Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Moore
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are going through our second play of the first scenario, and I had a question about stacking the skill buffs that come with each asset. I found
this question asked and answered on this forum, but I'm still confused. I see those little icons in the corner and I don't understand how they're utilized.

If you look at the Research Librarian it has an agility icon, but nowhere on the card does it specify when it's used. Would I use the RL to modify my agility during a skill check, and exhaust it?

A card like Hyperawareness makes more sense to me, in that the card has both INT and AGL buffs if I choose to use them.

This is one of the more difficult games we've played before, and I've never felt so dumb while playing a game! What am I not understanding here? I appreciate all your help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello there!

You might want to take some time looking at the card breakdown graphics in the Rules Reference (RR), pp 30-31. You'll see what all the different graphic design spaces of the investigator cards mean.

For instance, the Agility icon on Research Librarian is on the upper left side of the card. Those icons are only used when you're committing the card as a one-time boost from your hand. They are meaningless when in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Perryman
msg tools
I think you may have missed the rules for committing cards to skill tests. Check out p. 8 in the Learn to Play booklet under Modifying Skill Value for Skill Tests. The basic idea is that those icons at the upper left of the card are only used when committing a card to a skill test. To do this you must play the card from your hand (it cannot already be in play) during a skill test. In this instance you do not pay the card's resource cost, you just add the number of icons relevant to the skill test to your skill value. The rest of the text on the card is ignored unless it is a skill card (which can only be played during tests) and the card is discarded after the test. For example, if I have to make an agility test to evade a monster and I have the research librarian in my hand, I can choose to commit him to get +1 agility for this test. He is discarded after the test. Other investigators at your location may also commit 1 card to your test (you can commit as many as you want to your own tests unless a card says otherwise).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Moore
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification. I was just checking the forums on my phone before going to sleep and rolled back out of bed to double check! What was confusing to me in the instructions on page 8 was that it said 'eligible cards' and I thought it meant that I could only use the skill cards for skill checks. This makes better sense now.

So all this being said, if I need to meet a STR skill of 5 and I only have 3, but I have a card in hand with +1, and my partner also has a card in hand with +1, we could potentially then put my STR up to 5, am I understanding this now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Your question seems to imply that you're seeing what result you need in order to succeed then modifying it afterwards (you need a 5, so you add +2's worth of modifiers to your 3). This isn't correct.

You'll commit modifiers to your base value first (a gamble essentially, with you playing the odds of what nasty token you're likely to draw). Once you've committed cards and arrived at a number (so, base combat 3, then 2 skill icons committed to give you a final value of 5), you then draw your chaos token. That determines the final value that you compare against the difficulty of the check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Moore
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's what I meant, and then hope for a 0 or Elder Sign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hopkins
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
imdblm wrote:
Yeah that's what I meant, and then hope for a 0 or Elder Sign!

That's quite a gamble, but that's the size of it!

The dedicated Skill cards usually supply 2 icons of one skill type to use during a skill test of that type. They often have a bonus for a successful test too; Fearless heals a horror, for instance, or Manual Dexterity lets you draw a card. These cards can only really be used during a skill test.

What can sometimes be confusing is that other cards have these icons as well! These icons are only counted if you commit them to a skill test; you don't get them if the card is in play in front of you, and you don't gain any benefits for other text the card says. It basically gives you another use for cards you don't otherwise need!

You probably have this, but let's do an example if anyone else reading this is confused:

Another Investigator at your location is taking an Intellect test, but wants some help to pass it; their Intellect is 3 and the difficulty is 4. They commit a Perception from their hand; this adds 2 to their skill.

You decide to commit a card too. You played a copy of Dr Milan Christopher a few turns ago, but you have another copy in your hand. You probably won't need this as you can only have 1 in play, and it's a crucial test, so you decide to commit it from your hand as well. This gives another plus 1 to the skill for the icon; it doesn't give another plus 1 for the text on his card!

The total skill they have is 3 + 2 + 1 = 6, vs the difficulty of 4. They draw a chaos token and get a -2. A pass! As the test is successful, they trigger the 'if successful' part on Perception and draw a card. Then both Perception and Milan, the cards committed, go into your respective discard piles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Moore
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone, thank you for helping me clarify this! I'm sad to admit that this game has baffled me so much, but I'm glad to finally be figuring it out. Have a good one, all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.