GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,176 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Gift Suggestions: 13-15 year old males rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am sure I have seen this sort of thing before on BGG but not sure how you search to find it.

We don't know these kids (relatives) particulary well, they live overseas, so we only see them twice every three years. We do know the family like playing games as they live in PNG so TV is not a huge drawcard (and nor is going outside to play).

We usually game a bit with them when they come over to Australia for holidays.

The boys are away for school so I imagine the gaming group will be boys of a similar age.

Of course boxes are easy to pack and post.

All ideas gratefully received.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
13 was my age when I got turned on to Twixt. It's a 2-player abstract. If you get the 3M version, there is a file Twixtrules.txt you can download and add to the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For 13 year old boys , here you go in order of age-appropriateness ( imo)

heroscape http://boardgamegeek.com/game/11170

descent http://boardgamegeek.com/game/17226

arkham horror http://boardgamegeek.com/game/15987

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Vogel
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have killed for a copy of BattleLore when I was that age! I also second the suggestion of Descent: Journeys in the Dark. That's another game I would have loved at 13 (despite the fact that the whole idea of dungeon delving adventurers wouldn't come along for another several years). The "toy" factor alone makes these games excellent choices, but they're also very good games.

I'll also toss out some games that work well for my two boys, ages 10 and 11. They're a bit younger than the two you're buying for, but the games scale well across ages:

Blue Moon - a non-collectible card game similar in "feel" to CCGs. You could buy the base Blue Moon set and all the expansion decks for about what you'd pay for Descent. The art on the cards is fantastic, too. I just taught my two how to play this and they love it.

Memoir '44 - same game mechanic as BattleLore except with a World War II setting. It's cheaper than BattleLore, too. Scores well on the "toy" factor scale, too.

Ticket to Ride - plays quickly, easy to learn and work well with anywhere from two to five players.

Axis and Allies - the board game, not the collectible miniatures game. A&A is aimed pretty much right at this age group. It's got a great toy factor along with combat.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Henry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Oliver
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Rosen
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:

Ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
Id have to go along with

Axis and Allies

Id also suggest

Talisman
Railroad Tycoon
Age of Mythology
Viktory 2
Vanish Planet

Maybe even

Junta
Diplomacy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Loyd
United States
Sand Springs
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steveoliverc wrote:
Heroscape for sure.

Agreed -- guaranteed to be well received!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
I'll add Battlelore if 2 players (and it's in the budget).
Otherwise, Citadels or Colossal Arena if you're looking for something smaller and more inexpensive.
Lastly, as a longshot and if they'll be playing with a lot of their friends: Cash 'n Guns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game in the BGG database has a listing in the information section of its page that has manufacturer's suggested age. It's not always a good indicator, since many games for ages 12+ could be played by 8-10 year olds, but they do tend to indicate whether the game is intended for the teen audience and up or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C.
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
steveoliverc wrote:
Heroscape for sure.

I dunno, if they are not used to this sort of game, kids of this age might think Heroscape is a bit too much like a "playing with a kid's toy".

I would suggest Nexus Ops, because it plays very much like a real-time strategy game on a PC - something they would be more likely be familiar with.

Here's a tip: give them a pack a snap-lock bags too, to store the various components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion is Heroscape.

I just bought this game after posting in another forum looking for a decent game to play that had some basic requirements:

- Can be played within 3 hours
- Is 3D (the more parts the merrier)
- Can be purchased and played without selling an arm or leg
- Has depth and complexity without unneccessary depth or complexity
- High replayablity

This led me to decide on Heroscape. Some others that I was trying to decide between were Mage Knight, D&D Miniatures, Battlelore, Runebound, War/Hammer/Lords/Machine.

Some people love Heroscape, some people dislike it. It fit my requirements the best I think. It's not that expensive, can be both really simple or somewhat complex (playing with Master Rules or even House Rules to ramp up complexity), is constructable (allows the game world to change everytime you play, adding more fun to the overall gaming experience), the figures come pre-painted (a + for me, not everyone I realize), there is enough 'expansion' type material (characters, terrain, etc) that allow you to build upon a basic set and it is readily available (Target, Walmart).

I have played just 2 games with my son (basic rules) and he had a great time, as did I. I am looking forward to the Master Rules and picking up some more characters and possibly the new set that is due to be released possibly in August.

Cheers,
Derp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cole
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SettlerOfCatan wrote:
Nexus Ops!

Ditto

Also ditto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tallboy wrote:

Almost all games are easy to pack, but posting can quickly get expensive. Descent, mentioned above, weighs over 5kg.

If weight is a problem, how about a card game:
Magic: The Gathering (careful of 9th edition, as 10th is due out in July)
Munchkin

*ducks flamethrower replies*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbilbey wrote:
tallboy wrote:

Almost all games are easy to pack, but posting can quickly get expensive. Descent, mentioned above, weighs over 5kg.

Cost is an issue in Australia, for example Nexus Ops in the US is about USD45 and in Australia it is about AUD80 (USD70).

And postage to Papua New Guinea is excessively expensive, so a card game is not so silly a suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bang, Warrior Knights, BattleLore, Nexus Ops, Heroscape... all good suggestions, not all equally priced. For a teenager think theme, graphics, toys. Perhaps I never grew up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
tallboy wrote:
Cost is an issue in Australia, for example Nexus Ops in the US is about USD45 and in Australia it is about AUD80 (USD70)
To make things worse, Nexus Ops is available for $15 if ordered from amazon

Heroscape will be a winner for 13 year olds
Nexus Ops should be great for 15 year olds

At 13 I had a great time playing HeroQuest, but I guess that will be hard to find nowadays. I would also vote _against_ Vanished Planet which is a great family game but does not have the wow factor and might be too boring for some teenagers.

Blue Moon gives you the CCG feel without having to spend a lot of money and it comes in a small box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
13 and 15 year old males?

Anything with cleavage.

That would include Blue Moon and Heroscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross_ wrote:
To make things worse, Nexus Ops is available for $15 if ordered from amazon

Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhh yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Williams
United Kingdom
DROITWICH SPA
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 14 year old loves playing (and often winning) Wings of War, Memoir 44, Ancients Commands & Colours and Britannia. He no history buff either and has no especial interest in war, he just loves the games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was 13, I was in love with Kingmaker. I also started on Diplomacy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Wagner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is a smart 12 year old and he loves Nexus Ops, Carcasonne, Hey! That's my Fish, Coloretto, Blokus, Jambo, Balloon Cup, and Ticket to Ride. I don't think you can go wrong with any of those games. They are great fun for adults too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Green Knight Games
United Kingdom
Cheltenham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Anything with cleavage.

Grave Robbers From Outer Space
(Also a low-postage card game)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Canning
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: heroscape suggestions
I think a lot of teenage boys would like Heroscape if they gave it a try, but unfortunately it has a very toy-ish feel. They might feel that they are too old for it, and not give it a fair try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.