Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Rose
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello gamers,
I am looking for recommendations for city building games. I am looking for something that offers the following:

1. Quick playing (less than 30 minutes), easy to teach/learn, kid-friendly (age 6 and up; bonus if it works for a 4-year-old)
2. Works well with four players, but is still playable with two or even solo.
3. Little or no direct conflict between players.
4. No natural disasters or other random disruptions.

I think I am really looking for two games. I want something that will teach younger players the basics of urban design and the interaction of land uses without straying too far into micromanagement. I also want something that offers more depth in the management of people, resources, and money. This second, heavier option is probably the one that needs to work well solo. If I can get all of this in one box, that's great. But I am open to getting two separate games. I would prefer a modern, urban theme rather than a peasant village but that's probably not a deal breaker.

As far as kid friendly goes, my 6yo picked up the strategy in My First Carcassonne right away and loves it. She can play along with the mechanics of Patchwork but doesn't really get the strategy. She loves simple card games of the old maid/go fish variety. A little math at the basic addition & subtraction level would be fine. Fun, kid-oriented visuals would definitely be a plus.

Thanks,
Martin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Cities comes to mind. It's a tile-laying game that's pretty abstract (you could accomplish the same thing by laying tiles of various colors . . . the city part isn't critical to the game). It's fast and pleasant and can be played solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Between Two Cities is a good game but I am not sure whether your child will find it hard to play or not.

Santorini is more of an abstract game but has visual of building a city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For a simple one, maybe Ginkgopolis might work. It's using numbers and letters, but no text, and you only have to recognize and match them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Town Center (fourth edition) is awesome and fits most of your criteria. Works great solo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksandra Kuhl
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quadropolis
Works with my 6 yo. Pretty, fast and no fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia

1. Quick playing (less than 30 minutes), easy to teach/learn, kid-friendly (age 6 and up; bonus if it works for a 4-year-old) Check. 2 player game can be played in 30-45 mins
2. Works well with four players, but is still playable with two or even solo. Check
3. Little or no direct conflict between players. Check
4. No natural disasters or other random disruptions. Check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Esvath wrote:
Between Two Cities is a good game but I am not sure whether your child will find it hard to play or not.

+1 Between Two Cities. It's for 1-7 players (though the solitaire rules involve cards with text), and plays quickly regardless the number of players. Since players cooperate with the players on their left and right, even young children can play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Schema Man
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Town Center (fourth edition) Here are a few others:

Card City (works well for solo play)

The City (this game is fun and should be reprinted in English! #publisherspleasepickupthecity

Small City Just realized you wanted 30 or so minutes so striking through, but still recommend if you have time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rose
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to look at all these in more detail. I think Suburbia looks most like what I want for myself but I am not sure the kids are ready for it. Between Two Cities looks promising also.

Santorini looks beautiful and really fun, though not quite the city builder I am after. It is a likely future purchase for sure.

Does anyone have thoughts on New York 1901? It is not quite the city manager vibe I am looking for either, but it looks fun and family friendly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spatialyst wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I will have to look at all these in more detail. I think Suburbia looks most like what I want for myself but I am not sure the kids are ready for it. Between Two Cities looks promising also.

Santorini looks beautiful and really fun, though not quite the city builder I am after. It is a likely future purchase for sure.

Does anyone have thoughts on New York 1901? It is not quite the city manager vibe I am looking for either, but it looks fun and family friendly.

When I saw the first couple of your lines I was going to recommend New York 1901 but it doesn't have that management aspect you were looking for.

It is a terrific game. It is one that is easy to pick up and learn but there is enough depth and decisions to appeal to more experienced gamers. While it does lack the city management aspect it does reward spatial reasoning and forward planning. With bonus cards added to the game, the forward planning becomes even more critical.s

Quadropolis is another good one although, it too, lacks the city management you are looking for. It does have lots of tough decisions and I think of the tile placement and resource acquisition/use to be like Suburbia-light. (the turn-by-turn arithmetic is much more straightforward).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Rose
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have thoughts on Machi Koro? It seems to fit the bill as far as being light, quick, and fairly accessible for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingdomino
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.