3 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Why are item chests global and not party-specific? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
As far as I understand, there are basically 2 types of chest rewards. Some give global rewards, like item blueprints or side scenarios, which make sense to be tracked globally. But others contain items that are given to a specific character and have no global impact, which make sense to be limited to one per party to prevent them from being looted multiple times to give out to every character (and to add a bit of competition for who gets to loot the chest), but not necessarily to be global. Is there a specific reason for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd T
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
As far as I understand, there are basically 2 types of chest rewards. Some give global rewards, like item blueprints or side scenarios, which make sense to be tracked globally. But others contain items that are given to a specific character and have no global impact, which make sense to be limited to one per party to prevent them from being looted multiple times to give out to every character (and to add a bit of competition for who gets to loot the chest), but not necessarily to be global. Is there a specific reason for this?

One explanation may be that many items are unique, therefore there wouldn't be enough cards in the item deck to accommodate having the item exist in two different parties. Now, you could share that item between the two parties, but that sounds like not much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thematically it makes sense for all chests to be "global" -- I mean just because there are multiple parties of mercenaries romping around, chests in dungeons don't magically refill themselves!

(I'm thinking, next to the practical concerns, that's the justification.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.