Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: question (as I wait for the PM) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So... I'm about 90% done with deciding on my KD choices, but have a question where the answer obviously involves a lot of speculation...

I've got all the 1st expansion material except the lonely tree, and, I believe the material relevant for this, I've got the frogdog (i.e. another level 1), screaming god (high level) and super forest campaign (with everything but the weaver, currently) as definite choices.

Of these 3, which order would you recommend...
-campaign of death
-silver city
-weaver

Thoughts?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
So... I'm about 90% done with deciding on my KD choices, but have a question where the answer obviously involves a lot of speculation...

I've got all the 1st expansion material except the lonely tree, and, I believe the material relevant for this, I've got the frogdog (i.e. another level 1), screaming god (high level) and super forest campaign (with everything but the weaver, currently) as definite choices.

Of these 3, which order would you recommend...
-campaign of death
-silver city
-weaver

Thoughts?



Campaigns of Death looks to be a bargain to me, especially for people with all the old stuff like you, Nick. You're getting at least 3 long timelines, probably some smaller ones, guides for making your own, possible hybrid gear and a giant new Butcher.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Having seen other stuff you post in the KD forums, my hunch would be that you would get the most out of Campaigns of Death.

Personally, I think the weaver is one of the scariest monsters and creepiest designs I've seen, so I'd go that direction. But I get that's totally subjective. I think there might be some really interesting and useful info in the the CoD book that will let someone get under the hood and tinker with the KD:M system in really big ways without having to resort to house rules and fan variants.

But you're right, total speculation.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
My guess is also Campaign of Death. It's tough to say though since we don't really know anything about it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Shaw
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
So... I'm about 90% done with deciding on my KD choices, but have a question where the answer obviously involves a lot of speculation...

I've got all the 1st expansion material except the lonely tree, and, I believe the material relevant for this, I've got the frogdog (i.e. another level 1), screaming god (high level) and super forest campaign (with everything but the weaver, currently) as definite choices.

Of these 3, which order would you recommend...
-campaign of death
-silver city
-weaver

Thoughts?



You know eventually you are going to cave in and get all of them. Why not just pull the trigger and be merry?

In my own order of pref. (own Core + all old exp. except lonely tree):
- CoD (more milage and customization is a good thing)
- weaver (it's the only thing missing from your complete forest campaign)
- silver city (cool concept pitch, who knows how it might be adjusted in the dev process, so more risky)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: question (as I wait for the PM
I know this is not helpful for you Nick, and for that I apologise, but as a KDM noob I'm glad I Satan pledged - I am spared the agony of "what to buy?!??".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thats a tough choice, i get the feeling all 3 are going to be great.

Luckily i have all expansions so i dont have to worry.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
I own all of the expansions, so I feel the campaign of death would provide the most. In addition, you get that awesome ancient butcher! Which hopefully will have a more dynamic pose
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough choice.

Lots of love for CoD, for obvious reasons.

However, my personal pledge thoughts were Ancient Gold for all old expansions
+ CoD
+ Abyssal Forest
+ Silver City
+ Weaver.

So, uncannily similar to yours.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that looking at the Woods content there appears to be no node 1 quarries included, so I'd get that and the weaver for sure. Note that the weaver contains 2 models for nodes 1 and 3. Personally I'd go for the Weaver over the Frogdog.

Silver City looks fantastic. A totally new experience. Although CoD looks cool, no matter how good those 3 new campaigns are they won't be anything like Silver City. Plus SC contains a load of new plastic mobs, for you to stretch your painting chops on. Loads.

So my 2 pence, FWIW..

- Frogdog
+ Weaver
+ Silver City
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Campaigns of Death the same as the Gamblers Chest Philosophies of Death?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WrenHong wrote:
Tough choice.

Lots of love for CoD, for obvious reasons.

However, my personal pledge thoughts were Ancient Gold for all old expansions
+ CoD
+ Abyssal Forest
+ Silver City
+ Weaver.

So, uncannily similar to yours.

I think it's worth bearing in mind that looking at the Woods content there appears to be no node 1 quarries included, so I'd get that and the weaver for sure. Note that the weaver contains 2 models for nodes 1 and 3. Personally I'd go for the Weaver over the Frogdog.

Silver City looks fantastic. A totally new experience. Although CoD looks cool, no matter how good those 3 new campaigns are they won't be anything like Silver City. Plus SC contains a load of new plastic mobs, for you to stretch your painting chops on. Loads.

So my 2 pence, FWIW..

- Frogdog
+ Weaver
+ Silver City


Abyssal woods also requires the old Flower Knight and Spidicules, as well as the weaver. Promises to be a nice big campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: getting 'em all... maybe, depends on how long the PM's open if the burn of throwing that cash at the KS has worn off, but KD's passed the point where I feel it's a good plan to try to keep up 100% with content, so, trying to figure stuff out more cautiously.

I think the silver city sounds awesome, but it's not a very good discount and the priciest of them...

Re: taking out the frogdog, I'm actually splitting that with a miniatures collector friend, where he doesn't care about KD and I don't like the model (trying to figure out a frog-ish monster that I like better, but expect the rules to be good enough), otherwise, yeah, I'd have swapped it for the weaver as a node 1 quarry and then chosen between the other 2.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
Stealth7 wrote:
Is Campaigns of Death the same as the Gamblers Chest Philosophies of Death?


No, Campaigns of Death is a separate $40 (KS) expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Webster
United Kingdom
Leeds
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

I think the silver city sounds awesome, but it's not a very good discount and the priciest of them...


Well, looking at your work (which, as an aspiring mini painter I have been doing a crapload of by the way, so thank you) I have to assume that the hobby aspect of the game is at least somewhat relevant to you, no?

So what do you get, hobbywise?

CoD - $40 - 1 mini (Maybe big, maybe medium)
Weaver - $50 - 8 minis
Silver City - $65 - 15 minis

So from a hobby perspective alone SC is the best value, especially at standard KD prices per mini. Plus they are all going to be monster type mobs, not your standard narrative survivor sculpts.

So if all that, plus the genuinely different campaign style don't seem worth a few extra bucks to you.. Well, I guess you've already made up your mind?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
To clarify, I speak as someone who has yet to play the game, but is a backer in the current Kickstarter. I set a limit for myself initially, but what I'be read, watched, and researched pushed me waaay over (I consider this game a long-term investment with high replayability, and it speaks to the Berserk and Dark Souls lover in me).

Anyway, as I can only speak from a conceptual place:

+ SC seems like a very interesting way to change up the standard gameplay. If you're looking to change up the experience, I think this is looking great (I would have purchased, but I initially didn't plan on getting the Lion God)

+ I'm big on thematics, so even though HCW is 'optional' for the Forest campaign, it would further the experience, as well as give you another Node 1 (and 3) quarry... it was both, right?

+ If you have all CE, then this is probably a good pick. I don't, so it wasn't worth the gamble. If you're content with the core gameplay and want to expand it, get this.

I think it comes down to whether or not you want to add dungeon crawling or not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
For example, I loved the dungeon-crawling concept of Nightmare Ram, so I wanted that expansion no matter what. If you were drawn to NR from the beginning, and like the concept of encounters (like the Oblivion Mosquito) mixed in, then I don't think you'll regret SC.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Hmm. Probably go with Weaver first, then Silver City. CoD sounds a lot more like something to play with once you've finished everything else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Harder
Canada
flag msg tools
As I stand now, my current order is:

1) HCW
2) Silver City
3) CoD

If I had all the old expansions already...

1) Silver City
2) CoD
3) HCW
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Re: getting 'em all... maybe, depends on how long the PM's open if the burn of throwing that cash at the KS has worn off, but KD's passed the point where I feel it's a good plan to try to keep up 100% with content, so, trying to figure stuff out more cautiously.

I think the silver city sounds awesome, but it's not a very good discount and the priciest of them...

Re: taking out the frogdog, I'm actually splitting that with a miniatures collector friend, where he doesn't care about KD and I don't like the model (trying to figure out a frog-ish monster that I like better, but expect the rules to be good enough), otherwise, yeah, I'd have swapped it for the weaver as a node 1 quarry and then chosen between the other 2.


When you find a reasonable alternative for Frogdog, post your discovery on the Geek, please. I like almost all the new proposed models, but I hate Frogdog. Maybe its just growing up in the American Southeast making me overly sensitive and leading me to see stuff that isn't actually there, but the design of the Frogdog sculpt shares a certain uncanny resemblance to old racist caricature sculptures and dolls you can see kicking around in antique stores sometimes. The concept art doesn't give me that impression at all, but the way the sculptor tweaked certain of the facial features on the model leaves me unable to unsee the similarity. Really hoping to find a replacement for it, because Frogdog is one of the few models in the KD range that makes me uncomfortable in a way that I don't enjoy.

Edit: Oh! And to answer your question: I would recommend you go Weaver first, to complete your Woods expansion, then CoD to have access to the alternate campaigns. Silver City sounds fun as heck, but it's the one expansion of the three that seems like it could be removed. Making the Lion God more complex and interesting is fine and dandy, but the Lion God is a fairly minor expansion that works just fine on its own, especially now that we have more lantern years to play with. CoD impacts (from what we can tell) multiple expansions and going without Weaver might leave you in a situation where you have to homebrew certain things to get full use of all of Woods's features.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
If the Honeycomb Weaver is of the same approximate difficulty as the Antelope and Spidicules, it is a Frogdog alternative, i.e. something you can hunt instead of lions early in the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Johnson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zamnath wrote:
[q="spiralingcadaver"]I like almost all the new proposed models, but I hate Frogdog. Maybe its just growing up in the American Southeast making me overly sensitive and leading me to see stuff that isn't actually there, but the design of the Frogdog sculpt shares a certain uncanny resemblance to old racist caricature sculptures and dolls you can see kicking around in antique stores sometimes. The concept art doesn't give me that impression at all, but the way the sculptor tweaked certain of the facial features on the model leaves me unable to unsee the similarity. Really hoping to find a replacement for it, because Frogdog is one of the few models in the KD range that makes me uncomfortable in a way that I don't enjoy


Small world, I also thought of those racist dolls when I saw the FD sculpts. I also grew up in the south east, so you're not alone. Frog dog overall was a huge turn off for me, the electric farts crossed over too far into the juvenile for me. I'm excited to get my hands on the core + dragon King though!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Mullen
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
In that order, actually:

Campaigns of Death
Silver City
Honeycomb Weaver

You're a veteran KDMer and you have almost all the expansions, so CoD will offer (presumably) a pile of options to reuse and perhaps change up the stuff you already have.

Likewise, late game things are often more in demand for veteran KDMers, and Silver City seems like it can provide a lot of mid-late game entertainment.

Weaver third because of the three options it offers the least, although it sounds as if it will be a fairly generous quarry.

Unrelated, but addressing some of the comments late in the thread: now that you mention it, yeah, Frogdog does sort of look like that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, man, you guys are not making this easy! Thought there might be some consensus, but I've been waffling around for a while.

And yep, I'll definitely post whatever I find for the frogdog, hadn't really latched on to the racist thing (just didn't like the model), but it's definitely hard to un-see
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think you'll probably like more the honeycomb Weaver.

It's the only expansion you listed, so it probably interested you since the beginning.

It also pitched great mechanics, and actually comes in two versions. I suppose it's just a matter of getting it first, because you can get the rest near real time on the store. It's intriguing, and although you are interested in analyzing mechanics, you always liked playing the content, and there is probably plenty there.

For the same reasons, silver city is great too, but forgive me if I think you suffer the roleplayers curse: you like the early to mid stage of the game, because you enjoy the growth more than the final challenges. Of course, if I happen to be wrong and you are an endgamer, switch my suggestions

The campaign book, well, it's interesting as a read and the alternate campaigns are probably worthy, but a campaign is as good as its end boss, so that's the focal point to judge. I think it will come out at least good, but I think you can delay that a bit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pathological_RJ wrote:
Zamnath wrote:
[q="spiralingcadaver"]I like almost all the new proposed models, but I hate Frogdog. Maybe its just growing up in the American Southeast making me overly sensitive and leading me to see stuff that isn't actually there, but the design of the Frogdog sculpt shares a certain uncanny resemblance to old racist caricature sculptures and dolls you can see kicking around in antique stores sometimes. The concept art doesn't give me that impression at all, but the way the sculptor tweaked certain of the facial features on the model leaves me unable to unsee the similarity. Really hoping to find a replacement for it, because Frogdog is one of the few models in the KD range that makes me uncomfortable in a way that I don't enjoy


Small world, I also thought of those racist dolls when I saw the FD sculpts. I also grew up in the south east, so you're not alone. Frog dog overall was a huge turn off for me, the electric farts crossed over too far into the juvenile for me. I'm excited to get my hands on the core + dragon King though!


Glad to hear I'm not the only one. The thing with Frog Dog is, I can see how a body horror setting could find room to explore the way body image is distorted by bigotry. If I thought Frog Dog was Kingdom Death's attempt to explore this issue, I might actually be kind of interested in the model. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that this was deliberate, though. Kingdom Death's brand of body horror always struck me as more explicitly psychosexual than general, and the concept art for the Frog Dog seems to match this intent. It's only the model which (to me) reproduces racist caricature. There also doesn't, at the moment, seem to be any exploration of issues of bigotry in the Frog Dog expansion's content. It's just an accident of the model's construction or a distortion caused by the modeling artist. As such, in my opinion, the model's failing to do what Kingdom Death models do at their best, which is reveal and subvert the ways in which the human body is represented in culture, while also reproducing one of the most destructive representations of the human body in modern and contemporary history. On top of that, the model just strikes me as ridiculous rather than shocking or frightening. Given the slew of new models and concepts that I like a ton, that one puts me off.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.