Subject: Another reason why I can't take AGW Screamers seriously. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Critics gave former Vice President Al Gore grief for predicting in An Inconvenient Truth that major cities including lower Manhattan would be underwater if severe ice melt occurred.

Now Gore is rewriting history to claim his prediction came true in promotion footage of his upcoming film, An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, which debuted at Sundance on Jan. 19.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/business/julia-seymour/2017...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Quote:
Critics gave former Vice President Al Gore grief for predicting in An Inconvenient Truth that major cities including lower Manhattan would be underwater if severe ice melt occurred.

Now Gore is rewriting history to claim his prediction came true in promotion footage of his upcoming film, An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power, which debuted at Sundance on Jan. 19.

If the first prediction was predicated on 'if' and 'if' hasn't happened yet, then it's not yet wrong. I've not watch the original film to see if storm surge is mentioned anywhere.

Love the fringe publication for reference though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Quote:

If the first prediction was predicated on 'if' and 'if' hasn't happened yet, then it's not yet wrong. I've not watch the original film to see if storm surge is mentioned anywhere.

Love the fringe publication for reference though.

Yeah, inject some of that leftist toxicity right from the start. Breathe it in, yeah, does it smell good how toxic you want to make this forum?

Let me know when the huffington post would put up something like this.
Oh wait, they wouldnt?
That is IMPOSSIBLE right?
I mean why wouldnt they look at what the film said, and look at his revision.
Its like this FRINGE publication didnt DEMONSTRATE how they arrived at their conclusions.
Or did they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're begin extremely ungenerous and he is tweaking things but again his original prediction hasn't been proven false yet. They want to make a thing out of Greenland still having ice 11yr later. So? That means we can't judge the prediction yet, true?

The storm surge bit seems needless, or just poorly worded. A better wording would have been to call sandy a preview of the prediction. Part sea level rise (which the article references) and part storm giving a glimpse to the potential future.

Questioning obscure sources with obvious bias on display (the tagline for the website is about debunking the 'liberal media') isn't toxicity Dashi, it is simply good research. If shreve started up a blog would you take everything posted there at face value?

A better example of toxicity would be a thread title labeling those who follow the science on AGW as 'screamers' even before the discussion is opened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Having been fooled by a "news analysis" piece (posted by Drew) from The Federalist that had failed fact-checking, lied and misled, I'm going to need to see the section of the original movie where Gore talks about the factors that will produce flooding around the WTC site.

Link from your article at newsbusters.org
http://www.slashfilm.com/an-inconvenient-sequel-clip/

Al Gore: "Ten years ago, when the movie An Inconvenient Truth came out ... showing that the combination of sea-level rise and storm surge would put the ocean water into the 9/11 memorial site ... "

Someone is clearly talking crap.

If it turns out that you've been misled by a fake news story TheDashi, what are you going to do?

Ignore that you've been suckered and charge on with your confidence in newsbusters.org, and similar sites, undented?

Or face-up, examine your gullibility and re-consider your weighting of relative trustworthiness of various news sites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Having been fooled by a "news analysis" piece (posted by Drew) from The Federalist that had failed fact-checking, lied and misled, I'm going to need to see the section of the original movie where Gore talks about the factors that will produce flooding around the WTC site.

Al Gore: "Ten years ago, when the movie An Inconvenient Truth came out ... showing that the combination of sea-level rise and storm surge would put the ocean water into the 9/11 memorial site ... "

If it turns out that you've been misled by a fake news story TheDashi, what are you going to do?

Ignore that you've been suckered and charge on with your confidence in newsbusters.org, and similar sites, undented?

Or face-up, examine your gullibility and re-consider your weighting of relative trustworthiness of various news sites?

Only a moron would use a medium level to minor level storm to conflate a stupid prediction with the rise of sea levels and the proof that AlGore is a demigod. Jesus! I can believe he defended his bogus claims, but you guys have the fucking internet - go read up on Sandy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:

A better example of toxicity would be a thread title labeling those who follow the science on AGW as 'screamers' even before the discussion is opened.

It's not 'toxicity,' it's 'alternative courtesy.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dickie Crickets
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Only a moron would use a medium level to minor level storm to conflate a stupid prediction with the rise of sea levels and the proof that AlGore is a demigod. Jesus! I can believe he defended his bogus claims, but you guys have the fucking internet - go read up on Sandy.

"SCIENCE MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!!! RAHHHHHHHHHH BAD SCEINCE!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't disagree with Dashi's presentation of what was said. I just don't consider it much of a gotcha. If greenland had melted (remember the site making a deal about it being 11 yrs later? Gore is talking 50-70yrs, it's right in the clip (on youtube, that's how I found it, under 'greenland')) so the article is doing some manipulation too.

6-8inches of rise in 11yrs, 1-2ft stormsurge. If the rste remains constant he should be right on the money, and the rste isn't supposed to be costsnt it is supposed to be a feedback loop.

Gore just needs to get better screenwriters, but so far he seems to be on track.

Also:I don't believe in demigods Tripp, I'm Christian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eaglebeak wrote:
DWTripp wrote:

"DAMMIT, THAT MAKES SENSE!!!!"

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another reason why I can't take Dashi links seriously.

Gore clearly states that "a combination of sea level rise and storm surge" could flood the 9/11 site (0:13).

The storm surge from Sandy alone reached the site, thus proving what Gore said is possible.

Dashi's fair and balanced website is crying because it didn't happen EXACTLY as Al said, what happened was worse than Al's scenario.

TERRIBLE REPORTING. SAD.

"I have ridden the moon worm!"- Al Gore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

Gore clearly states that "a combination of sea level rise and storm surge" could flood the 9/11 site (0:13).

The storm surge from Sandy alone reached the site, thus proving what Gore said is possible.

Dashi's fair and balanced website is crying because it didn't happen EXACTLY as Al said, what happened was worse than Al's scenario.

TERRIBLE REPORTING. SAD.

Temporary flooding due to WEATHER, worse than permanent flooding due to "climate change?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
DWTripp wrote:

Only a moron would use a medium level to minor level storm to conflate a stupid prediction with the rise of sea levels and the proof that AlGore is a demigod.

This is what I ask:

Does "An Inconvenient Truth" say,
A. "storm surge and sea-level rise will flood 9/11 site",
or,
B. "sea-level rise will flood 9/11 site".

We have recent video in my post with Gore claiming that it was "A."

Newsbusters.org claims it was "B."

Who is talking crap?
Who is trying to fill the heads of Americans with shit?
What response do those who have been fooled make?
Burp and suck on the tit again?

If it's Gore in a prepared speech then fuck him.

If it's newsbusters.org then fuck them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Thanks to Al Gore, who invented it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald wrote:

TERRIBLE REPORTING. SAD.

It does not appear that is what he said in the first movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Temporary flooding due to WEATHER, worse than permanent flooding due to "climate change?"

How do you get that from what I wrote? Seriously, I want to know.

Simply put: The storm surge from Sandy reaching the 9/11 site proves what Gore said is possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite likely that many of the AGW predictions will be wrong. It's not as though there is a consensus of how AGW will play out. However, there is consensus that AGW is in play. What that means remains to be seen. But additional chaos can hardly be a good thing for stability from a human standpoint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't read Gore's original book, but if his claim was that the Greenland ice sheet melting could significantly flood out lower Manhattan he is likely correct. See the comment here from the National Snow and Ice Data Center which states that scientists estimate that if the Greenland ice sheet melted entirely than sea level would rise by about twenty feet.

https://nsidc.org/cryosphere/quickfacts/icesheets.html

That's more than enough to flood out lower Manhattan. Note they also estimate that if the Antarctic ice sheet melted sea level would rise by 200 feet. That would be quite catastrophic for most coastal regions around the globe including Manhattan.

In truth, the ice sheets in both areas have not melted completely, but they are melting at a rapid pace that concerns most climatologists. See the following link that discusses Greenland ice melt:

http://nsidc.org/greenland-today/

Note that just about every measure there shows increased melt, and lower mass for the ice sheet over the past 20 to 30 years.

Even more ice resides in Antarctica and the news there does not appear to be promising either. See here:

http://climate.nasa.gov/vital-signs/land-ice/

In short, both Greenland and Antarctica show ice melt that is of great concern to climatologists and both appear to be melting at an ever greater rate. Sadly, we just don't know if a tipping point has been reached or if that tipping point has now become inevitable. What is pretty clear, is that if we as a species continue to rely on burning of fossil fuels and pump gigatonnes of CO2 into the air every year, these meltdowns will occur.

My last suggestion applies to you as well as any other AGW denier. Stick to accessing websites run by scientists and climatologists for your data and for your analyses. You'll be much better off and you'll actually learn more about the issue. Using right wing websites that don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to AGW is not going to teach you anything of value and is more likely to get you thinking incorrectly about the topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Pinook wrote:

A person referring to the second most destructive storm (after Katrina) as a "medium level to minor level storm" really does not have too much credibility in labeling others as "morons".

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/10/29/sandy-a...

I read up on Sandy, seems like you did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
It's quite likely that many of the AGW predictions will be wrong. It's not as though there is a consensus of how AGW will play out. However, there is consensus that AGW is in play. What that means remains to be seen. But additional chaos can hardly be a good thing for stability from a human standpoint.

So the 97%(which has been dis proven) of scientists can agree that AGW is happening, but these super smart(not driven by money) people can not figure out what happens next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Vrooman wrote:

So the 97%(which has been dis proven) of scientists can agree that AGW is happening, but these super smart(not driven by money) people can not figure out what happens next?
What are you expecting? People can't even predict the stock market and that is 100% a manmade construct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh E

Naperville
Illinois
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:

Note extreme weather events is the hallmark of climate change. I don't care what you think causes it, but it is happening, and many corporations are already planning mitigation strategies and cost analyses. It shouldn't be ignored.

Some places get colder, even- I've seen the global warming term hasn't been used as much recently- even through the overall trend is an increase.

Edited for spelling. Darn phones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vrooman wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Vrooman wrote:

What are you expecting? People can't even predict the stock market and that is 100% a manmade construct.

You suggesting that the climate is sentient?
The stock market is affected by sentient beings making either ration or irrational decisions. As in they dont obey a strict set of rules like say, the climate right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
derim wrote:
TheDashi wrote:

Note extreme weather events is the hallmark of climate change. I don't care what you think causes it, but it is happening, and many corporations are already planning mitigation strategies and cost analyses. It shouldn't be ignored.

Some places get colder, even- I've train the global warming term hasn't been used as much tenderly- even through the overall trend is an increase.

When was the last hurricane?
Yet another reason can't take it seriously.
WORST HURRICANE SEASON ON THE WAY!!!!!

Waiting, waiting, when was the last bad one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Miniapples
Minisoda
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
Vrooman wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
Vrooman wrote:

You suggesting that the climate is sentient?
The stock market is affected by sentient beings making either ration or irrational decisions. As in they dont obey a strict set of rules like say, the climate right?
Not going to get too deep into this, but AGW means sentient influence of climate, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.