Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see many people have said this game isn't recommended with two. That said, this game started as a web-published entity, and (correct me if I'm wrong) has gone through a few tweaks and rules changes over the years, yeah? If so, I have to wonder if some of those votes were for an older iteration that wasn't as balanced for the count.

Even if that doesn't hold true, can the hurdle be overcome by playing more than one character? Would that be cumbersome? It doesn't seem like there is much to track.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think that the game plays better using at least 3 characters, but...

I play it solo using 4 characters with no problem. The turns are short, the hand for each character is small and easily handled (even by leaving the cards lay face up) and the decisions for each character turn are not confusing because each character is easily distinguished in both appearance and abilities.

Therefore, I suggest that with 2 players, just take 2 characters, each. Since the turns are short, it might be easier to play both of your characters before the other player plays both of theirs, to lessen the chances of getting mixed up about which character's turn it is when your player turn comes around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Ok, I see many people have said this game isn't recommended with two. That said, this game started as a web-published entity, and (correct me if I'm wrong) has gone through a few tweaks and rules changes over the years, yeah? If so, I have to wonder if some of those votes were for an older iteration that wasn't as balanced for the count.

Even if that doesn't hold true, can the hurdle be overcome by playing more than one character? Would that be cumbersome? It doesn't seem like there is much to track.

Thank you!

As the designer I've played it hundreds of times as a 2 player game. I think it works quite well as 2 player. I actually think its a bit too easy as 2 player myself, though everyone not in my own play test group seems to think the opposite.

But yeah, if you don't like it as 2 player you can easily do it with 2 characters per player. I've done it hundreds of times that way as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I've played it four times so far and three of those times were using only two roles - it can be a little tough if there is a lot of overlap with the skill deductions and big holes (like a lack of engineering) but it's certainly playable that way without everyone needing to run multiple characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have only ever played it two-player. My wife and I enjoyed it quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.