Subject: So Who Wins In The Case Of A Tie? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blurpy RABID
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Greetings all,

(Quick note to the moderator - I attempted to post this from my phone earlier, so if this turns out to be a duplicate post I apologize in advance.)

My fiancee and I played a match of Doom recently, and we had an outcome that we didn't expect - we had both met our win conditions simultaneously. I wanted to see what you guys thought about how to determine if there's a winner at all.

We were playing one of the pre-packed Guard Duty missions (can't remember off-hand which one specifically), with my fiancee playing as 2 marines while I played as the invader. The Guard Duty missions require that the marines survive 6 rounds; this is represented by the marines earning a progress token at the end of each round. The invader wins by scoring 6 frags; this is done both by the invader having a demon figure on/near an objective token at the end of the round with no marine near the same objective token, as well as the traditional way (rip and tear!).

So we made it to Round 6 - my fiancee has 5 progress tokens, and I've scored 5 frags via killing her 2 marines 5 times. The last initiative card is flipped, and it's an invader card. All that I got left to activate are my 2 imps. The marines are barely injured at the time, and they're both huddled around 1 of the 3 objective tokens. I've got no good damage-inflicting cards in hand, but my imps are within range of 2 unguarded objective tokens. So I make them move towards them, taking ranged pot shots at the marines along the way to get the extra movement bonus needed to reach the objective tokens. Both imps are on the unguarded objective tokens, and the round ends.

So the final score is Marines: 6, and Invader: 7. So, um.... Who wins? XP My fiancee wanted to declare me the victor for having more points than her. I think it should be a tie because we both met our win condition simultaneously. What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fiancee ALWAYS wins! Doesn't matter what the rules say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cj W
United States
Chicago
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
trippercook wrote:
The fiancee ALWAYS wins! Doesn't matter what the rules say.

And, subsequently, post-Wedding the rule becomes "The Spouse always wins."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Schroer
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
BEER PLACEMENT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Blurpy the RABID wrote:
Greetings all,

(Quick note to the moderator - I attempted to post this from my phone earlier, so if this turns out to be a duplicate post I apologize in advance.)

My fiancee and I played a match of Doom recently, and we had an outcome that we didn't expect - we had both met our win conditions simultaneously. I wanted to see what you guys thought about how to determine if there's a winner at all.

We were playing one of the pre-packed Guard Duty missions (can't remember off-hand which one specifically), with my fiancee playing as 2 marines while I played as the invader. The Guard Duty missions require that the marines survive 6 rounds; this is represented by the marines earning a progress token at the end of each round. The invader wins by scoring 6 frags; this is done both by the invader having a demon figure on/near an objective token at the end of the round with no marine near the same objective token, as well as the traditional way (rip and tear!).

So we made it to Round 6 - my fiancee has 5 progress tokens, and I've scored 5 frags via killing her 2 marines 5 times. The last initiative card is flipped, and it's an invader card. All that I got left to activate are my 2 imps. The marines are barely injured at the time, and they're both huddled around 1 of the 3 objective tokens. I've got no good damage-inflicting cards in hand, but my imps are within range of 2 unguarded objective tokens. So I make them move towards them, taking ranged pot shots at the marines along the way to get the extra movement bonus needed to reach the objective tokens. Both imps are on the unguarded objective tokens, and the round ends.

So the final score is Marines: 6, and Invader: 7. So, um.... Who wins? XP My fiancee wanted to declare me the victor for having more points than her. I think it should be a tie because we both met our win condition simultaneously. What do you guys think?

I say give it to the invader as I think that's a bit harder to play as. That's based on my one my play-through though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not having the game, yet wanting it, I think you should send it to me so that any future complications of this nature are curtailed. I mean, these are the sort of events that lead to arguments and seperation and you don't want that.

No, best to avoid any chance of that happening. I'd be doing you a favor, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the Rules Reference under " Timing" if Two game effects happen at the same time, the invader resolves first. So Invader wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JaspeLoedm wrote:
In the Rules Reference under " Timing" if Two game effects happen at the same time, the invader resolves first. So Invader wins.

Yep. To clarify (from pg. 19 of the Rules Reference under Timing):

If multiple game effects are resolved at the same time, the player resolving his activation chooses the order in which they are resolved.

If multiple game effects are resolved at the same time between player activations, the invader resolves his effects first followed by any marine effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hubbard
United States
Mullica Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The timing rule helps clear a few other things too. We had a game where my Marines had the Tactician class card while the Invader sometimes drew the Ambush card. Both let you look at and possibly manipulate the initiative deck at the same time so the order was important.

Fortunately (for me) the Invader goes first, then I got to fiddle around with the deck. It's been a few games since I've seen the Tactician card and I miss it dearly. I sent an Invader card to the bottom of the deck nearly every turn and over the course of the game that must have had quite an impact.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.