Subject: Game Dedication rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I like the Axis & Allies games so much that I get custom boards. The last time I did this I had the game boards photocopied to paper thinness. Then I had the map blown up and laminated to about 1 1/2 the regular size. (I have a huge gaming table). The price to have it customized was reasonable. The more space on the board meant it was easier to spot different things. How dedicated is everyone else with some of your games that you go the extra mile (proverbially)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! There are many games that I really enjoy - but I honestly have never had it cross my mind to blow-up a board - probably because I don't see it enhancing my enjoyment of the game and even hurting since the board will be over-sized for the pieces, will take up more table space which could be awkward/difficult, not to mention storage etc.

On the other hand, Axis & Allies is an excellent choice for a game that could definitely use a bigger board - some of the key territories that get loaded with units are just too tiny. Sure, you can use the blow-up boxes or cards, but that's not as fun and it's easy to lose track of them too - far better to have everything on the same board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I made my own copy of Neue Heimat, which is by far the most time/effort/money I've spent customizing any of my games.

Other than that, the most money I've spent is buying cubes to replace the scoring chits in my FFG edition of Tigris & Euphrates. Chits don't cut it, you need CUBES for the authentic T&E experience! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Palencar
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
I really love going the extra mile for my games.

I've made a 3D board with removable provinces for Blood Rage.

I've made 3d pirate ships for Rum & Bones

Gathered and painted Warhammer miniatures and am creating a large (3'x5') map of Westeros for the Game of Thrones board game.

Basically, going the extra mile for games brings about as much enjoyment as playing them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the idea of going all in, but I guess I'm sort of a cheapskate. I have made some foam core inserts which, despite not looking the prettiest, I love. They make set up time so much faster. I did buy buttons/spools/thimbles to make Patchwork a little nicer. I love the idea of blowing up a board though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody Klein
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to deluxe-ify For the Crown (Second edition), whether it'd be a custom storage solution for it and all its expansions, or custom minis to replace all the chits (and an insane storage solution for those), but the latter idea is beyond the realm of affordability, and as to the former? I still rather get new games for the money it'd cost, instead.

I also want a storage solution for my Dominion collection, but that's an even lower priority.

No thoughts about deluxe-ifying any other game here, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:

I also want a storage solution for my Dominion collection, but that's an even lower priority.

Yeah, that's the main game I've gone the extra mile on. Hobby Lobby storage case with custom laser engraved lid and Broken Token insert, sleeved cards, custom-ordered plastic dividers with printed labels, creating and publishing my own labels for the newest expansions because the original creator announced she was done maintaining them, and dice pouches for all the tokens. Now it's gotten so heavy that literally just today I was looking into replacement handle and latch hardware. I may have a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Massey
Wales
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Melody303 wrote:

My Dominion storage solution:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Melody303 wrote:

Yeah, that's the main game I've gone the extra mile on. Hobby Lobby storage case with custom laser engraved lid and Broken Token insert, sleeved cards, custom-ordered plastic dividers with printed labels, creating and publishing my own labels for the newest expansions because the original creator announced she was done maintaining them, and dice pouches for all the tokens. Now it's gotten so heavy that literally just today I was looking into replacement handle and latch hardware. I may have a problem.

I purchased the hobby lobby case and now I'm faced with my lack of technical know-how. Someday I'll get to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielRobison wrote:
Someday I'll get to it.

Famous last words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielRobison wrote:
I purchased the hobby lobby case and now I'm faced with my lack of technical know-how. Someday I'll get to it.

Mostly it's just trying to wade through the massive amounts of different options and variations until you find one you're happy with. Feel free to PM me... I'm happy to send you a link to a post with a lot more details of what I did, or to directly answer questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my Dominion storage case:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Robison
United States
Lynden
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
Here's my Dominion storage case:

That looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielRobison wrote:
That looks great!

Thanks! I'm really happy with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paradox Games
msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Car wars: I love taking already-established cars, recoloring them, and making sheets of counters which I mount and cut out. Also, I like making my own turning keys, AADA reference cards for their cards for new people I bring to the game, card-stock track sections, a custom track, etc. It the kind of game that if you really get into, you can get just as wrapped up in designing as you can in playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nat tact
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat for Dominion but I prefer using a set of three smaller boxes so they fit my shelf better and one player can get A-F cards while another player gets whatever to z cards. Just easier to set up and store for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rey Punz
msg tools
Does this contain all the expansions including Empires?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guynexdoor wrote:
Does this contain all the expansions including Empires?

If you're asking about mine, that's all except Alchemy, including Empires. Click on the photo with the drawstring bags for more info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
For "Axis & Allies" on its ALONE, then you should seek out the XENO assortment, as there is much more to this with inclusion for theirs. Their "World at War"-series provided plenty concepts you may not have been aware about. I've gotten their 'Enlarged Maps' of the "World War" sort, oh, and they have smaller 'Campaigns' as well. These, and quite a few more began making MINIS that have been around since the 1980s & 1990s. There's even Table Tactics-pieces from whose selections of POST-WW2/Modern parts can become used further. Now, along with the ONLY OF THEIR KIND ones I've made, then, it is SUREALLY the following "altruthism"

sauron
whistle ~"there can only "B" the one lone GROGnads!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.