United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title asks...

Have you deliberately chosen to buy fewer Asmodee/associated games?
Must you buy fewer because of raised prices, and can't afford as many?
Do you prefer to buy other companies' games in a form of protest?
Do you not care and still continue to feed the obese ANA behemoth as fast as you can shove money into its slavering maw?

Personally, I have chosen to buy fewer of their games, and have made it a point to spread my gaming money to companies other than Asmodee as a form of futile protest- but hey, it makes me feel better, and I have discovered how good CMON games really are, as well as Privateer Press and Monolith Games.

I realize ANA will continue their distasteful way of jacking up prices to make more profit, but that doesn't mean I have to willingly play along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The all-seeing, all-knowing, all-trollin' Mike Hutton
United States
moline
illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CMon makes.better games anyways. Screw ANA, they can go to hell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think multiple poll questions (maybe 5-ish questions with 5 options within each question) would get you data on many fronts if you are sincerely interested in the questions you pose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What pricing policy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Edwards
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not care for their pricing policy and and my opinion of the company and its subsidiaries has definitely fallen. And I have of course noticed that games are now less discounted than they used to be. But honestly, if their product appeals to me I'm still going to buy it. Psychologists call it Games Workshop syndrome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since the Star Wars and LCG craze, I've been weaning myself off FFG.
Z-Man games are fine but they're few and far between, and print runs never seem to be large enough.
The only Plaid Hat games I've picked up are Mice and Mystics-related and they've been released so rarely that I'll only be throwing them my money every few years.

My limited budget now goes to;

Eagle-Gryphon: Their massively overproduced games are a joy

GMT: I love spending my money on this company. Their customer service is the BEST in the industry, bar none, and their games are engaging.

Portal Games: I've recently started picking up their games, with the lavish reprint. It's true, their games really DO tell stories!

For the most part, I only buy online so ANA doesn't want my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Montgomery
United States
Otisville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pick up a game when I watch a review or read about the game and think it will be fun for someone in my game group. I like deal shopping at that sometimes earns my purchases.

When I see the Asmodee sticker, I start from an attitude of not wanting to buy it and only do if it really wins me over. I will still buy there upper tier games, but the just okay games are out for me.

I would rather support Renegade Games, Red Raven Games, and others...

Games I have skipped due to ANA pricing that I wanted to buy if someone else made it.

- Histrio
- Captain Sonar
- Conan
- Dream Home
- Legendary Inventors
- Shakespeare Expansion
- Troyes

Histrio and Dream Home are two examples or games that I was fairly hyped about and cooled to not buying due to pricing. I am still shocked at how expensive Histrio was. It looked like a decent 30 dollar game and it was clearanced for more than $40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a specialty/boutique retailer, it doesn't affect us. We specialize in Kickstarter and imported games, so everything we sell is purchased directly from smaller and independent publishers. There may come a day when we grow large enough that we'll start selling standard retail editions of games, but ANA's policy are making it very easy for us to put that day off for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped buying star wars and netrunner lcgs.

I slowed down minis game purchases and never buy them unless I can get them at the old discount or better. It means I've yet to find some stuff. But I find most of it eventually. Ebay seller's prices haven't changed much so their coupons still work well for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toasty man
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for me it has affected me just the way they said they wanted it to i buy less games. as for my belief that its helping the brick and mortar plp i don't think it is it's more likely what i said it was from the begining just a spin to push a larger than normal price hike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I deliberately boycott their games (and expansions for games I own) in hopes that their policy will change. The amount this policy helps FLGSs is doubful, but it *surely* increases profits for Asmodee! Thus, for a while they will be able to absorb decreased sales from OLGSs because they are charging them a lot more per game. They will NOT destroy OLGSs.

I also avoid Mayfair Games unless I can find them for at least 25% off -- meaning used or --shudder-- someone risks the wrath and retribution of the price fixers.

Let the market determine the prices -- and the success or failure of retailers be based upon their service, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Often times I don't even notice who the publisher is.

If it's a game that looks interesting and I price that I think is reasonable, I buy it.

Buying is down for other reasons. But, when I do go buying I've not noticed a jump in Asmodee products. Especially compared the the kickstarer d'jour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bowen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Woo! Gonna get some
badge
44, that's me!
mbmbmbmbmb
mhutton wrote:
CMon makes.better games anyways. Screw ANA, they can go to hell

This.

No, seriously: I don't really buy ANA games anymore (although I loaded up at the FFG Holiday sale). I don't buy Mayfair or CMON games at retail or OLGS either. I dislike price fixing, but that isn't my core issue. CMON games are cheapest on KS, reselling the exclusives to pay for the rest. Mayfair games I buy once in a blue moon, when there is a real sale. I expect the same to hold true with ANA. There are so many awesome games available these days, I see no reason to overpay. So I don't. Plenty of fish in the sea, don'tcha know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
If they continue to release good games, I will continue to buy them. If they don't, I won't. From a hobbyist's perspective, boardgame prices are generally low, period.

I just spent about $100 to get that little club in the Netherlands to send me one of their games (the Great Zimbabwe) - with definitely nowhere near what Asmodee gives me in terms of production values - but I like their games, too, and consider them little tresures. Hell, let's face it, I just sent some guy in Poland $150 for two custom made wooden box inserts... ANA has a long way to go before I start noticing

I grant you that I am very, very lucky to be in this position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamine Allen
United States
Grand Ledge
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No discernible impact. I get most of my x-wing miniatures at the FLGS I play at anyway. For boardgames, if it is interesting enough or I like it enough, I will buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Three factors are really making me buy fewer new games, instead continuing to collect more of what I have:
- High prices from local stores, whether physical or online
- High dollar value
- Asmodee's (no longer new) online price policy

Games are already expensive here in Norway, with base sets starting at $60 for LCGs and such, up to $150 for Mansions of Madness 2e. Even frickin' Talisman was over $80, even for many expansions. LCG core sets went up 25% all at once 3 years ago, and didn't go down when the boxes shrank.

Since I prefer card games and my FLGS can't keep any appreciable stock of card games other than MtG or Pokémon, continuing to buy LCG expansions from abroad is actually my cheapest option.

If I buy two small expansions from the UK or Miniature Market it's about 30% cheaper than here, even after rather pricey shipping, and they've still gone up 50% at worst compared after the new policy.

Importing a core (or even just a larger Legendary expansion) on my own costs way more than locally, so I rarely get around to trying other games anymore. A decent board game with a lot of pieces costs too much from any publisher once it gets here, so it's not just Asmodee.

I'm even paying $20 for Pathfinder ACG add-ons and don't mind, because the local price (theoretically, if they had stock) is closer to $30. Mummy's mask is the only game I've been able to get any discount on ($53 instead of ~$85).

The only local mail-order option with a good selection of games charges more shipping than the priciest UK store ($10.60 vs. $9), and is barely cheaper than the FLGS anyway.

So I haven't stopped buying things, not even from Asmodee, but new games are looking less worth the money all the time.

Weirdly, previous MtG display sets have dropped in price twice in the past quarter to 33% less than they were last summer. It's actually starting to look like a better deal than Asmodee.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's stopped my more impulsive purchases for sure. especially with FFG stuff. I am so glad they lost the Games Workshop licenses b/c I was a huge sucker for those games.

Love Star Wars but, not buying any more SW games unless they are on some sort of super deal.

so really, I thank Asmodee for stopping my impulsive purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since they make the games I like to play, I still continue to feed. I buy anything from:

Eldritch Horror
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition
Elder Sign
Arkham Horror: The Card Game
Star Wars: Imperial Assault

Yeah, all FFG. I think the only non-FFG title I may start grabbing is T.I.M.E Stories. Otherwise my collection is large enough that the rest of my money seems to go to kickstarter projects for the bling and exclusives...so yes, CMON.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Directly it generally hasn't changed anything, I don't specifically avoid or look for their titles.

Indirectly, yes it has. I have finite space and money, and there are tons and tons of good games coming out, so if two games are under equal consideration and quality, I will go for the option that isn't price fixed since it will cost less.

In some cases, it is a little more direct. 7 wonders duel is a great game, but given what's included, the $23 for the expansion just seems like too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
As the title asks...

1. Have you deliberately chosen to buy fewer Asmodee/associated games?
2. Must you buy fewer because of raised prices, and can't afford as many?
3. Do you prefer to buy other companies' games in a form of protest?
4. Do you not care and still continue to feed the obese ANA behemoth as fast as you can shove money into its slavering maw?

1. No
2. No
3. No
4. Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Baptist
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy less games from them, just because I can't justify some of the prices. I definitely take my time buying stuff because I've been buying games for over 15 years and there's a bit of a sticker shock for me seeing the new prices up. Things will adjust over time I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonard Moses II
United States
Hixson
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy less because I play less these days. And I already have plenty.

Istanbul and particularly Above and Below were real stinkers to me though. Seriously? And people like those. I guess I am more specialized than I thought as far as what I enjoy playing.

Above and Below felt like every Kickstarter game I have ever played right down to the art, the price, and the presentation. In a bad way. Like they aren't ever Stefan Feld or really even Knizia at all. Ever. I am starting to completely understand the sharp differences.

American designers games don't feel like European designers games even within the exact same type of game. In a bad way imo. It is like they are copying them but don't really completely know how.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
I buy all my asmodee titles at my local game store now. The pricing hasn't really changed how much I buy at all. The only thing that has changed is I buy less due to lack of new interesting titles under the FFG brand. I think I have bought more non FFG asmodee games though. I am burnt out on star wars and LCGs. I bought between 20 and 30 asmodee titles last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F
United States
Willmar
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:

Personally, I have chosen to buy fewer of their games, and have made it a point to spread my gaming money to companies other than Asmodee as a form of futile protest- but hey, it makes me feel better, and I have discovered how good CMON games really are, as well as Privateer Press and Monolith Games.

I realize ANA will continue their distasteful way of jacking up prices to make more profit, but that doesn't mean I have to willingly play along.

In regards to Monolith, Conan is an awesome game and Mythic Battles: Pantheon is looking amazing too... however, both are affiliated with Asmodee and are part of their selling/pricing restrictions as well. I am disappointed that Monolith and Mythic games sided with Asmodee, but I am sure they make it much easier on a start up company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.