Conan» Forums » Variants

Subject: New Solo/Co-op Scenario: The Drums of Doom rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxxclpkm4kaw808/The%20Drums%20of%2...

I've seen a lot of requests for a solo or coop version of Conan. This scenario is loosely based on "The Final Ritual" from the Core Box. The gameplay mechanics were inspired by tower-defense and "Horde Mode" style video games where players have to hold out against waves of spawning enemies.

This scenario uses only components found in the retail box set, to make it accessible to everyone.

I've playtested this once and found the gameplay to be action packed and challenging. The heroes won, but would have lost if the dice had played out just a little differently.

I welcome all feedback. As a future project I want to try to develop a solo version of "Hunting the Tigress," so let me know what you like and what you don't like with these rules!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing.
I will translate it for the French players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Martins
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool... I'll give it a go. Quick q... what happens if you roll an 8 (eg the reinforcement tile)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Oops,thanks for pointing out that oversight.

If you roll the event tile, roll the 8-sided die again. The unit indicated activates twice that turn, back-to-back. If you roll the event tile again, or roll a unit that has already activated this turn, roll again. Keep rolling until you roll a valid result.

The event tile cannot activate more than once per OL turn.

I will add this to the scenario rules as soon as I'm able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Scenario has been updated to include above rules for the Event tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your hard work and sharing this with the community! I would be very interested in any other solo/ co-op scenarios that you might come up with!

Take care and have a great day!

Michael

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Þráinn Gunnlaugur Þorsteinsson
Iceland
Hafnarfjörður
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot for the scenario! It would be awesome if you did more like this one.

One Question, do you think it woulf offbalance things to much to use Balthus instead of Hadrathus and maybe Taurus instead of Shevatas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hamilton
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Sorry for the extremely late reply. Life has been interfering with my gaming.

Those substitutions should work fine. I think Balthus will be slightly less effective at area control than Hadrathus, but will be significantly more powerful against big units like the Giant Snake and Dark Demon.

Taurus and Shevatas are completely interchangeable, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for everyone's kind words. I hope you all enjoy this scenario!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrille Blaise
France
flag msg tools
Thank you
I'd just play this scenario (in french)...

Easy win for the heroes, but a lot of luck (only one double activation and very few activations of both daemon and snake)

A lot of fun and a horde of enemies circling the village

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it last night, but, eh, quit at turn six. We wiped off all the monsters on the board, held chokepoints, and the game was getting repetitive. However, you could always add an additional ending (for a shorter game) that the players win if there are no enemy models on the board. The player who kills the most wound points of models has bragging rights, or something.

The scenario *is* good if everyone's learning the game. The owner doesn't have to learn the Hero rules *and* learn the Overlord rules *and* learn the Hero gameplay *and* learn Overlord gameplay, just the Hero stuff. The scenario includes features like chests, spells, allies, the barricades and multiple wounds, and scenario-specific rules, so players learn additional rules for future scenarios.

For the event, we didn't have a d8, so used the 1-8 chits from the Overlord tray, and the Conan KS dice bag to pull the chits from. Worked fine, especially since a chit pull means no duplicates to reroll.

The scenario acts like a tower defense game, so maybe, as a future project, you could create a randomized tower defense or objective-capturing generator...!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.