Subject: Task Icons rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
My daughter and I just played this. We only realized at the end of the game that the required icons on the Innovation cards are only the ones on the bottom row. Oops. But no problem...I won!

Quick question. We weren't sure if Task Icons count when totaling up all of the icons in a village. Can someone place a Procreation card in a village to get the three Task Icons to count as Icons at the end of the game? If so, can the final Culture/Special card be placed so that one gets the three icons in order to block the other person from having the most Icons?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tasks are not included as icons for the final scoring, since Villagers are never played to your village. (If played as Culture, the Villager side is inactive.)

Only the top row of icons from the cards in your village count as "icons". Thus, the upside-down icons on Hunt and Gather cards, the requirements on an Innovation card, the "for each" on the Culture side of a Procreate card, and the task icons on Villager side of the Procreate card do NOT count as "icons".

Edit: small clarification
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Rogers
United States
APO
US Armed Forces - Europe
flag msg tools
Thanks! It wasn't all that clear for us in that first game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish the icons would clearly distinguish what is required from what scores. Making them a different shape (e.g. circles) would be one way, but changing the size or putting some border around would also work. Anything to make it obvious at a glance which type of icon it is.

It would be a simple graphical change that would make the game significantly easier to teach and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
I really wish the icons would clearly distinguish what is required from what scores.

Only the top row scores. Doesn't seem very hard to teach. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
Only the top row scores. Doesn't seem very hard to teach. whistle

Right. Technically, it's easy to teach that rule. But during play, it's easy to forget. And especially looking over at the sea of icons in your opponent's tableau, it's easy to get confused.

While we might disagree on how much of a challenge the current design presents, hopefully we can all agree that making them more distinct would be an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will admit to stacking my cards so only the top row is visible to help avoid that particular problem.

While different shaped icons would make it easier, I'm uncertain that the resulting visuals would be an improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneleaf wrote:
While different shaped icons would make it easier, I'm uncertain that the resulting visuals would be an improvement.

Shape. Or size. Or border.

I also stack my cards, but the top card always shows both ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.