Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 2vs2 match of codex.

You and your teammate play your turns simultaneously. This makes the match much faster than if the 4 players were doing free for all.

We were blue and purple vs red and green.
It was very fun to have blue pig disable a big unit for a couple of turns until purple got undo to get rid of that unit completely

It helps a lot that you can look at teammates hand and coordinate attacks together. And having a semi shared patrol zone is very nice

Winning condition was censorship counsel with two omegacrons.
Purple also stole red's bloodburn which helped a lot clearing units.

The rules for this mode works nicely and encourage coordinated attacks.
There are still some rules I amnot sure of about addons that I will ask about later

Overall it was a fun experience and would definitely recommend you trying it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McLeod
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. It takes about as much time as 3 players, but works even better. Plus, you've got a friend to chat and scheme with.

3-player free-for-all was way too tough for new players to figure out, since the winning condition is a lot less straight-forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, 2v2 is excellent. You end up with quite a big table with a lot of stuff on it, so it can be confusing for newer players, but it's great fun, and you can set up some awesome combos.

The rules for addons aren't too bad. Tech Lab, Heroes' Hall and Surplus all work only for the player who built them, just like you'd expect. Things only get complicated for the Tower, and there are just two special rules there: (1) a Tower owned by either head protects both heads equally (still only detects once per turn); and (2) you can't have both heads build a Tower.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't tried it, the 2v2 format appeals to me much more so than the FFA format at 3+ player counts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Krasny
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have 2 patrol zones or just one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The teammates share one patrol zone
So you have two squad leader positions etc.
You cant patrol your units in your teammate half of the patrol zone (his board)

But you can leave your half completely open if your teammate is putting enough blockers in his half

Opponent must clear patrollers from both boards befor attacking other targets

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely want to give this a shot. Do you think each player having only 2 specs would speed up the game or ruin the experience? Most of the people I play with are really new and our 1 vs 1 games with 3 heroes can take over a hour at times. I figured a 2 vs 2 game would be a fun social game with some beer and snacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wood
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does 2v2 work well with just the core set, or do you need all the components of the deluxe set to pull it off?

Really wanting to try this out, both as a 1v1 and 2v2, but don't have anywhere near the cash available for a deluxe set...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
The Core Set has the red faction (3 heroes) and the green faction (3 heroes). When you play the game in the 3-hero mode, meaning 3 heroes per player, that's only enough for 1v1. So you'd need a second core set OR one of the two expansions to have enough cards for 2v2.

You could play the game in the 1-hero mode and have enough cards for 2v2 though if you wanted.

You'll also need boards for each player. A single core set only has enough for 2 players, but you can print two additional boards yourself if you want. The starter set boards work fine and you can get them for free as a print-and-play here: http://sirlingames.com/product/#/4291444164/codex-starter-se...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.