V-Commandos» Forums » General

Subject: Retail vs Kickstarter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Something I always hate wading through, but I can't seem to find a list of which stretch goals (if any) made it into the retail game and which ones did not. Is it only the KS exclusive ones that didn't make it into the retail box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The circled stuff is in all boxes, I believe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Wouldn't everything that's not labeled, "Kickstarter Exclusive" be in the box? If this was the case, it would add six more items that you didn't circle, into the retail box.

Yes? No?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're partially right. Death Cheater and the cable car operation are kickstarter exclusives. The other 4 might be in all expansion boxes (only played the base game so far)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hmmm, that's a lot of missing stuff. May have to pass on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ollie Thomas Thor Ellis-Sargeant
United Kingdom
Ashford
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only 'missing' if it was promised for retail copies, which it wasn't. You will regret passing on this one my friend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
hmmm, that's a lot of missing stuff. May have to pass on this one

As someone who has the retail edition, I'm very happy with the game. The number of missions/scenarios in the game is pretty damn large.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It should be noted that the SS enemies are purely cosmetic and have no influence on the gameplay

There is a ton of stuff in the base game and even more goodness is added with the expansions. The kickstarter stuff is not transformative and i would have bought this without them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
HouseOfStark wrote:
It's only 'missing' if it was promised for retail copies, which it wasn't. You will regret passing on this one my friend.

I have a dim view of kickstarter exclusive game content already, so that is obviously influencing me. but its a $100 game by the time it is shipped to me and the fact that there is characters and operations that I just can't get bugs me. I'll keep an eye out for a used copy and perhaps a reprint kickstarter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

amish_rabbi wrote:
I have a dim view of kickstarter exclusive game content already, so that is obviously influencing me. ... the fact that there is characters and operations that I just can't get bugs me.

Don't let it bug you, my friend! Just sit in a meditative pose, relax, and let your breathing transform you into a peaceful, tranquil state. Get in touch with your Chakras (or whatever) and let your tension float into space. Then breath in deeply again and exhale all the hate that you have for KS exclusives. The exclusives don't hate you, after all. So let them live in a peaceful co-existent world with your being, and you will be richer for it!

Seriously, I'm a "multiple repeat" Kickstarter backer and I still missed this game! I even missed the pre-order period, where I believe the exclusives were still being included, but am unsure about that. Yet, I'm buying the retail version of this game.

Why?

After being on the receiving end of many KS exclusives, I can tell you that while they're nice to have... that's it. Nothing more. I haven't met a Kickstarter exclusive yet, that impacts gameplay in any way.
For most people, KS exclusives just become something to brag about at the local game group... "Hey, lookie at what I got! Do YOU have one?"

Well, I'm too old for that crap. I don't care. But yes, because as my wife correctly accuses me of being a consumer, I despite, find Kickstarter exclusives to be enough of an incentive to back a project! And without backers, a lot of projects would NOT get published. Period.

So the question back to you and the countless other people who don't agree with the concept of KS exclusives, is,
"What then, should publishers provide as a "return on investment" for people who invest in (i.e., "back") a game on Kickstarter?"

Many people argue that getting the game earlier than anyone else should be enough of an incentive. Personally, that wouldn't work for me (I've still got a queue of games which I received in the past year that I've yet to play). And I don't think I'm alone there. Thusly, I don't think the "Get it early" incentive is enough to attract the number of investors (err.. backers) required to fund a project.

Hate the exclusives if you must, but they do have a place in life, and they work. And again, the main point is that they're absolutely unnecessary to enjoy the game! By passing on this game because you can't get the exclusives essentially means that you don't think the game is good enough without them. And that's of course your call. I assume it would be an informed call, but your call nonetheless and no one can fault you for that!

I for one, have done my homework and am convinced the game is worth it despite not having the exclusives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Still bugs me, it's like an early access game on steam hitting retail but with a piece of DLC you can only get if you were early access. Totally absurd.

If you want to do kickstarter exclusives it should be bling for the game (SS troopers here as a good example), not gameplay elements/content IMO. Include those as stretch goals for sure, and give them for free to backers but let me purchase them afterwards.

People find the exclusives to be enough of an incentive to buy the game? great. I find them enough of a disincentive to skip the retail and see if I can find the game used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
amish_rabbi wrote:
If you want to do kickstarter exclusives it should be bling for the game (SS troopers here as a good example), not gameplay elements/content IMO. Include those as stretch goals for sure, and give them for free to backers but let me purchase them afterwards.

This is my feeling. Include the items as a bonus to those that back, but then make them available at a later date for other folks. Bonus over exclusive in my opinion.

Anyway all that being said I'm super interested in this game. Like Barry I missed this when it was on Kickstarter (I can't back everything anyway) but I'll be looking to pick this up at retail too.

Exclusives bug me but not enough to draw a hard line in the sand. I'd rather approach each game case by case and make my decision that way.

I've also come to realize that I can't buy every item for every game. I used to want all expansions for a game, but now I think about whether I actually do want it. I used to want every promo for a game, but again I've come to realize that it can be too expensive to hunt it all down and that my true enjoyment of a game hasn't been diminished as a result of not owning them (although I am sad not to have the dog as a playable character).

Anyway, obviously at the end of the day you have to do what you feel works best for you. I just worry that the black and white nature of the decision might mean you miss out on something you'd genuinely enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brennan Sheremeto
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Probably, but there is more games than I can play and my wishlist is pretty long as is so bumping something down/off to not support a trend I dislike doesn't really effect my gaming. I pay more money for things to support stores/companies I like (or more correctly, not support ones I dislike) as well, so same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah well if it's not high on your interest list then that's different and makes more sense. Fair enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.