Subject: Newbie Questions from 2nd play. 2x investigators in same location rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. When 2 investigators are in the same location, is one Arkham Location event card played or two?
2. If a gate and monster is called for, are both investigators pulled into the outer realms? When does this happen? do the investigators have to evade/fight the monster before being pulled in or are the pulled in before the monster spawns.
3. If one investigator has the "Enchant Weapon" spell, can he enchant the other investigators physical weapon?
4. Do the investigators have to fight individually? or can they fight the monster together somehow.. who fights first?
5. If they both exit and close the gate at the same time, and the first investigator has 4 clues and investigator 2 has 1 clue, can they combine to spend 5 clues in the location to seal the gate?
6. If I have 2 1-handed +1 magical combat weapons and a tommy gun (2 handed) and the Enchant Weapon spell, can I wait to see if my spell is effective before declaring what weapons I'm using to attack? Or because I failed to successfully cast the spell on the tommy gun, I somehow declared that is what I have in hand(s). (and now can't use it against a physical immune monster)

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Each of Phase II: Movement, Phase III: Arkham Encounters, and Phase IV: Other World Encounters is done sequentially by each investigator. That means that if there are multiple investigators in a location, each would get a random encounter (or use the alternate ability), one at a time.

2. All investigators on the space are drawn in and delayed. This happens before the monster is put down, but investigators only deal with monsters on the board during the movement phase anyway.

3. Investigators generally cannot interact or help each other outside of the movement phases and any special abilities that specify that they work on "other" investigators.

4. There is no working together against monsters, unless you count the fact that you can move to an investigator's space that has monsters, take items from that investigator, and THEN deal with the monsters.

5. No, not only are clues not tradeable (a single investigator has to spend 5 exactly when he closes the gate in order to seal it), but remember that investigators do Phase III sequentially. They can't both close the gate at the same time: one will have had the chance, and perhaps succeeded, before the other.

6. Yes, I think this is allowed. I seem to recall a ruling by Kevin Wilson long, long ago that said that you can even try to cast an attack spell (e.g. Withering), and decide depending on whether or not you passed the Spell check whether to fight or flee.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tibs has it all covered, just helping to clarify.

3-4. Fighting monsters happens during the movement phase, as soon as the investigator enters the space (or fails to evade). It shouldn't even be an issue which character fights first, since it happens during the movement phase, not during encounters.

There are some abilites that allow "semi-helping". Minty being the first to come to mind. iirc, there are also spells you can cast to aid others, but it states so explicitely on the card.

A lot of your questions seem to be based on the assumption that game phases happen simultaneously. This might be correct storywise, but mechanically, phases start with the active player (the one who has the oval marker)and go around clockwise. All actions a player does in the phase (moving, fighting, having an encounter) are completely resolved before moving on.

There are a hand full of instances where things happen at the same time, but these are explained in the rules (such as a gate sucking in all investigators simultaneously).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuben Lam
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications.

Yep we ended up playing simultaneous phases/turns due to time constraints. Makes sense when you play RAW. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Tibs has it all covered, just helping to clarify.

3-4. Fighting monsters happens during the movement phase, as soon as the investigator enters the space (or fails to evade).
Technically incorrect. Fighting occurs when an investigator attempts to leave a space, or ends their movement in a space containing monsters.

Arkham Horror Rules p. 7-8 wrote:
Each time an investigator attempts to leave a location or street area occupied by one or more monster markers, the investigator must either fight or evade each of the monsters there (see “Evading Monsters” and “Combat,” pages 14-16, for more information). Likewise, if an investigator ends his movement in a location or street area occupied by one or more monsters, he must fight or evade each such monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, true.
Although I can't actually come up with a situation where the difference is relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most relevant situation I can think of is the one I've covered: you can move into a space containing another investigator and monsters, and then trade with the investigator before dealing with the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
The most relevant situation I can think of is the one I've covered: you can move into a space containing another investigator and monsters, and then trade with the investigator before dealing with the monsters.
... and potentially even use those items to try to get more resources for the about happen battle (for example, attempting to read a book for clues and/or spells, assuming you have movement points left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Point taken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.