Subject: Feeling Dirty rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
Anyone else found that using a 5x blocker on the outside against their 7x receiver, card 1, feels dirty? I have been able to chain that with my 3x lineman next to Team Player lineman getting in toward the QB then again blocking on the outside, this time at only a +2, then extra activation for the tackle. It works in reverse also unless they take off with their 7x card 1. Is this legal, bouncing extra activations between 2 players until the tackle is made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have bounced activations between two players like you say (once I did it on offense with the Trucks two fullbacks), but the issue with that is that even under the best conditions there is still a 1/12 chance of failing, which totally wrecks your play. And chances are, if they line up their five next to your seven, they will either

a) Motion the seven to the other side of the field on second motion.
or
b) Move it first and totally beat the five on the outside.
or
c) Just run the ball with their 5-rated player to the other side, where chances are the players are weaker.

You can use that occasionally, but if the 5v7 matchup is your whole gameplan, they will just play around it. But even if you get to make the block, if you only get a partial, which happens a third of the time, they just break free of your coverage and are wide open. A smart opponent knows how to keep this from being broken. But some lucky dice rolling can make it an OP move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hleist wrote:
Is this legal, bouncing extra activations between 2 players until the tackle is made?

That's perfectly legal! If you continue to make total success rolls [10+], then you can continue to make free activations.

hleist wrote:
Anyone else found that using a 5x blocker on the outside against their 7x receiver, card 1, feels dirty? I have been able to chain that with my 3x lineman next to Team Player lineman getting in toward the QB then again blocking on the outside, this time at only a +2, then extra activation for the tackle. It works in reverse also unless they take off with their 7x card 1.

It shouldn't feel dirty at all as you set-up the formation, made the play call, and executed it. That's just football! I'll add that this strategy will be hard to pull of against an experienced coach. Most will recognize those threats after seeing the defensive formation and make a play call and possibly some pre-snap motions to counter the obvious moves and attack angles. It's the pacing, rhythm, and frequency of combo blitzes like that one that will catch people off guard later on.

Learning to see the mismatches that you've created and properly countering [or completely eliminating them] is part of what should be fun about learning how to play specific teams, coaches, and the game in general. After a few months of play, you and your fellow coaches will more than likely be competing at a very different level of play than you are now, and I thinks that a cool thing. There's a lot of game to explore!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.