Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is boardgaming making us fat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter F
Sweden
Gothenburg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Look I am a bit concernerned. Being new to the hobby I browsed through a number of gameclub webpages and noticed a couple of things: Members were male - well I am not shocked by that but rather that a fair number of them were fat. Is this a general problem in the hobby? If so is someone doing something about it? Is it getting any attention at the Cons etc?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesus, I thought we could get away from it, but here it is again. My weight as well as my health and life style is none of your damn business. Keep your opinions about anyone's weight to yourself, please.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Johnson
United States
Boonville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SABATAI wrote:
Is it getting any attention at the Cons etc?


Yep, I'm sure gamers would want to take time out of their convention schedules to go to a Weight Watchers meeting. Great idea shake

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Americans in general are getting fatter. More carbs these days I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Alexander Heijnen
Norway
Halden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming will never make you fat. Eating makes you fat. And who the hell cares? It's your own body.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hwang
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's plastic that's making us fat, including plastic bits from the games...
You can read about it here;
http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/health-fitness/Our...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
She liked farming...
badge
...he preferred stabbing things in the neck.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it's the bling that makes me phat.
26 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shininiu wrote:
No, it's plastic that's making us fat, including plastic bits from the games...


That's why i prefer eurogames with wooden bits. Tasty and light!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LilRed wrote:
Boardgaming will never make you fat. Eating makes you fat. And who the hell cares? It's your own body.


I agree.

But I do care. If it's your own body, then you should pay for your own health care.

If I bought a car, and rarely changed the oil, gave it the least maintenance possible, what should I do when it breaks down? Should I ask for some free government subsidized mechanic service? Or should I pay for it myself because my own negligence created the situation?

Should someone's taxes be used for this? What if they take care of their car? Why should they have to pay for my negligence?

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Lethbridge
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
Game group needed...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We're seeing a huge 'epidemic' of obesity all over the world with North America leading the charge. I doubt that gaming has anything to do with it. There's just more obese people around. It's a simple formula. More calories in that out = weight gain. More calories out than in = weight loss.

In the health care system, the impact is enormous. Rates of diabetes with the coincident side effects of heart attacks, kidney failure, limb loss etc. are going up and up. There are people who are so big that they have to be weighed on the freight scale because the regular scale can't accommodate them. There are people who can't fit in the CT scanners. Hospitals are ordering extra wide wheelchairs. Sometimes it takes multiple people or mechanical lifters to transfer patients.

It's a frightening problem, and it's largely preventable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tompy wrote:
LilRed wrote:
Boardgaming will never make you fat. Eating makes you fat. And who the hell cares? It's your own body.


I agree.

But I do care. If it's your own body, then you should pay for your own health care.

If I bought a car, and rarely changed the oil, gave it the least maintenance possible, what should I do when it breaks down? Should I ask for some free government subsidized mechanic service? Or should I pay for it myself because my own negligence created the situation?

Should someone's taxes be used for this? What if they take care of their car? Why should they have to pay for my negligence?


The battle for/against universal/socialized medicine in the USA still continues, but this is a great point. Why should the economy be taxed to pay for healthcare for people who don't care about their health?

If you abuse narcotics or alcohol, if you're obese by choice, if you smoke cigarettes, if you get an STD through high-risk behavior, or if you are an extreme-sports junkie, tell me why the economy should pay for your health care???

To get off-topic, I'm up for a bitchin game of Twilight Imperium 3! Now to find 5 other people who feel the same way...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Peterson
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
I definitely think this problem has little to no connection to the hobby, you'll see tons of overweight people who don't play boardgames.


Emphasis mine... Am I the only one who groaned while reading this post?

-JEEP
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Avatar
you also have take age into account. as you get older you will often put on weight. As quite alot of the users of this site are over 30 that is one of the biggest factors.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get up, get up, get up, get down, fall over.
United Kingdom
Bolton
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
For some reason, some people (wild oats hippies) think that food has to be slow to be healthy.


No, no, no. Food has to be slow to be good. Take time to grow the plants or animals, time to harvest or kill and hang, time to prepare, do it right.

Fast food, whether healthy or unhealthy is crap food.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rourke
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I've just checked some photo's from before my time playing boardgames...

I was definately fat then as well...

Time for a round of Golf(profi) me thinks - Ahh, Exercise
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
The battle for/against universal/socialized medicine in the USA still continues, but this is a great point. Why should the economy be taxed to pay for healthcare for people who don't care about their health?

You mean people who join the Army?
Well - most of them don't know it better, so it is up to you to be a little more open minded.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brooks
Scotland
Stirling
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming is not making people fat. Doing too little exersise while eating too much junk is making people fat. People have the choice as to what weight they are, some people choose to be fat and unhealthy, some people choose to do some exersise. I know which one I prefer.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Jacy
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
Tompy wrote:
LilRed wrote:
Boardgaming will never make you fat. Eating makes you fat. And who the hell cares? It's your own body.


I agree.

But I do care. If it's your own body, then you should pay for your own health care.

If I bought a car, and rarely changed the oil, gave it the least maintenance possible, what should I do when it breaks down? Should I ask for some free government subsidized mechanic service? Or should I pay for it myself because my own negligence created the situation?

Should someone's taxes be used for this? What if they take care of their car? Why should they have to pay for my negligence?


The battle for/against universal/socialized medicine in the USA still continues, but this is a great point. Why should the economy be taxed to pay for healthcare for people who don't care about their health?

If you abuse narcotics or alcohol, if you're obese by choice, if you smoke cigarettes, if you get an STD through high-risk behavior, or if you are an extreme-sports junkie, tell me why the economy should pay for your health care???

To get off-topic, I'm up for a bitchin game of Twilight Imperium 3! Now to find 5 other people who feel the same way...



Cuz every life is precious (?). Or I think that's the prevailing thought on the healthy subsidizing the unhealthy, that even if you don't care about your health, society is "better off" when others do. Otherwise things like Fire Fighters and Cops wouldn't exist because, well you are supposed to take care of your dwelling and make sure it doesn't combust, and you are supposed to protect yourself so you don't get robbed, etc. In the U.S. you do the best you can on all these accounts, and if you fail the govt. attempts to help you.

Just some thoughts, I don't necessarily endorse in full, but some thoughts. Plus, even people who do "take care of themselves" get sick, and who gets to make the decision if you "did enough" to prevent whatever ends up ailing you?

I wonder if all those making lists asking which games are good while camping/hiking/etc. are also obese and diabetic? ;-)

-jjacy1
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ipgyst wrote:
Why should the economy be taxed to pay for healthcare for people who don't care about their health?


It already is, in a vastly expensive way. The cost of supplying health care to the uninsured 10% would pay for their actual health care many times over, if they were merely given it free. A majority of health care expenditure in America goes on "inefficiencies, excessive administrative expenses, inflated prices, poor management, inappropriate care, waste and fraud." This causes economic disruption, which is in itself a serious financial burden. By 2020 America will be spending 20% of its GDP on health [4 trillion dollars a year] and that will disrupt the country more than any external threat.

"Mortality amenable to health care" is a notable area of failure, which means they know they could save lives if they spent more money. Deaths from diabetes is a prime example of this, and that is directly linked to obesity. In itself a premature death can be expensive.

The bottom line answer to the question is that it would probably save money to do this, and America has to cut health-care costs, sooner rather than later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I find myself less drawn to boardgaming in the warmer summer months of Utah, in the American West, because there is more to do outside and my mood in general is much lighter. Plus, I have two solid months of no work, so no need to escape from those pressures, although I do have to write a best-selling textbook during that time, prepare for Fall classes, and fix every single broken thing in my home.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man Unmasked
United States
Fort Meade
Maryland [MD]
flag msg tools
designer
www.inkshares.com/books/the-professional-corpse
badge
My Prepping to Publish Happy Dance
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
Which boardgame burns the most calories? I know you walk around the table when you play pitchcar


The huge large version of IceTowers that Looney Labs runs at cons. A game that normally takes a table top and pyramid playing pieces that stand half an inch to an inch and a half tall is played in a ball room with pieces standing up to two feet tall. This is also a turnless game, so you can imagine how much running around there is.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It the chocolate, pop, and eating lot of food that has contributed to my fat. That and I never exercise. I was overweight before I started coming to the geek, boardgaming has nothing to do with it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
The health care argument is something that is quite valid to talk about, but I dislike it because it is inherently adversarial.

But the problem is relevant, but I find it more palatable to look at it like this: we've met a lot of friends through this hobby, and we enjoy their friendship and company. Obesity is a tremendous challenge, and it takes a lot of environmental support to help people kick the habit of abusing food. I know this: I'm a fat bastard working on losing weight (some details on my blog at apotheos.net).

So I think it is vital to extend that hand to help our friends up and out of that health problem.

But, its their god damn lives and if they've decided they don't want to fight that fight respect their individuality and leave them and their Cheetos alone already.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Jesus, I thought we could get away from it, but here it is again. My weight as well as my health and life style is none of your damn business. Keep your opinions about anyone's weight to yourself, please.

Why do you assume he's talking about you?

8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Check out Weaponsgrade Tabletop on Youtube!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming isn't making anyone fat. Videogames aren't making anyone fat.

They just happen to attract people who would be fat anyway, because they

A. Don't exercise
B. Sit around
C. Don't care

I am in alot of those categories, and am overweight, but like all of my other overweight friends and acquaintances that game with me, we were fat or chubby long before we were gamers.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.