Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Walker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This was Teima’s first stab at this game and she got off to a flier playing Red. Quickly gaining Military supremacy in both regions she had Blue haemorrhaging cards at an alarming rate. She was always low on cards to hand but that didn’t matter after such a good start. My demise through deck exhaustion was inevitable.

Game 2 was another story. I got to choose first from the ‘bonus deck’ and swapped five, really getting into God (cards) big time. Tiema only swapped three, clearly complacent after the first round stroll. I steamed in and quickly established Religious supremacy, which enabled me to leave Red thoroughly cursed. Unable to amass enough cards to put up a defence to this witchcraft, Tiema succumbed at the end of her fifth turn.

And so to the decider. Tiema adopted a ‘no swap’ strategy on the basis that I’d swiped all the good cards after round one. The result of a reprise of the previous round, so Red ran out a comfortable 2-1 winner.

We both really enjoyed the game, even though each round was fairly one-sided, and can’t wait to play it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Session Report
Bribaba (#25983),

You may not be playing the post-game "swap" session right...

Before either player chooses new cards, BOTH players must put five cards from their deck in with the neutral cards. The loser of the previous game gets to pick five cards first, then the winner.

This allows the loser of the previous game a crack at some of the winner's cards. The winner may not be allowed to "stand pat."

A "no swap" strategy is only possible if one is the loser, since one can just pick the same cards just put in. That is a possibility in the match you just described, but I wondered if you missed this obscure procedure.

Personally, I've found that it can be difficult to decide what to lose from one's deck, particularly after the first swap.

Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
sdiberar (#26182),

From the rules (available in .pdf here on the geek):

"After the first and second games, both players simultaneously remove UP TO five cards from their decks and place them into the bonus deck" (emphasis mine).

So it actually would appear that you've been playing with an unintentional variant of the rules.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Octavian (#26190),

Whoops! Thanks, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Bribaba (#26198),

Brian -

You played correctly. I was correcting the poster who was trying to correct you. The rules support the way that you played in your session report.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Octavian (#26205),

Thanks, Matt. The printed rules do say 'up to'. Like many, I've had a few problems with the rules as written and I really thought I'd finally cracked it.

And I had!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.