United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have experience with script creation where there is only one subplot, while not using the First Steps tragedy set?

For example, let's say I wanted to use the Basic Tragedy set, (or Midnight Zone set, etc.) but I would only have one subplot in addition to the main plot? Would this be possible, or would it ruin the game?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm afraid that the regular scripts with two subplots might make the game too hard for some people and turn them off of the game, but I would like more variety than just the First Steps tragedy set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Mundt
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Running with only one subplot would severely unbalance the game in the favor of the Protagonists, as it would give the Mastermind fewer tools to use to work towards the goals he is after. If you're concerned about complexity, you can always just write a script with simpler subplots like Threads of Fate and Hidden Freak or Circle of Friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xiao Xu
Canada
flag msg tools
I wouldn't say it is necessarily not advisable. I have created a custom Basic Tragedy Script with only one subplot ("Circle of Friends"), and it worked out fine with some special rules. In my case, I customized the game so that the mastermind can also use goodwill abilities as long as the requirements are met (enough goodwill counters on a certain character), also intrigues on characters can count as goodwills when the mastermind wants to use a goodwill ability. It generated an interesting script for the mastermind to utilize Alien and Journalist's ability effectively. I designed a couple "spreading" incidents to allow the mastermind to manipulate this effect.

Don't listen to people who says you need two subplots for the game to be perfectly balanced. As long as your script has depth and strategies, it is okay to include one subplot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Chhay
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
did I buy this?
badge
Nodoka Miyazaki ~ Negima!
mbmbmbmbmb
After thinking about it more, I think I'll just play the game's pre-made scripts, but allow more tabletalk than just between loops. That will give the protagonists enough of an advantage so they won't become frustrated and not enjoy the game, but will add enough complexity to keep them interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bonner
msg tools
Restricting table talk to the Time Spiral phase is definitely the extreme far end of the difficulty curve. I think most groups either allow table talk anytime or just restrict it during the card playing phases.

That said, while a single-subplot script would definitely favor the protagonists, that might be useful for something like a training script that quickly introduces the mechanics of a new tragedy set. You'd need to adjust the cast size and game length down to compensate for the smaller number of roles, and consider whether you want to disallow a final guess like in First Steps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be a bad mastermind, but talking at the start of each day (not during the "card playing phase") makes the game too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.