United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm working on a dexterity game, (Flick Wars), and I'm trying to figure out which way to go with the art direction.
Essentially you have a board and you are flicking various ships/ pieces around on it.

The angled side view the artist worked up looks pretty sweet if you are on the side where it's right side up, but it looks kinda weird after you flick the discs around and it rotates upside down. The top down view looks fine either way.

Pros of the side view, you get a cooler view of the vehicle / art, but the playability suffers a little bit.

Which would you prefer?

Poll
What view do you prefer?
Top Down View
Side/Angled View
      59 answers
Poll created by Howitzer_120mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top view for the discs, since I suspect that the direction of the guns matters. Look at that blue ship. In the top-down the facing of the guns is clear. In the 3/4 view it's not.

If there's another component telling me what the blue ship does - a card or something that I keep in my area for reference. That absolutely deserves the 3/4 isometric view.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Top view for the discs, since I suspect that the direction of the guns matters. Look at that blue ship. In the top-down the facing of the guns is clear. In the 3/4 view it's not.

If there's another component telling me what the blue ship does - a card or something that I keep in my area for reference. That absolutely deserves the 3/4 isometric view.

Forgot that important piece of info. The facing DOES NOT matter at all in this game, and you have a card that has all the info on it as well. The card art and the unit art does have to match, for easy identification though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Thomas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Based on the fact that you say the facing doesn't matter I'd say the 3/4 view since I just think it looks better. And will look better on the cards then the top down view.

However, I think I'd want a bit more information on how these tokens interact with other aspects of the game board, and how they look related to those things to make a final determination. If the entire board is down in a top-down style then the tokens really should be as well.

Not knowing how things interact means I can't really judge how much playability is impacted by the 3/4 view over the top down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ramsey

North Dakota
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
3/4 view is always better (when facing the board). I suppose if you are on the other side of the board it won't be "as nice" but to me that seems minor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tentagil wrote:
Based on the fact that you say the facing doesn't matter I'd say the 3/4 view since I just think it looks better. And will look better on the cards then the top down view.

However, I think I'd want a bit more information on how these tokens interact with other aspects of the game board, and how they look related to those things to make a final determination. If the entire board is down in a top-down style then the tokens really should be as well.

Not knowing how things interact means I can't really judge how much playability is impacted by the 3/4 view over the top down.

Everything is on a neoprene mat, however, each player is on an edge of the mat.

The board mat is a top down style "map view".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top down is practical for when facing matters, or when tiling demands. Isometric view is almost always prettier and more identifiable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Games
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isometric is nicer imo.
They are still pretty decent when rotated, although I'm not really sure about the trio (the one with 3 red and gray ships). It looks kinda hard to identify in the bottom shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're curious of the final art direction:
http://kck.st/2pGVNqK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.