1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Poll: How often do you play each game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rod Still
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to see how much people get out of each game purchase. How much do you really play the games you own? I know my answer and my ideal are quite different myself, perhaps it's the same for others?

Poll
How often, excluding outliers, do you play each game you own?
Once
Two to four times
Five to ten times
Ten to twenty times
Twenty to fifty times
Fifty plus times
      230 answers
Poll created by yendorii

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Core games that I'm interested in would get a few hundred plays over a handful of months. Everything else gets one or two plays as a sacrificial victim to the cou0le of games in rapid rotation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Still
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
Core games that I'm interested in would get a few hundred plays over a handful of months. Everything else gets one or two plays as a sacrificial victim to the cou0le of games in rapid rotation.

Where did you ever find someone to play that much with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games get played dozens of times, some are played a few times a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to say, I haven't stopped playing most of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It varies. From 0 to a couple dozen or so. I answered for my average, which is probably 2-4, but that excludes a lot more than just "outliers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
yendorii wrote:
clearclaw wrote:

Where did you ever find someone to play that much with?

A handful of different groups, 3+ game nights each week and a few gamesdays each month.

So take something simple like say Age of Steam. I played Age of Steam a couple times or more a week, every week, for a few years (high point I think was 14 games over a weekend). That's a hundred and umpty plus games a year of just that one title -- do that for a few years and it adds up. Now add in something else before or after or for the other game nights or in other parts of the gamesdays and it is easy enough to rack up a few more hundreds at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games around 10 times, but my favorites get played dozens of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pas L
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Nothing will come of nothing.
badge
Speak again.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games I play 1-2 times, the ones I like and that others also like get played a lot more.

Not sure the poll can really capture anything meaningful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Still
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not exactly aiming for science here, just curious is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alli
United States
Grove City
Ohio
flag msg tools
If I had to list an average, I'd say somewhere around 20-30. Our favorite games see the table at least once a week (usually) until we burn out and switch gears. So I'd say our favorite games could get 30-50 plays per year for a couple of years and then may wane off if newer (better) things come in to fill that genre. I can think of several games we've already played 10+ times in less than a month of this year so far. Games we like less may only see 5 plays a year, which drags down the overall average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Median: 4 plays
Mode: 1 play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I chose the answer of 5-10. Unless the game is really horrible I would play it at least 5 times before I gave up on it and got rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble with getting certain games played is getting those darn other people to agree!

For the games that are favorites/most agreeable for the groups I play with, I would say we get 15-20 plays in a year.

Then there are the games that everyone enjoys but that have restrictions that can't always be met (games that require higher player-counts, games that last several hours, games that are less newbie-friendly, etc.). Those games might get 10 plays a year, just depending on how frequently we can meet the conditions for them.

Then there are those "other" games. You know, usually the ones that one or two players are crazy about but that others aren't interested in. Those games might get played 5 times in a year, if at all.

Keep in mind, my schedule allows for playing board games about once a week but about half those weeks are 2-player only and the other half are with 3-5 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
The trouble with getting certain games played is getting those darn other people to agree!

And choosing to not play any of the myriad other games instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard for me to answer, because my games have a very different amount of plays. Apart from games I've had since my childhood, the vast majority are in the 5-20 range right now, after ~2 years of more 'serious' board gaming (of course this is a pretty wide range).
My most-played game I bought in those two years is Android: Netrunner with 62 plays, and then there are about 20 games I have with 5 or less plays (oh, that's actually a bit worse than I thought, but many of them are very new in my collection).

I'm aiming to play all my games at least 10 times within maybe one or two years after purchase. We'll see how that develops.
Of course if I don't want to play something that often, I should just get rid of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Anderson
United States
Temecula
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm estimating 5-10. If it had been an option, I would have selected not enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
The question is too hard to answer.
I've got plenty of games I hope I'm still playing forty years from now.
Games I don't like I often only play once before throwing them up for trade.

I will say that I hope to play any given "full-size" euro (approximately 2+ hours) at least five times within the span of a couple years or so.
That being said, I've only ever played three games where I got to the point where I didn't want to play it anymore (not counting games I don't like).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play my games a lot, except for the thousand or so outliers.

Pete (chooses his frame of reference)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
I have played the 308 games in my collection an average of 37.8 times and a median of 17 times, with a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 2128.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Scott
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a pretty wide variable of plays. But I'd say averaging on the collection currently is about 15+ but I guess the average continues to rise. I also don't have more than 80ish games, so it's easy to get replay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection goes through the entire range, from once to 50+ (even 100+), but I think most games, excluding the ones that don't stay very long, eventually get to 10 to 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't voted as none of the options fit.

If I think of the games I liked playing but would be happy not playing again, then it's probably between 10 and 20 times.

If I think of the games I'd still be happy playing and don't see myself not wanting to anytime soon, then it could go higher than that.

It all comes down to how long I still like the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
You ask how often, but then list the number of plays without specifying the time period, so I'm not quite certain how to answer that.

In a year? During the game's lifetime?

If the latter, a lot of the games I own are at 25+ plays already, and most will end up with 100+ plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too early for me to say, I've only just rounded out my collection and I hope to still be playing these games in 20 years' time. I hope for 500+ total plays a year. So let's say 10000/200 = 50 plays on average with luck. I don't intend to buy any more games or dump any, we'll see how that goes! My wife will still buy a few a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.