Subject: Cavalry fire phases rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which attack options has a cavalry unit (besides Charge)? A13.4 only mentions it uses half FP, like the Mounted Fire for PRC. But reading D6 didn't help here.

As far as I understand, a PRC can fire in the same phases as an AFV? Or even together with an AFV.

Can Cavalry attack in the PFPh, MPh (Bounding Fire?), AFPh?

(Trying to play ASL130 Debacle at Korosten, which looked interesting. Unfortunately five Horse counters are missing.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Which attack options has a cavalry unit (besides Charge)? A13.4 only mentions it uses half FP, like the Mounted Fire for PRC. But reading D6 didn't help here.

As far as I understand, a PRC can fire in the same phases as an AFV? Or even together with an AFV.

Can Cavalry attack in the PFPh, MPh (Bounding Fire?), AFPh?

Cavalry may fire like any other unit as Mounted Fire (halved) - this is in Prep Fire, Defensive Fire, or First Fire vs moving units and so on. It can also fire in the Advanced Fire Phase though it will be halved again in that case.

The only way it can fire during its own Movement Phase is with a Charge (A13.6). It does so as Triple Point Blank Fire (TPBF) with no halving for being mounted; however, it has to survive all defensive fire first. Read the paragraph carefully as there are extra MF expenditures, a Gallop requirement, and so on. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. So Charging is certainly the best attack for Cavalry, otherwise they are more like sitting ducks.

Do I use the Human Wave counters and the same mechanics, concerning direction and range, for a Cavalry Charge?

I guess there is no APh for Cavalry, as 4.7 only mentions Infantry.

(Sorry for double posting. Somehow my postings didn't show up this time, even after reloading the page.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Do I use the Human Wave counters and the same mechanics, concerning direction and range, for a Cavalry Charge?

Yes.

A13.62:
"Cavalry may make Human Wave attacks as per 25.23-.235 (and E1.423) except as stated otherwise." ..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L M
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Trust the Computer
badge
Roll low
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Thanks. So Charging is certainly the best attack for Cavalry, otherwise they are more like sitting ducks.

I've found that ASL cavalry is often best thought of as mounted infantry. Use their speed to move into a position and dismount.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Probst
Australia
Glen Waverley
VIC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
biturian_varosh wrote:
I've found that ASL cavalry is often best though of as mounted infantry. Use their speed to move into a position and dismount.

Yes. Rare and precious will be those occasions when actually making a Charge will look like a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biturian_varosh wrote:
phxhf wrote:

I've found that ASL cavalry is often best thought of as mounted infantry. Use their speed to move into a position and dismount.

J35 Siam Sambal shows this to great effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L M
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Trust the Computer
badge
Roll low
mbmbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:
biturian_varosh wrote:

J35 Siam Sambal shows this to great effect.

Scenario ASL130 that the original poster mentioned has the additional complication of remounting with the cossacks for an optimal exit. A very interesting challenge, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L M
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Trust the Computer
badge
Roll low
mbmbmbmbmb
BruceP wrote:
Yes. Rare and precious will be those occasions when actually making a Charge will look like a good idea.

G28 Ramsey's Charge is a good one for cavalry charges.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
biturian_varosh wrote:
Scenario ASL130 that the original poster mentioned has the additional complication of remounting the cossacks for an optimal exit. A very interesting challenge, I think.

Indeed. I'm already trying to figure out a good tactic.

Would it be good to dismount the horses in the woods (or out of LOS), and then move forward into open ground (leave the horses alone)? Does it make sense to lead the horses into an attack together with your dismounted units (horses could be killed)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:

Indeed. I'm already trying to figure out a good tactic.

Would it be good to dismount the horses in the woods (or out of LOS), and then move forward into open ground (leave the horses alone)? Does it make sense to lead the horses into an attack together with your dismounted units (horses could be killed)?

Dismounting out of los is highly recommended as men on horses are easy to shoot (and remember - no wall or hedge TEM for cavalry). I think of ASL cavalry as dragoons, highly mobile compared to foot infantry but not intended to enter contact on horseback.

Leading horses is situation specific - if you foresee a need to keep the gee-gees close it could be advantageous. For instance, if a late game ride off board or to capture uncontested VC hexes might be required.

In 300-odd scenarios I've prosecuted a cavalry charge just once - it was fun though; Greek cavalry vs Italians in a snowy field on the Albanian border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Weiley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does cowering affect cavalry normally during a charge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rich Weiley wrote:
Does cowering affect cavalry normally during a charge?

Yup, no EXC in the cavalry, riders or cowering sections of the rules, so they cower (unless with a leader etc.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Wille
Germany
Herford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more Cavalry questions:

1. Provided my Cavalry breaks under fire and has to bail out, does an unsuccessful Bail-Out NMC break it again - which means it is casualty reduced?

2. Can a mounted Cavalry leader Rally unmounted units in the same location?

3. Can a mounted Cavalry unit bring (lead, according to A13.7) unmounted horses with them? I guess it only works when those horses are in the same location? They don't want to join from an adjacent location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phxhf wrote:
Some more Cavalry questions:

1. Provided my Cavalry breaks under fire and has to bail out, does an unsuccessful Bail-Out NMC break it again - which means it is casualty reduced?

Yes, indeed.

phxhf wrote:
2. Can a mounted Cavalry leader Rally unmounted units in the same location?

Yes - there is a restriction for leaders when riding on / passengers in vehicles in certain circumstances, but that doesn't apply here. (Personally, I think leaders rallying on horseback should get a bonus -1 for the Maximus-from-Gladiator effect, but sadly the ASL design team chose a more prosaic approach).

phxhf wrote:
3. Can a mounted Cavalry unit bring (lead, according to A13.7) unmounted horses with them? I guess it only works when those horses are in the same location? They don't want to join from an adjacent location?

Yes, cavalry can lead horses (Note that, by definition, cavalry are automatically riders) if they are 'accompanied', i.e. they are both in the same location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wu Wei
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
BruceP wrote:

Charging already broken units is fun, as is charging a low morale opponent that already final fired, to force him to FPF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klas Malmstrom
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
WuWei wrote:
BruceP wrote:

Charging already broken units is fun, as is charging a low morale opponent that already final fired, to force him to FPF.

Note even units not marked First/Final Fire are treated as using FPF vs Cavalry in their Location.

C13.351 FPF: DEFENDER Infantry using TPBF vs Cavalry are also considered to be using FPF (and thus Area Fire). Infantry manning a Gun must use OVR Prevention (C5.64) if possible, as if the Cavalry in their hex were a vehicle conducting an OVR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.