Andris Borbíró
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all!

I know all the very important reasons to buy more core set, but I am really against it - not even for financial reasons in the first place, but for ideological. Let's not discuss this again.

BUT I was told (by the game) that if I am only interested in the story - and while it's not the only thing that matters for me (the story element is not even that strong, after all), it is the most enjoyable part for me -, I should choose the 'Easy' skill level.

And we lost badly (very first mission, last act... you know what I mean). And I can take a beating, but I would hate if I learned that without more core boxes, even Easy level scenarios get impossible (in the future...). If not, cool - we'll get better!

So my question is: is there anybody who plays with only one core box (and two people!), and finds even the Easy level very hard?

Thank you for any answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are playing the Core game with just one box.
We have no interest in building decks and are using the suggested decks.
We got through the first scenario OK. Roland is a bit traumatised but Wendy is fine. It was a close call though.
The second scenario is destroying us! In hindsight, if we were to start the 2nd scenario again, we'd play it slightly differently I think.
It's a tough game, no doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In brief: Yes, my girlfriend and I play with a single core (and now Dunwich).

We play standard difficulty.

We have yet to play the third scenario, but have included the first POD scenario (so we've played three -- 3.5, as I tried the third, but got murdered pretty fast).

We've leaned on resigning a lot, truth be told, but things should ease up as more cards get released.

I won't be purchasing a second core. The game is fun, albeit difficult.. and we enjoy difficulty.

*edit: We've stuck to our first investigators -- I'm running Skids and Jen is running Agnes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd scenario is tough even with 2 core sets - depends a bit on how you do in scenario 2 and the strategy you're adopting.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Are you trying to disrupt the ritual, or take down the boss? Or just sacrifice your 'ally' Depending which route you are going depends on how you approach scenario #3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Fromhell
msg tools
I have a single core set and have played my team of Skids and Agnes through the 3 scenarios in the core set with both Carnevale of Horrors and Curse of the Rougarou as side-stories. After that they continued onto the Dunwich scenarios.

So its possible.

Both these characters now have 3 mental trauma, which is not good. On the more positive side, Skids have 3 extra really good cards, and two basic weaknesses, the same situation as Agnes.

I have also played Roland as a solo investigator through the same scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hell ORC
France
Marseille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play solo with only one core. At first it is very hard. But it is one of those game in which the more you play the better you play. Also, it is very luck-of-the-draw dependant (not a bad thing at all in my book, since it adds LOTS of replayability) so some times you might find a scenario nigh impossible, some other time you will cut through it like a real hero.

Also, you'd better try all the different investigators in the core box, you might be surprised by some of them. I, for one, have been pleasantly surprised by Agnes Baker.

My personal experience is that even if this game is tough, you can surely "make it" with one core box. I did (and I'm no genius)

I loved the "single core box experience" ..failed scenarios and succesful ones... and even if I understand that other people needed to add another box to fit their taste, that is absolutely not necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PAC PAC
France
flag msg tools
I played all 3 scenariso of the base set with only 1 base set.
I run throught 5-6 times with 1 - 2 player.

It's hard but it's like other "arkham" game.

I won't buy a second set because there is no need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Kovacs
msg tools
"The day we stop exploring is the day we commit ourselves to live in a stagnant world, devoid of curiosity, empty of dreams." - Neil deGrasse Tyson
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through the whole campaign with pretty much the best ending (got all six cultists too) with only one core set, on medium difficulty with Roland and Wendy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Boon
Netherlands
Berkel en Rodenrijs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played through coreset twohanded solo; first with Roland & Agnes. Fully completed. Now halfway with Skids & Daisy. The latter duo seems harder. I play on easy...

And not to bring up A discussion, but my second coreset will arrive today. I bought it to have several ready to play investigators for different scenarios: I want to bring Roland & Agnes to Curse of the Rougarou, while also being able to have investigators from Dunwich play their campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ramiz wrote:
So my question is: is there anybody who plays with only one core box (and two people!), and finds even the Easy level very hard?

Just to pile on, single core, played through all scenarios multiple times and both POD packs. Always 2 investigators on Standard difficulty. And I have about a 50% win/loss ratio including 2 'perfect' scores on midnight masks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Fun fact: You can still get your butt kicked with two cores
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing with only the core box is very hard, so far I have not managed to do play through the first campaign without some sacrifices whistle

Main problem was always the deck with relevant cards not showing up. Having a second core box and being able to include two of the "important" cards, will go a long way towards making it easier to play, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
ramiz wrote:

Just to pile on, single core, played through all scenarios multiple times and both POD packs. Always 2 investigators on Standard difficulty. And I have about a 50% win/loss ratio including 2 'perfect' scores on midnight masks.

My experience is the same except my win/loss record is much worse. Played multiple times and really enjoyed it.

And I'm waiting for my second core. Deckbuilding is important to me and it won't happen soon enough for me without the second core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a hard game. Even with two cores it's hard. Two cores will effectively shrink your deck by allowing you to double up on you favorite cards. That will make your deck more consistent and customizable. That said it still is a hard game even with two cores.

Though when I say it's hard it is kind of very hard to really lose a scenario straight out (except the third scenario since it's a real challenge depending on how you approach it). You can get a less favorable resolution, but this game is really more of a which way book rather than a hard win or lose game. You maybe get kind of a downer ending, but then you can try and play again and see how it shakes out next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes, I too have played through the whole campaign with only 1 core box. It is winnable, but it can be hard. I recommend Roland/Wendy as your 2 player team (the introduction suggests this too), they seem to be the strongest pair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Scothern
United Kingdom
Glasgow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played the entire campaign 13 times with one core box (2 investigators). First 10 times on Standard, then dialled back to Easy (after getting crushed in S3 over and over again).

1st Scenario
Had trouble the first time so resigned with the Ghoul Priest alive, now pretty much wipe the floor with it every time.

2nd Scenario
On Standard, tend to get 2 to 4 cultists. On Easy, tend to get 3 to 5. Never managed all of them

3rd Scenario
Never had a combat win. Sacrificed Lita once. Prevented the ritual once (on Easy). Usually just get hammered.

Just started playing Dunwich!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrice lalet
France
Carcassonne
Aude
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excuse me if my question is very ridiculous but i would like to know: When i have to draw a token for any skill test, do you think may be (3 possibility of a "joker" second draw) make the game ridiculous cheated ? In the book where you are a hero, after read them 3 times and fail, i was using this kind of house rule to make them less frustrating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Feldman
United States
California
flag msg tools
My friend and I played through the core campaign on normal with 1x core and got our butts kicked. We played again after buying the dunwich expansion and making new decks. We still played on normal difficulty and we did very well. So, no, I don't think it's too hard with one core set. I do think that playing a second time is the biggest difference. A few extra cards to change things up does help though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.