than 72 hours please say so in thread.
- No talking about the game outside of the thread, except as your roles allow.
- If conversation slows, I will impose a deadline. If no kill has happened when the deadline comes to pass, so be it. Expect these deadlines to be in the neighborhood of a 48-72 hour day.
- Don't publicly quote any PM's from me.
- No small or hidden type. No ciphers.
- Be respectful to your moderator and to each other. Arguing is part of the game, but stay away from personal attacks and abuse. We're trying to have fun here.

My standard rules (obviously a bit modified - read 'em):

Night Orders:

No day will begin until all players have let me know that they are ready for the next day. If 24 hours has passed since a player has been killed, I will assume that you are okay with starting the next day cycle. Wolves and Seers must all submit their night orders before they approve the sunrise. Dawn will be whenever it will be. Absolute worst, it will be no later than 30 hours after the previous day kill.

Role Reveal:

All roles will be revealed on death (regardless of method)(Full Role Reveal).

Replacement / Posting Rules:

This is not a "Post For Your Life" game. However, anyone who does not communicate at least once during a Dawn - Dusk cycle will be put up for replacement. Valid communication includes:
Posting in the thread, or
Geekmailing the moderator.
Exceptions will obviously be made for anyone that announces ahead of time that they will be away from the internet.
Players will be allowed to replace themselves (clicking on the replace icon indicates that you are near the internet - right?).

Please do not sign up for the game if you do not plan on being an active player. Thank you.
You are required to show a proof of life within 24 hours of the first dawn.

Please note that these are "bare minimums". The moderator has the right to hit the replace button in spite of your meeting the "one post per day" guideline if you are unresponsive to geekmails / modchat queries. This will not be done capriciously and will only be done after consultation with outside parties, to ensure objectivity.

Making out-of-game promises to other players in order to influence their actions in a game is against the rules, so is quoting something told to you by the moderator directly from a private geekmail, unless I specifically say otherwise. Paraphrasing such things is usually allowed.

Personal attacks or offensive language will merit a warning. If I tell you that you are being a problem to another player, you need to take a hard look at how you are playing. It will be better for the game if you replace out, rather than force me to act in a harsh fashion. This is subjective, so I will always get a second opinion before acting. At any rate, I'm tired of the hostility and the occasional attitude.
Police yourselves, please.

META RULES:

1. I will allow players to geekmail me before the game and request a role. They can do this by requesting a specific role, an alignment or "anything but".
2. Editing posts is discouraged, but in most cases, it will not elicit anything other than a "tsk, tsk" from another player. However, if you [vote nightfall] and then edit your post to cancel that vote, you will be modkilled. There are no second chances.
3. Deleting posts is considered very poor form. Unless you are deleting one of two identical posts, just let it go.
4. If you post game-changing information after you have been killed - for example, seer views, fake seer views - a random member of your team will be modkilled. This is not negotiable.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

As an FYI, here's Snaak's "Guide to Playing Werewolf on BGG!" (now maintained by PeteVasi).

Here is a Dictionary of terms that are used often in our BGG WW games: /wiki/page/BGG_Werewolf_PBF_Dictionary

Here is a (not all-inclusive) list of Roles that are commonly used here on the Geek: /wiki/page/BGG_Werewolf_PBF_Role_List

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
For consideration:

TheSparky wrote:

ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Something I noticaced about our community is that many of us have high ranking poster microbadges: mb mb mb mb

And some of us have these: mb mb mb

And some even have this: mb

But few of us have this: mb

This doesn't need to be.

------

I would like to encourage everyone to use mb more.

I know that we don't like to use it while in the midst of a game, but there is no reason why a game thread that has over 60 players only has 29 mb. (I'm looking at you, Massacre).

Thumbs cost us nothing, and are a great way to say, "Thank you!" or "Great Addition to our community!" or even just "Hey, I hear you bro!"

So here is my mb challenge:

devil Every game should have at least the number of mb as there are players.
ninja Any game you read and enjoy should also receive your mb.
zombie Any non in game post that you enjoy, gets your mb of approval.

We're a really supportive community. While I know we are not the For the Love forums, we can at least show the support we actually have.

In other words, read the Wolfie thread and don't be stingy with your thumbs!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Courtesy of contiguity:

As a new player, you might feel like shutting down and/or giving up if this happens to you, but here's alternative recommendations.

Join dead chat
In real life werewolf games, it's harder to discuss the game, due to the risk of players overhearing, and the mod being busy with the game.

Online, it's easy for players to join a chat room and discuss the game. As the game goes on, the chat room slowly gets bigger and it's fun to go from a more critical environment in game to one of realization and commentary.

Get spoilers (or create them yourself)
Some games are spoiled, so you can see all the roles when you die. In games that are not spoiled, the mod may allow sharing of results from your mod chats, allowing you to slowly get information as players die.

But it's also fun sometimes to follow along in the game without spoilers, or at least wait a few days and guess yourself.

Discuss what happened
If there were particular reasons for getting voted, now is a great time to discuss it in dead chat, while it's fresh in everyone's mind. The player who's nightkilled will be joining you shortly, and you can discuss it more with others the following day. If there's other villages in the game, you can discuss how they got chosen and get an outside perspective.

You can also get their reads and compare your impressions with theirs. Players can interpret the same posts in different ways and come away with a different impression.

Finally, if you've done all the above and still want to play, sign up for another game. There's frequently new games starting, and you can always come back later to your old game to see what's going on. You might even see some of those players in the new game.

Hopefully you take it as an opportunity to stop, watch, and comment rather than a time to give up. It can be annoying to being out of the game when you've just started, but there's always the next game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
NEW RULE:

Bottom line: If you can't be an active player, replace out. For the sake of every player that plays to the end and has zero idea whether you're good or not, play or get out. Stop sitting in a role if you're a minimalist.

No one cares how good you play. No one expects anyone to be Avin but Avin. No one can be nolemonplease but nolemonplease. The only people judged against ljtrigirl's standards is ljtrigirl, and ditto for every single player. Play to your ability and everyone will appreciate it. Judge yourself against your history, not against everyone else's or some mythical 'forum standard'.

But take note - you will be judged (and not favorably) if you are absent and continue to be absent. Don't meet the minimums and then hide. Don't beg to stay in 'because tomorrow will be better' unless you can guarantee it. Don't be scared to play.

That won't cut it anymore. Not in my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Want to join other games?
Here's my most recent advertising post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassandra Project
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Player List According to Cassandra:

0 players are signed up.

To sign up for this game go to
http://cassandrawerewolf.com/game/1713513

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Westwood
Kansas
flag msg tools
Smile!
badge
Smile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Signed up to shoot gel at dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
gelrod wrote:
I've signed up under the stipulation that I'm tough.

Reminds me of a joke ...
If you punch yourself and it hurts, are you too weak? Or too strong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Zarski-Riley
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
I may or may not be a Wolf
badge
I am a cloud
mbmbmbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
United States
flag msg tools
Well, this game will not run with four players. So I bumped it to April. It runs then or it is hidden until next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skot Holcombe
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I just signed up on Cassandra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skot Holcombe
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
linguistfromhell wrote:
Well, this game will not run with four players. So I bumped it to April. It runs then or it is hidden until next year.

So looks like next year then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.