Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed quite often when someone asks for recommendations or opinions about a list of games, someone will always respond "It sucks" (or something very similar like..."overrated"). On the flip side of that coin, often times people will name the game they recommend with no explanation as to why (guilty of that big time). The negative comment is the one that bugs me, however. I think it's just lazy. It gives no reason why that individual didn't like the game and it doesn't take into consideration the fact that people like different stuff. It isn't helping the OP with any usable information.

I don't know why I let it bother me, because trolls are going to troll, but it does. Makes me want to get passive aggressive on their a$$. I don't know...what do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I agree. If someone is going to critique a game then they should do it properly or not at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Often I think the question itself is lazy. The site has a search capability. If people want to know whether Game A is better than Game B, or what a top game in genre X is, they can look it up.

I don't know why unsubstantiated negative comments would be any more annoying than unsubstantiated positive comments. Both are equally ignorable. Personally, I find the latter to be even less useful, since "good" seems to be the default opinion of games in the first place (see average ratings skewed well above 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help you with getting vexed over peanut-gallery comments because there's nothing for it. But I can tell you that there are lots of people who know that talking shop about games is often as fun as the games themselves, and that for us asking for opinions, recommendations, etc. isn't lazy at all but a chance to talk shop, be encouraging, ambassadors of the hobby, and hopefully occasionally helpful.

While I usually try to back up criticisms I do tend to do drive-by recommendations. That is, I'll start rattling off a list of games that fit the op's criteria with links and leave it to the op to kind of sort through them. I'm just trying to give a range of options including trying to work in a few games that are off the hotness beaten path but still deserve consideration. As the field gets narrower, I'll get specific if I can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I'm very selective when it comes to games so it would take more than an "It sucks" review. If the reviewer doesn't give a decent explanation on why a game sucks then it should be taken with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Often I think the question itself is lazy. The site has a search capability. If people want to know whether Game A is better than Game B, or what a top game in genre X is, they can look it up.

I'm not a long time BGG member, and it took me some time to figure out how to navigate this site. Eventually I found the ratings and forums tabs on the game pages and that helped out a lot!

Quote:
I don't know why unsubstantiated negative comments would be any more annoying than unsubstantiated positive comments.

I think, for me, it is because someone has decided to just be negative for the sake of being negative. If someone is positive for the sake of being positive, I'm down. If an individual wants to simply reply "it sucks" it seems like a waste of even their time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I don't know why unsubstantiated negative comments would be any more annoying than unsubstantiated positive comments. Both are equally ignorable. Personally, I find the latter to be even less useful, since "good" seems to be the default opinion of games in the first place (see average ratings skewed well above 5).

I have to agree, what most people say is good, I have found to be opposite. Good isnt near good enough. Good has to be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
I don't know...what do you think?

Those comments suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

Those comments suck.

Hahaha! I was waiting for this comment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
flaquito wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:

Those comments suck.

Hahaha! I was waiting for this comment.

I tried to resist. I failed.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
OK, so I didn't really try very hard...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
I tend to think I write TOO much when it comes to my replies on those threads.

Maybe I'm rambling, maybe I'm just passionate. I dunno.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Powell
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisdomForWizards wrote:
I tend to think I write TOO much when it comes to my replies on those threads.

Maybe I'm rambling, maybe I'm just passionate. I dunno.

Expressing yourself freely while respecting some else's opinion is key. So keep rambling and stay passionate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I agree. Negative views of games are often critiqued way too harshly on this site. Almost every negative review is plagued by answers that tell the reviewer that he doesn't understand the game or is simply wrong. I think people should be way more open to negative views as I tend to learn a lot more about possible shortcomings of a game from them.

But as for recommendations without reasons, I think neither positive nor negative ones are very helpful, and I am fully aware that I am guilty of that, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

I don't completely agree with this. While the site can allow you to compare games and do research to read multiple reviews and comments, it does nothing to really help you with, "I really like game X what games do you recommend?" I think it takes a fair amount of board game knowledge and experience with BGG to pull a usable list to identify the top games for a genre.

If you're post in Recommendations is "I'm interested in games A, B, and C; which do you think I should get?" Then, sure, you're probably better off watching/reading reviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know.

"It sucks" tells me that the game is not to everyone's taste. It also tells me that someone was sufficiently intrigued to try it at least once. But then it fell flat for them.

That means I should not trust all the glowing reports and look more closely.

Yes
"It sucks because..." would be better

but a simple "It sucks" carries more information than "It's brilliant". Unless of course, the latter is bucking the prevailing sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VaultBoy wrote:
curtc wrote:

I don't completely agree with this. While the site can allow you to compare games and do research to read multiple reviews and comments, it does nothing to really help you with, "I really like game X what games do you recommend?" I think it takes a fair amount of board game knowledge and experience with BGG to pull a usable list to identify the top games for a genre.

If you're post in Recommendations is "I'm interested in games A, B, and C; which do you think I should get?" Then, sure, you're probably better off watching/reading reviews.

I think your last sentence is exactly the point curtc was making.

If you have three games in mind, you should read and watch reviews and runthroughs and make up your own mind.

People have such varying tastes and interests that if you asked a group of gamers which they like the best, you will get multiple votes for all three games - and where does that leave you? Going back to reviews!

I've seen quite a few of the 'Which of these games should I buy' type questions. It's like asking a stranger what you should have for dinner tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On a different thread earlier this week someone was asking for recommendations. I don't have a problem seeing replies that simply list a game (or several).

If it was my question, those games listed would give me some direction as I researched before buying. The research part is fun in itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I have detailed explanation as to why a game sucks in the comments linked to my profile, then a comment of "it sucks" should be sufficient as the OP of the thread could easily find out why I said what I did.

For example: T.I.M.E Stories sucks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Russell
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
If I have detailed explanation as to why a game sucks in the comments linked to my profile, then a comment of "it sucks" should be sufficient as the OP of the thread could easily find out why I said what I did.

I just checked your profile and couldn't find your comments on TIME Stories! I assumed it would be in the 'All' or 'commented' lines of your collection summary, but it isn't.

You could just be nice and help the OP by posting a reason or two why you think a game sucks rather than expecting them to go off searching your profile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just look up my opinion of a game. I have the best opinions. They don't suck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This whole thread sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justen Brown
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:

Rarely are the positive comments unsubstantiated. People tend to qualify their "good" opinions. "Here's a paragraph why Game A is better than Game B" tells me more than comparing ratings and rank.

On the other hand "it's bad" is more descriptive of the poster than the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barmybee wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:

I just checked your profile and couldn't find your comments on TIME Stories! I assumed it would be in the 'All' or 'commented' lines of your collection summary, but it isn't.

You could just be nice and help the OP by posting a reason or two why you think a game sucks rather than expecting them to go off searching your profile.

Its there. You have to remember T. is alphabetically before Ta
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
Rarely are the positive comments unsubstantiated.

Not even close. Don't forget that most of the time people just list suggested games. Without saying anything, they're endorsing the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I think avatars should have the RELY-O-METER next to them so we know if someone has played a lot of games or if they are a noob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.