Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My main team will apparently be my wife and I. Are there combos of characters that tend to work better than others?

I was thinking the best would be a melee + a ranged character, and the worst might be 2 ranged (since enemies would engage at least one of them in melee range)?

For those who have played with 2 characters already, what were your findings?

Or is it perhaps best to play the first scenario 3 different times so all 6 characters can be tried out, and then decide how to proceed?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:

I was thinking the best would be a melee + a ranged character, and the worst might be 2 ranged (since enemies would engage at least one of them in melee range)?

I guess it depends a bit on your playstyle. You can play two ranged characters and that's perfectly viable, but you'll have to do a lot of running away from the bad guys.

ebridge wrote:

For those who have played with 2 characters already, what were your findings?

I have only played solo but I like the Brute + Spellweaver in that setting. The Brute is a straight-forward melee character and the Spellweaver is ranged and a bit more tricky. If I were to play with someone else, then I'd probably like to see the Brute replaced by the Mindthief, because it's a more "interesting" class.

ebridge wrote:

Or is it perhaps best to play the first scenario 3 different times so all 6 characters can be tried out, and then decide how to proceed?

This is a great idea. All classes definitely feel different, so you might want to get a better idea before making any decision final.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mindthief + Spellweaver might be a little hard. They have only 6 HP each, and are not the best tank. The Mindthief could tank, but it would be really hard and you need to know what you're doing, so I would avoid this combo.

I was not a fan of the combo Scoundrel and Cragheart. The first one need to be next to his allies, the second one does damages to nearby allies. But I still won easily with them, because the tankiness of the Cragheart and the DPS of both was enough.

Beside that, I'm not sure there is really bad combo. Some will be more dps focused, some more survival, etc.

A "simple" one might be Brute and Tinkerer. The Brute deal a nice amount of DPS and tank as no one. While the Tinkerer can do good damages but also heal and give cards back to the Brute. But really, beside Mindthief + Spellweaver, there is no bad combo (and again, even this one can be played, it's just way harder and less fun I find).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sundown
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can highly customize your character over the course of the game through items and by choosing specific ability cards that suit your play style every time you level up. That being said though, some classes will just have a harder time during a 2 player game compared to a 4 player game.

Among the 6 starting character classes the one class that is limited the most would be the Scoundrel. Not that it's impossible to play the game with her, but it's just how the class works by design. She really needs at least one other ally in melee range to perform well. So if you want the Scoundrel in your 2 player party, the other player should be focusing on melee, too. That could be the Brute, the Cragheart or even someone who summons a lot of minions to help out the Scoundrel.

On the other hand, a highly customizable class would be the Cragheart. With the right items and ability cards you can play him either as your typical tank (but he tends to damage everyone around him, even his allies, so be wary of that) or an incredible strong damage dealer, either focusing on melee attacks, ranged attacks or some combination in between. He can even fill the roll of a healer pretty well.

Among the starting classes only the Brute and the Cragheart can choose a perk to ignore negative item effects, meaning you can wear really defensive items without penalties. That's why the Brute is best suited for the typical very defensive tank role. But by choosing the right ability cards you can play him very offensively, too.

Spellweaver and Mindthief have very low hp, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend them both in a 2 player game but in the hands of a good player there should be nothing to really worry about. Both of them have a lot in their disposal while the Mindthief is generally more melee focused while the Spellweaver is purely ranged.

The Tinkerer is basically a jack of all trades who's able to do everything really good, but typically only once over the course of a given scenario (meaning you've got a very powerful single target ability, a melee and ranged area effect, a powerful trap and a summon, some buffs for your allies etc.). It's a highly versatile class right from the get go with strong healing powers but requires some foresight to play him to the fullest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winterfeld
United States
Tecumseh
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I am tossing up the tinkerer, spellweaver, and mindthief (I love the look of this model).

My buddy is going to play the cragheart. So what class do you think would compliment it the best (I don't want to be a support class and let him do all the killing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Alexandre
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you let others do all the killing, you have all the time in the world to get gold . With cragheart, the best classes to kill also are the Spellweaver, the Brute, the Mindthief, and the Tinkerer. They're all pretty good at damages, the Spellweaver being the most powerful, and the Tinkerer the less (but it does not mean he's not powerful, he's just not powerful every time). The Scoundrel is the only class who will lose damages because of the Cragheart in a 2 characters team. I mean, it will lose damages, or hit points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icechamber wrote:
Ok I am tossing up the tinkerer, spellweaver, and mindthief (I love the look of this model).

My buddy is going to play the cragheart. So what class do you think would compliment it the best (I don't want to be a support class and let him do all the killing).

Any of those choices is viable, but if you asked me what was the most optimal and closest to your requirements I'd lean towards spellweaver. Tinkerer feels a bit punchless for two player and the spellweaver has a ton of firepower and is ranged so the Cragheart can safely use his friendly fire causing abilities with fewer issues.

Mindthief is flexible which might be good in a two person party though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I'm thinking the best 2 player combos might be Spellweaver - Cragheart (Ranged damage + melee damage), Mindthief - Tinkerer (Damage + healing), and Brute - Scoundrel (Melee tanking + "backstab" abilities).

We might play the first scenario 3 times with these combos and see which style we prefer. Of course if we don't like any of them we can mix them up some more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started with Spellweaver/Cragheart and really loved that combination. I ended up adding the Scoundrel in as well for a party of 3 and that's been an absolute blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bridge
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
c4dillon wrote:
Started with Spellweaver/Cragheart and really loved that combination. I ended up adding the Scoundrel in as well for a party of 3 and that's been an absolute blast.

Yeah I was thinking that combo would work well. I was worried the Scoundrel might get "caught" in some AOE effects of the Cragheart. Did that end up being an issue at all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Corn

Washington
msg tools
Now that the game is out, has anyone been using the mindthief in a 2 player game? I want to play mindtheif in a game with my wife, but I'm concerned that the class may be too strange to play in a 2 player game, with it's low HP and mostly melee attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woogles wrote:
Now that the game is out, has anyone been using the mindthief in a 2 player game? I want to play mindtheif in a game with my wife, but I'm concerned that the class may be too strange to play in a 2 player game, with it's low HP and mostly melee attacks.
My girlfriend and I will play the Brute and the Mindthief... when our EU copy arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
madspy1337
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Woogles wrote:

I'm currently 2 scenarios in, playing as the mindthief with my gf as the brute. I think it's a good combination, especially if you add a few of the mindthief 's X ability cards which lets him move or attack with one of your allies (on your turn).

With that said, I'm still figuring out how to use the augments to max effect, so my role so far has been more support/ranged. I think it's possible to play more offensive, but you have to be careful with only 6hp. The brute is a tank though and has no problem playing that role.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A bad combination might be the Spellweaver and the Scoundrel. I've played 5 times at level 1 and have yet to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dillon Flaherty
United States
Severna Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ebridge wrote:
c4dillon wrote:

Yeah I was thinking that combo would work well. I was worried the Scoundrel might get "caught" in some AOE effects of the Cragheart. Did that end up being an issue at all?

There can be some of that, the Cragheart in general can deal out a bit of friendly fire - luckily the Scoundrel usually has quite a bit of movement, and once I bought her the boots that allow one move with "flying" per rest, she was able to get positioned MUCH better and usually out of the Cragheart line of fire!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.