1 Posts

Rummikub XP» Forums » Sessions

Subject: YA!!! Basta!!! Okay Mom I'll Try It!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chula Vista
flag msg tools
My mother has been an avid gamer ever since she beat all the boys at chess in the town of Corozal located in the mountains of Puerto Rico. Her teacher wanted to take her to the island championship tournament in San Juan...but Grandpa had definite views against girls competing with boys.

So after my mom started my gaming career by teaching me chess in the third grade...she stumbles on Rummikub...and for the last five years has been trying to get me to play. She came out to San Diego to visit for two weeks and wouldn't you know it, she was here on a gaming night!

I am cornered...everyone brings a game to the table on these nights...and my mom is packing from Puerto Rico...guess what she brings?

With no out...I am subjected to a plethora of colored tiles. How interesting can this really be??? cry

To start off with we all got 14 tiles. Now that's a lot of tiles! And we could only get into game play if we could drop 30 points on the table. The smallest set to drop is a set of three tiles. Either three+ of the same number in different colors, or a numerical sequence in the same color. Here is when I was sure I would never enjoy the game. It was only on my third turn that I was finally able to do this. snore Even my mom was apalled at the tiles I drew! Hey wait a minute! Why is she looking at my tiles! MAAAWWWMMMMMM!!!

But dropping a set on the table is not the fun part. As the game progressed my mom started showing each of us how we could manipulate the tiles laid down on the table to lay down even more of the tiles we had accumulated on our trays. As long as we left a set of three tiles, we could change sets, change sequences, trade color tiles, and split sequences all so that we could lay down our tiles and empty our tray!

I can mess with my opponents and use their tiles for my benefit! cool

What ended up being really cool is that all of us were more interested in helping each other find a creative way to manipulate sets on the table than winning. So when our opponent had one tile left to play...the other three players where so engrossed in the creative number sequencing and set making that we felt like all of us won rather than just one person.

Darn it! Mom was right! This is a really cool game and all of us felt good about what we could do with numbers and number sets. To top it all off...she left me with her Rummikub game as a gift. What a Mom!!!
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.