Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about the details of the Spiel des Jahres, but I do recall that DXV said somewhere that they had to be careful to not change anything in one version or another so that the Spiel des Jahres logo could be used. Certainly enough time has passed and Dominion clearly has demonstrated staying power that the Spiel des Jahres logo isn't as big a boost as it was in the early days. With the changes to 2nd edition, does this mean that the 2nd edition of Dominion can not be referred to as the 2009 Spiel des Jahres Winner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that's correct, yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it mean it could have won the 2016 Spiel des Jahres, though?!? (It didn't, but was it eligible?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
Does it mean it could have won the 2016 Spiel des Jahres, though?!? (It didn't, but was it eligible?)
It wouldn't even be eligible. Donald has confessed in the secret history of the game that he feels the game was too complex to be nominated for the SdJ, let alone win it.

Dominion won, which was again a surprise; even though the nomination meant it wasn’t too complex, I still thought it was too complex. Dominion is pretty simple ruleswise – play an action, play treasures, buy a card, discard, draw five. Which some people abbreviate as ABC. But it’s a trick: there are rules on the cards. You have to count those. When you count those it’s a lot more complex. It’s turn one of your first game: read ten cards. Anyway it won, I don’t know what to tell you. I always imagine that they decided later that oops, it was too complex after all, and then the next few years some very simple games won, as if that proves anything. Anyway I thought and hoped that the award would make it easier to get games published, and while it did, it wasn’t so extreme as I had been hoping. It really takes two of them before people think, man, let’s just publish something from this guy, see what happens.

Well, we can see that some really bad games ninja have won the SdJ. What do Andreas Seyfarth and Leonardo DiCaprio have in common? They were both awarded the highest honor in retrospective "Honoris Causa", just because they didn't earn it when they truly deserved it.

Anyway, this award doesn't mean much to me. I do believe that Dominion is one of the finest card games in the land and an innovator. Nevertheless, I feel that Kingdom Builder was much more "eligible" for the SdJ, which I actually enjoy. Despite being called weird for that. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
darthnice wrote:
I don't know much about the details of the Spiel des Jahres, but I do recall that DXV said somewhere that they had to be careful to not change anything in one version or another so that the Spiel des Jahres logo could be used. Certainly enough time has passed and Dominion clearly has demonstrated staying power that the Spiel des Jahres logo isn't as big a boost as it was in the early days. With the changes to 2nd edition, does this mean that the 2nd edition of Dominion can not be referred to as the 2009 Spiel des Jahres Winner?

To continue to use the logo the publisher who wanted to use it would simply need to ask the SdJ people if it was okay. In the past they have certainly agreed sometimes, for example with Carcassonne.

Jay decided not to use the logo, I believe because he didn't think it would affect sales at this point in the USA. I am guessing that Altenburger will decide they want to keep using the logo, and so ask the SdJ people (and may have already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.