Hide
3 Posts

Panzer Grenadier: Eastern Front» Forums » General

Subject: CRT linear Interpolation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ron Wilson
msg tools
If you ever have gotten frustrated in that you only could muster 21 factors on the direct Fire table and were one short of 22 here is a simple solution. I have started using liner interpolation. To do that subtract the two factors that are just above or below on the CRT the actual total.

So say one has 13 factors for direct fire. The next lowest printed value on the Direct Fire CRT is 11. The next higher is 16. The difference is 16 - 11 = 5.

So the I roll a 5 sided dice. If I roll a 5 I count that as 0. regardless I add that die roll to the combat value and use that (rounded down). So if I rolled a 4 on my 5 sided die and added that to my 13 combat factor that would give me a 17 that in turn rounds down to a 16. But if I only rolled a 2 that would just get me 15 that rounds down to an 11.

It is that simple. I bought my die here

https://www.gmdice.com/

But if you say need a 12 sided die and only have a 13 you can treat 12 as 0 and 13 as reroll and that too can serve as a 12 sided die. Also, if your die start with 0 and not 1 then the highest number does not have to be treated as 0 (e.g. my 10 sided die start at 0 and not at 1).

Also, I don't treat this in regard to the +3 -2 limit for direct fire, though one could. This works for direct fire, bombardment , and assault. I have 2 sided, 3 sided all the way up to 15 sided die (though no 14 sided for I don't need that for any of these 3 tables).

One more tip. Better buy all the die you want in one order in that the shipping is a fixed rate and you have to pay that again if you order any more die. So now even added 1 more factor buys me a better shot at rolling a die roll that causes me to jump up to the next column.

and of course when you combat factor equals that which is permitted one need not roll for interpolation.

One more thing, this does tend to make the game slightly more lethal in that one now gets on the average better shots. But one only gets that by pouring on more factors so it does not seem to unduly affect game play but makes it a bit less gamey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They had an article in The General a long time ago that used basically this idea to pick between two Odd Columns on the CRT.

In general I like the idea that added factors should count (IIFT versus IFT in ASL parlance). I have not used the extra die roll plan to see how it works in practice though.

I didn't like the V3 Assault table that used just a single d6 for resolution so I reworked the table to use 3d6 and doubled the available columns for exactly this kind of increased granularity that you are talking about. (V4 kind of obsoleted my chart.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to slow the game down!

I have been looking at the charts and thinking about the lost factor issue.

I don't like the idea of costing more time to decide if I am up the column or not. This then begs for IIFT-like tables that obviate the need for extra calculations and extra rolls.

I may try creating a new version of the Direct Fire / Bombardment / Assault fire tables with an extra column between the existing columns.

The key to my old Assault table which would be carried forward to these is: If you start of "Old" column then you shift to the next "Old" column. If you start "New" then you shift to "New".

For example on Direct Fire:

New columns added: 3, 6, 9, 14, etc.

If we start on Old Column 16 then we move up to 22, 30 or down to 7, 4.
If we start on New Column 9 then we move up to 14 or down to 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.