Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In this "What Would YOU Do" scenario the outlook is bleak (potentially).

You are tasked with getting rid of every single game in your collection EXCEPT for games that all center around one conflict.

The complication...that conflict cannot be World War I or World War II.

What conflict would you choose and what game that's left in your collection would be your "desert island" game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to be either the American Civil War or the Seven Years' War.

ACW I'd get to play The Civil War, Great Campaigns of the American Civil War, Great Battles of the American Civil War, and also get to some Mark Herman CDG action with For the People.

With the 7YW, I'd get Clash of Monarchs, Wilderness War, Mohawk, and a good portion of Battles from the Age of Reason (BAR).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy Peasy for me right now. I seem to be on a Vietnam kick so out the door with everything else! In the last month or so, the following have made it to the table: Khe Sanh '68, Silver Bayonet: The First Team in Vietnam, 1965 (25th Anniversary Edition), Binh Dinh '69, and In Country: Vietnam 1965-75.

As for the desert island game.... I know I should say Vietnam 1965-1975 but I am currently infatuated with In Country: Vietnam 1965-75 so I am going to go with the latter. Either way, both simulate a 10 year war in weekly turns so I may not get in too many reps, desert island or no.

In Country is the one in the lower right..... VG's Vietnam at the top.

Messy, messy war....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Crikey. I broke out in a cold sweat just contemplating the horror of such a scenario.

I whittled it down to 2 wars: ACW and the Peloponnesian War. Of the 2, I think I'd save the PW games because of a lifelong interest in the whole Sparta and Athens thing. The problem is, this would only leave me with a handful of games -- probably could count them on one hand. Of those, Mark Herman's The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC by VG would be the one I'd stuff in my beach bag and take to the deserted island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
In this "What Would YOU Do" scenario the outlook is bleak (potentially).

You are tasked with getting rid of every single game in your collection EXCEPT for games that all center around one conflict.

What conflict would you choose and what game that's left in your collection would be your "desert island" game?

Your rules would make it necessary to get rid of every game I have which I am not presently planning to sell. I have been offloading my collection (at one time, more than 500) for a couple of years now, and
I am nearing the end. I will then have only WWII games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd choose the conflict with my wife.

Pete (can't really back that up but thought it was funny to say)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I'd choose the conflict with my wife.

Pete (can't really back that up but thought it was funny to say)

I just appreciate that, without me specifying in the topic, your wife would be the one making the request...

Let's dig into that... how did it make you feel in this hypothetical scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have to keep Napoleon's Triumph, ergo I'm hanging onto my Napoleonic collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Oh gawd. I guess Nappy, just because there's more there that
I'm interested in than any other single conflict.

Certainly more than I'd want from WWI/II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools

Would be Vietnam for me.

Vietnam 1965-1975 would be the desert island, would finally have time to play the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rosecrans man
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three periods that I just couldn't part with:

1) ACW
2) World War II PTO - Naval, air and the island fighting, especially the beach landings.
3) Tactical 18th century - I just couldn't part with my BAR games, either the 7YW or AmRev games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Put me down for Vietnam, also. As luck would have it, my KS copy of '65 came in the mail today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ouch.

Probably would have to be Napoleon, for NT, BaM, Age of Napoleon, and TNW.

Just edging out the Civil War with For the People and A House Divided, and Battle Cry.

Just edging out the Punic Wars, so I can count Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage, Hands in the Sea, and The Republic of Rome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola S
Italy
Roma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy answer for me:

WWIII or 'Cold War turning Hot'.

It turns out I would actually keep a good chunk of my collection and probably not have enough time to play them all (32 games and counting including the likes of the Fleet Series, The Next War, NATO: The Next War in Europe, Air & Armor, Third World War Series, etc.).
The only bit that does not fit the scenario is the fact that I would need an opponent on the desert island to play most of them with me.

A second choice would be Vietnam and here I would fare better as I have quite a few titles that play solo (First Team: Vietnam, Downtown: Air War Over Hanoi, 1965-1972, A Week In Hell: The Battle of Hue, Vietnam Solitaire Special Edition, Fire in the Lake), including a 'cheater' like Fields of Fire (it will secretly let me play Korea and WWII as well!).

A distant third would be the Gulf Wars (First and Second, aka Iraqi Freedom). Actually it would finally give me the chance to sit down, learn and play one of my 'highest mountain' games I have: Phase Line Smash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:

Over my dead body...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Witmer
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Well, my first pick would be World War I, but if that isn't allowed...

The General War from the Starfleet Universe. Federation & Empire can keep me occupied for the rest of my life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I dabble in Napoleonic but the core of my interest in wargaming is WWII. If faced with the task presented I'd probably just quit wargaming and stick to chess ... oh ... and maybe Space Empires 4x or some such SF game if I'm allowed a fictional conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Witmer wrote:
Well, my first pick would be World War I, but if that isn't allowed...

The General War from the Starfleet Universe. Federation & Empire can keep me occupied for the rest of my life.

That is my pick too. That leaves me with Star Fleet Battles (starship tactical), Federation & Empire (space economic/strategic), and Star Fleet Marines (ground tactical), as well as the RPG stuff, and a couple of card games.

But I would never give up WWI and WWII, too many good games in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

Yah, well. let's just say I don't agree with the premise of this exercise, so I am pulling a Kobayashi Maru and rewriting the question like so:

Quote:
You are tasked with only buying games from World War I or World War II. What is your next acquisition?

Since GMT is kind enough to start shipping Fields of Despair: France 1914-1918 this week, I think that'll be next on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I'd end up with Yahtzee.

WW2 is #1 in my book and just getting into WW1. Nothing else historically has grabbed me too much.

I'd guess I'd keep whatever I have in the ACW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Age of Reason"

My main game would be Maria.

But I would sneak Rommel in the Desert and Napoleon's Triumph onto the desert island as well.

EDIT: and Up Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:

My single conflict would be Pulp, using Pulp Alley, and I'd take a lot of miniatures and models and terrain with me. I would certainly miss my few cardboard games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore McBride-Schmars
United States
Momence
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would have to be something that has linear tactics.
Probably ACW or Napoleonics.
Actually Napoleonics would win, due to the variety of miniatures I'd be painting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Cold War gone hot and the Napoleonic Wars. For the desert island, I'll cheat and use a series, either The Third World War series or the Next War: Korea series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.