Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
30 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

A Feast for Odin» Forums » News

Subject: So, apparently, these can be got. Somehow. And I think most of us will want them... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I, for one, want this. Badly. I just have not got the faintest how we can get our hands on these...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the new organizer available from Meeple Realty.

http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p88/Odin%27s_Banquet_Hall_...™%29.html

cinnamonclovegingernutmegpepper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This. Is. Amazing. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Spillman
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the discs in the first picture? My Z-Mn copy didn't come with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting how the organizer illustrates separation of cards. That's not how I'd do it*, but it looks like you can space out the separators however you want.

If it can fit Fantasy Flight sleeved cards, I'm definitely considering it.

Also, with the all-but-formal-announcement of an expansion, I'm always hesitant to buy such a nice insert for a base game.

* I wouldn't bother splitting the weapons up by type; it's easy enough to scour through a mixed pile to get the starting weapons.
I also would just separate the occupations out by "A-starting", "A-non-starting", "B+C-starting", "B+C-non-starting" at most. Is there any reason to ever separate decks B and C?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
therasim wrote:
What are the discs in the first picture? My Z-Mn copy didn't come with those.

Those are the "-3 for a failed feast" tokens, called "Thing Tokens" in the book. The reverse-side have grouping for someone hogging a certain component.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Spillman
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, gotcha. I don't think I ever looked at the back of the tokens, so I didn't recognize them from that side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fair
United States
Damascus
MD
flag msg tools
designer
Or maybe PowerGrid?
badge
Yeah, that's me. Handsome devil, I know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
I, for one, want this. Badly. I just have not got the faintest how we can get our hands on these...

It is a little... cutesy... for my taste. I would prefer straight storage boxes to the axes and the longship, but right now, it's also the only available wood insert I am aware of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xhawk wrote:
Its the new organizer available from Meeple Realty.

http://www.meeplerealty.com/store/p88/Odin%27s_Banquet_Hall_...™%29.html

cinnamonclovegingernutmegpepper

Shipping for Europe will double the price. Ouch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondMonopoly wrote:
It is a little... cutesy... for my taste. I would prefer straight storage boxes to the axes and the longship, but right now, it's also the only available wood insert I am aware of.

No offense to cervinophiles everywhere, but I think the longship looks like a much better and more-thematic first player token...
But yes I can see how the axes might be more unwieldy than rectangle boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw these pictures hit my subscription feed this morning as well. Clicked on the user that uploaded them and noticed they are the meeple realty that has been linked here.

I agree I want one and probably will get it. I also agree it's a bit worrisome that we have a basically announced expansion that probably won't fit inside this box....but ah well. I play enough solo games and just saving on the set up and tear down time will be big gains for me that I think it may be worth it.

Not to mention I have a few other games that could use some inserts. (Eyeing up you Terra Mystica and Star Wars Rebellion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cj W
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
therasim wrote:
Ah, gotcha. I don't think I ever looked at the back of the tokens, so I didn't recognize them from that side.

Haha I didn't know what they were either. We put those tokens in a separate bag and it never leaves the box because we avoid the "not feeding" part of the feast just like we avoided the Begging Cards in Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvo Fillekers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is supurb. But because i live in the netherlands it is too expensive with the shipping cost. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Meeple Realty's insert for Terraforming Mars was superb, I look forward to checking out this new one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dobby
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks pretty sweet! But if there is an expansion coming, I think I'll keep my foam core insert for now since I ended up with a bunch of "wasted" space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Cracker
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
What a cool guy!
badge
Never rub another man's rhubarb.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered this, thanks for the heads up post!

Meeple Realty has really impressed me so far. I've got their Lords of Waterdeep and Trickerion inserts and they are super nice. Especially the Trickerion one, it has a lot of really neat features (moving parts!) and thoughtful/thematic touches.

I'll admit the axe shaped parts are a little goofy, but it's not that big of a deal. If it makes the considerable setup/teardown quicker, I'm all in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered mine yesterday. Did some research on Meeple Realty and they seem to generally get great reviews. Glad to hear you're had good experiences with them in the past.

I look forward to having it. I feel like my solo games take like 45-60 minutes and the set up and tear down is almost 20-30 with all the little baggies and pieces everywhere.

I'm hoping this will shave that down more to 10. (I think tear down will still be a bit annoying given all the pieces that have to go back where they belong) Still I just love having nice inserts for my favorite games. Now here's hoping the Terra Mystica and Star Wars Rebellion ones are also good as I have all three on the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denman Scofield
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bummer is... It looks like you can't store them vertical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On their product page it claims you can store them vertically. So you should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Lassberg
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, so mine arrived on Friday and was assembled this weekend. A few musings:

1. I really dig it, it holds everything nicely. It has multiple trays for resources and coins so you can have one set on each side of the table.
2. It stores vertically perfectly fine, no issues here.
3. It does a GREAT job of shortening setup time, couldn't be more happy with that.
4. Some of the parts could use with a bit of sanding, specifically the parts that hold the player pieces. The lids on those boxes are very tight, to be point of being difficult. A light sanding and/or a touch of furniture polish should take care of that.
5. Be mindful when assembling. Because I am very, very stupid I assembled the 2nd coin holding axe backwards so I now have to store it upside down and with the nice etching on the inside in order for it to fit in the box right. This is my own fault, no blame on Meeple Realty at all. I'm going to reach out to them about maybe ordering (at my own expense obviously since I cannot be trusted to follow instructions) a replacement for that piece specifically.
6. It didn't take that long to assemble... maybe an hour tops.

Long story short, I'm very happy with the product and recommend it. Just be less stupid than I am about assembly and you're fine!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assembled mine last weekend. After punching a number of the laser cut pieces by hand, I started "scoring" the outline of the pieces with a hobby knife. This made the punches much cleaner. I also constructed the second axe backwards but was able to disassemble it and reassemble it before the glue dried. And speaking of glue, I used Elmers Glue All and highly recommend gluing all pieces.

Great product though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I get a crappy one, am I just bad at this, or are all wood inserts this difficult to punch out? 30 minutes in (I think) and I have less than half the pieces punched out.... scoring each corner and edge with a knife and cautiously wiggling each piece out I have a panicky moment with each piece waiting to see if I only chip off a corner, a visible piece, or bust off a tab entirely. ( Thankfully, I haven't done the last yet, but I have a few of both the others)

I test fitted a few pieces and everything is so tight that I can barely fit pieces together... I am worried about snapping pieces in half. Not looking forward to sanding each each individual tab.

:(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stanoch
United States
Bradenton
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laura, I found that you have to strongly tap the pieces in place. In fact, after the first few dry fitted assemblies were nearly impossible to separate, I simply applied glue to the joint and carefully tapped ...or pounded...the pieces into place without prior fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I (mostly) finished putting it together last night. My full assembly time was closer to 2 to 2.5 hours, i would say. Most of that was trying to punch the pieces out without chipping the wood. My pieces were tight enough that except for a couple jointes i didnt bother with glue.

I havent played yet using the organizer for setup, but my initial impressions are this:

1) i see why folks were putting the axes together wrong. One of my two axes has the coin symbols etched on the back, not the inside. This could have been fixed by flipping the one of the axe cutouts on the layout.

1.5) the flex pieces that go along the edge of the axe head are not symmetrical. I started to place them and noticed i was pulling them a little to line up the tabs. I flipped the piece around and it went right in.

2) the lids to my viking players are all loose. Perhaps because my boxes are more loosely put together than they could be? I would have preferred channels etched into the sides for the lid.

3) i set everything in place and noticed that before i put the manuals, etc. on top i could see a fair amount of the tray holding the wood tokens. Concerned, i stacked everything in, shook the box, flipped it upright and all over. When i opened it i noticed a couple wood tokens had migrated to the stone tray. Since i store my game box flat and dont plan on traveling with it ever, it should not affect mee, but i was still a little disappointed. I also dont know whether this migration happened from just turning it uprights or some of the more vigorous shaking.

4) i would have preferred a single larger wood,stone,ore tray to two small ones. I imagine this was done so that in a multiplayer game there is a tray at either end of the table. However, i only play solo, so one would have worked just fine and the trays are so shallow i have concerns that putting them away flat will get tedious making sure the resources arent piled up higher than the lip of the tray.

I am looking forward to my first game this weekend so i can judge what the insert does for actual setup time and game management. I usually make my own foam core inserts, but i had been curious about wooden inserts in general, was charmed by the nice touches and decorations on this one, and since i currently have my hands full with other crafting projects i bought this one to try. I think there is a nonzero chance i will decide to make a custom foam insert at a later date with my specific design requirements*, but then again, i always have projects i want to do and may decide that this will be good enough for me.

*i find the resource trays that came with the game mildly irritating in their own right and would love to replace them... but if i ever do that, i expect to have to design around whatever i come up with.

Edit: Played my first game with the insert, and it definitely sped up setup, though I never timed my setup requirements before or after, so I don't have a good estimate on how much it saved. Overall, I am satisfied in spite of my frustrations putting it together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.