United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
So if our next game goes how I expect it to, one of my opponents is going to build the +1 Explore Colony in just about the perfect spot for it, in range of all of our as-yet undiscovered islands and in range of most of the unexplored sites on the existing islands. It's going to be great for him. (*shakes fist internally*)

Anyway, I'm expecting I'll want to spend Reputation at some point to use the ability. My question is when you can decide to do that. Do I have to pay to use it before an Explore endeavor roll, or can I roll and then decide I need it after I see the results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That would definitely have to be during the "build dice pool" step of the endeavor. No way can you add it on after tou see the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacPherson
msg tools
mbmbmb
just be aware that the rules say that "The receiving player
must accept or refuse, and no other tokens, goods, currency, or cards
may be exchanged."

This means he can decline the offer.

Also, if it hasn't happened yet you can still stop it. Beat him to it or stop him being able to gather the goods he needs either by beating him to them or sinking a ship
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fishhead1982 wrote:
Also, if it hasn't happened yet you can still stop it. Beat him to it or stop him being able to gather the goods he needs either by beating him to them or sinking a ship

I realize it's possible, but he's going to have a headstart on me. We're both sitting at two Colonies, but he has the Smuggler while I won the last game and wasn't able to keep any Advisor. (Neither of us has a natural hold of 6+.) So I'll need to either raid his Smuggler before he can use it, raid his ships carrying the goods, or raid one of his Colonies. There's little chance I'll be able to beat him in a straight race.

My problem is I haven't built up any addition Raid on my ships (so I've just got the 3 my big ship started with) and I don't have an Advisor to start off with so I can't necessarily count on a good Raid Advisor showing up early enough. It's not an impossible situation, but he's in the better spot and I'm being realistic about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules state that you can pay reputation to gain someone's powers "during your turn" without specifying limits, I'd tend to take that at face value until told otherwise. Specifically, I'd say that you could do this at any time up to the point successes are resolved (basically, you could do so at latest when you spend fortune to modify your dice).

That said, it would take a *very* generous opponent to agree to the trade, knowing that that single reputation meant the difference between success and failure (or even your ship sinking!) Now if it was just a matter of wanting to spend a reputation instead of a fortune, that might be a different story...

Note that the benefit lasts "until the end of your turn", so the *best* time to make this trade is usually going to be at the very beginning of your turn, before you commit to your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.