Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Star Realms» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can you trade, then draw 1 card, and then trade again? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Micael Arvidsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Can you trade, then draw 1 card, and then trade again if you got more points on the new card?

Or combat from the combat pool, then draw 1 card if you have the ability and get another combat point to add a second combat to your opponent?

If you use 2 explorer card to trade for 4 points, do you immediately put these 2 cards in the discard pile or at the end of turn when all you cards have been played?

I saw another reply here and he said "You should only play cards as you need them. A good habit to have in general for the game. "

I dont really understand what he means, please someone clarify this general =)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
awwe wrote:
Can you trade, then draw 1 card, and then trade again if you got more points on the new card?

Or combat from the combat pool, then draw 1 card if you have the ability and get another combat point to add a second combat to your opponent?

Yes, you can add and use your pool of trade and combat whenever you want in your turn. The only time you really need to use a certain amount at once is destroying bases.

awwe wrote:

If you use 2 explorer card to trade for 4 points, do you immediately put these 2 cards in the discard pile or at the end of turn when all you cards have been played?


These stay in play until the end of your turn. You can then choose at any point in the turn to scrap them for damage or put them into the discard later.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Micael Arvidsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
Ok, thanks for clarification. Me and my son is pretty new to board/card games.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your question does lead me to believe perhaps you're playing something wrong. You do know the when you buy something from the buy row it goes to your discard pile. You do not get an immediate benefit from it (unless the card specifically states so. Heroes (from the Crisis and United expansions are the exception). Those go directly into play.

As far as trade and combat, imagine that your trade and combat values go into a pool upon playing (or scrapping) a card. Those pools are independent of the card that may have contributed the value. So in the case of an explorer, when you play it, it will add 2 trade to your pool. You can then immediately scrap it to add two combat to your pool. You don't lose your trade as it is in the pool and therefore independent of the card that has now been scrapped.

You are free to spend the trade and combat in your pool in any way and in any order throughout your turn. Once your turn is over your pool empties of any left-over trade and combat (which may happen if you can't afford or don't want any cards in the trade row or in the case of combat, you don't have enough left to destroy an outpost in play.

Hopefully that makes sense and I didn't aufficiently confuse you.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dániel Lányi
Hungary
Budapest
* -Not Applicable-
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
awwe wrote:
Can you trade, then draw 1 card, and then trade again if you got more points on the new card?


This sounds like you're playing the game wrong. You draw five cards at the end of your turn or when a card's ability tells you to do, there is no other way to draw cards.
When you buy a card it goes into your discard pile, unless some other effect says otherwise.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wallwaster wrote:
awwe wrote:
Can you trade, then draw 1 card, and then trade again if you got more points on the new card?

This sounds like you're playing the game wrong. You draw five cards at the end of your turn or when a card's ability tells you to do, there is no other way to draw cards.
When you buy a card it goes into your discard pile, unless some other effect says otherwise.

But it is true that you can play your cards, use the provided trade points to buy a new card (putting it on the discard pile), and then use a "draw a card" ability (on one of the played cards) to draw and play another card.

If that other card also provides trade, you can use that trade value to buy another card (putting that second purchased card on the discard pile).

But it is also true that, if your initial hand gives you some trade and a "draw a card" ability, it usually makes sense to use the draw ability first. That way, you will could have a choice between buy one expensive card versus two less expensive ones.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
awwe wrote:
I saw another reply here and he said "You should only play cards as you need them. A good habit to have in general for the game. "

I dont really understand what he means, please someone clarify this general =)

I can think of one example.

Your hand may contain one or more cards that require your opponent to discard a card.

It may be advantageous to play and use those one at a time before revealing the rest of your hand.

With this approach, you can force your opponent to make each discard with the minimum information.

In particular, if you play two "discard" cards one at a time, you force your opponent to choose a first card to discard before he knows that he has to discard a second. This may lead him to make a sub-optimal choice.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
awwe wrote:
I saw another reply here and he said "You should only play cards as you need them. A good habit to have in general for the game. "

I dont really understand what he means, please someone clarify this general =)


Most of the time, it doesn't matter if you just play all your cards at once.

If you are using the "Events" expansion, however, occasionally an "Event" shows up in the trade row when you buy a card, and sometimes the "Event" card says something like "You can trash 2 cards in your hand" or "Discard a card or take damage". At which point, you want to only be playing cards as you need them (i.e. don't play the two vipers in your hand for 2 damage until you have already played the freighter and 2 scouts and spent all your money, as you might need to have those vipers in your hand).

As such, it is a good habit to get into to only play your cards as you need them and hold on to the ones that you don't want to play till last.

The order in which you play cards often has an impact on the way the game goes, so it is often a good idea to pay attention to how you order you card pays anyway.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
If you are using the "Events" expansion, however, occasionally an "Event" shows up in the trade row when you buy a card, and sometimes the "Event" card says something like "You can trash 2 cards in your hand" or "Discard a card or take damage". At which point, you want to only be playing cards as you need them (i.e. don't play the two vipers in your hand for 2 damage until you have already played the freighter and 2 scouts and spent all your money, as you might need to have those vipers in your hand).

As such, it is a good habit to get into to only play your cards as you need them and hold on to the ones that you don't want to play till last.

Even more basic: many Machine Cult cards give the ability to scrap cards in your hand - but not cards that you've played.

When such cards are in play, you need to take care that you don't play other cards that you want scrap later on in the turn.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.