Hide
10 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mirkwood cycle worth buying? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Have opportunity to buy cycle at slightly reduced price. Already buying the hobbit saga boxes but was wondering if the mirkwood cycle would be worth the add or if they were so old my money would be better spent on a later set. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say at least some of the packs are definitely worth getting, but you might as well get the whole thing. Particularly if you get them discounted.

The cards I consider most important are some of the Song cards, which give you much more flexibility with hero setup. The four different cards in question give your heroes an extra sphere, making it possible to do single-sphere hero setups (or stealth mode with two heroes) and still cover more than one sphere of cards. There are also other Song cards, like Song of Mocking, which is a taunt.

You'll also get various eagles (Landroval and friends), a horse to expedite quest progress, threat reduction, a bit of Rohan and Dúnedain synergy, shadow cancellation, several readying effects, Frodo and Dain Ironfoot. I basically consider it the cards they couldn't fit into the core's price point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it helps. I am a newer player and having finished up on the core set I am playing through mirkwood now and having a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely worth buying, especially since you're also getting the Hobbit saga. Dain Ironfoot (Return to Mirkwood) is the most powerful hero for a Dwarf deck available.

Mirkwood cycle also has many of the Rohan allies and nearly all of the Eagle cards in the game. Tactics Boromir (Dead Marshes) is one of the most powerful heroes in the game. The various song cards are useful for resource smoothing. Dunedain Mark (Hunt for Gollum) and Dunedain Warning (Conflict at the Carrock) are great cards that still find their way into my deck. A Burning Brand (Conflict at the Carrock) is the best cure for nasty shadow cards to this day. Fast Hitch (Dead Marshes) is priceless with Hobbits, should you ever get the LOTR saga (or use Spirit Frodo, from this cycle).

The quests themselves are largely not my favorites after playing so many others that were more clever and/or challenging, but playing it with a limited card pool as my first cycle I found them very enjoyable, except for trying to beat Return to Mirkwood one-handed solo. (It's akin to Dol Goldur in its unfairness to single decks). In the recent quest championship swiss rounds here's where the six quests ranked (out of 86 quests) by the veteran voters:

15) Conflict at the Carrock
70) Return to Mirkwood
72) The Hunt for Gollum
79) The Hills of Emyn Muil
82) The Dead Marshes
85) Journey to Rhosgobel

So with the glaring exception of Conflict at the Carrock, these aren't really considered classic quests anymore -- but as a new player I think you'll enjoy them more than much tougher quests that placed higher in the rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Misterpetersen wrote:
Have opportunity to buy cycle at slightly reduced price. Already buying the hobbit saga boxes but was wondering if the mirkwood cycle would be worth the add or if they were so old my money would be better spent on a later set. Thanks

Unlike in CCG, there's really no such thing as "too old" in the LCG genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Petersen
msg tools
Turns out he doesn't have hunt for Gollum but has the rest. I believe they are releasing reprints soon so I can pick it up later. You have convinced me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
dalestephenson wrote:
In the recent quest championship swiss rounds here's where the six quests ranked (out of 86 quests) by the veteran voters:

Ugh. And I HATE that one. Those sack always seem to top-deck while Grimbeorn and the Bee Fields hide at the bottom.

I know this if OT, but what do people see in that quest?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jomurph86 wrote:
dalestephenson wrote:
In the recent quest championship swiss rounds here's where the six quests ranked (out of 86 quests) by the veteran voters:

Ugh. And I HATE that one. Those sack always seem to top-deck while Grimbeorn and the Bee Fields hide at the bottom.

I know this if OT, but what do people see in that quest?

An interesting "boss fight", I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it challanging without feeling unfair - I always knew I could have done better until I did beat it.

I just started Journey to Rhosgobel and kind of understand the low rating. Feels a bit cheap and obviously pushing you to build a certain deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, interesting about CatC being rated so highly. I remember when I first played it, being pretty new at the game, I stepped away thinking 'this is impossible!' Maybe fifteen minutes later I realized what needed to be done... and then thought it was too easy. That said it is kind-of unique and has a pretty fun ramping up component. I also remember Return to Mirkwood being a fun solo challenge, kind of buckleup-in-for-a-wild-ride rush. That and Journey to Rhosgobel were the highlights of Mirkwood for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.