Subject: Have a Question for Level 99 Games? Post it here! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone! If you have all listened to the first episode of the Level Cap Podcast (found here https://www.level99games.com/blog?category=Level%20Cap%20Pod... ), you'll know that Brad and I (mostly Brad) answer some questions you all have for us!

So, this is your chance! Have a question you want answered about any Level 99 Games thing? Maybe pronunciation requests, or just anything under the sun!?

Post them here and they'll be answered!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you guys make so good games? Seriously, there are four Level 99 Games in my top 25 games and three of them are in the top 10!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will make sure these get on the podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly what are the differences between Classic and Remastered? I got gifted a copy of this game, but I think it is the Classic version. Wherected can I find the errata?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
badge
For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Odysseus3 wrote:
Exactly what are the differences between Classic and Remastered? I got gifted a copy of this game, but I think it is the Classic version. Wherected can I find the errata?

Video Comparision of Editions

Some Card Changes in this thread.

I think the biggest changes were to Luc with the Devastion "patch". You can check the current text here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the segment of the podcast is called 99 Questions... HERE YOU GO!

1 - What are some lesser known tabletop fighting games you enjoy? (i.e. not Battlecon, Exceed, or Yomi)
2 - What is your process for balancing characters against the other characters in a set and against the larger overall character pool? (e.g. The Exceed Season 2 characters against each other as well as against the Season 1 characters)
3 - Is balance in your games more reliant on copious amounts of actual testing, or more math and calculation based?
4 - How much playtesting time goes into testing balance (estimated time spent or numbers of matches), and how does that compare to the playtesting time spent making sure the game is fun and interesting?
5 - Can you give any more information on the Indines RPG we keep hearing about on the podcast?
6 - Is Level 99 games working on any more RPG products (Mystic Empyrean and Golden Sky Stories were on your website for a while, but seem to be gone now), or has that product line been shelved for the time being due to the success of your board and card games?
7 - Who were some of the most challenging characters in Battlecon to design?
8 - What is your favorite game published by Level 99 Games, that Brad didn’t design?
9 - What is the status of the yet-to-be-delivered Kickstarter projects, Battlecon Online and Trials of Indines?
10 - What are the plans for Pixel Tactics online?
11 - Is it difficult to get games in the Philippines?
12 - How does the cost of games in the Philippines compare to elsewhere in the world?
13 - What is Level 99 Games’ top selling product? Battlecon? Pixel Tactics?
14 - Will there be a new series of BattleGuides videos once Dodge makes its official debut as the replacement for Dash?
15 - What tweaks are in the works to make underpowered characters like Marmelee and Voco more viable in competitive play?
16 - Who do you main? (Not just in Battlecon, but any fighting games. Smash, Street Fighter, etc.)
17 - Is there a specific play style of character you are usually drawn to in fighting games?
18 - Have you had a chance to try the new Zelda yet, and if so, what are your thoughts?
19 - Why did you decide to launch a board game company?
20 - Do you smoke, or is the pipe just there to add more class to your look?
21 - Do you have any siblings, and do they share your love of games?
22 - What would you say are the most important things you learned while living in Japan?
23 - Are you fluent in multiple languages?
24 - When you watch game shows on TV, do you find yourself thinking about how to make it a better game? (e.g. Complaining about the lack of meaningful decisions in Plinko on the Price is Right)
25 - How often do you buy new games?
26 - Which of your published games are you least satisfied with? (for example, a certain mechanic that you just couldn’t get quite right, component issues, disappointing sales, etc)
27 - What are your favorite toppings on Pizza?
28 - What is the best food you can make?
29 - How many games are in your collection?
30 - Does your wife / significant other play games with you?
31 - Are you more of a PC gamer or a console gamer when you aren’t busy playing board games?
32 - Who would you consider some of the nicest people in the hobby game industry?
33 - Playing your best characters, who would win if Brad and Marco faced off in Battlecon?
34 - Do you sometimes wish you weren’t a publisher so you could enjoy conventions as an attendee instead of an exhibitor?
35 - Have there been any games you turned down for publishing, but wish you hadn’t?
36 - Is Marco the driving force behind getting the podcast done on time, or does Brad not need to be nagged?
37 - What is the decision you made with one of your games that caused the most backlash from the fan community? (e.g. changing the language/icons in later iterations of pixel tactics, the missing manual page from Disc Duelers, including Eva in Exceed, etc.)
38 - Growing up, if you had a teddy bear, what was its name?
39 - How do you feel the gaming landscape has changed since you started playing hobby games?
40 - Is Level 99 games going to get bought by Asmodee too?
41 - Level 99’s stated goal is to provide games with nearly endless replayability and customization. What other aspects do you consider integral to Level 99’s brand?
42 - What are your favorite bases in Battlecon Armory?
43 - Will we see Striker cards for the Fate and Trials characters that don’t have them?
44 - The secret bosses from the games would be nice to have professionally printed. Are there any plans for expanding the number of special characters available on DriveThruCards?
45 - Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by how fans have latched on to the world of Indines?
46 - What has been the most difficult part of being a game publisher?
47 - What unforeseen challenges have you encountered with your digital games that perhaps weren’t an issue (or weren’t such a big issue) with your physical games?
48 - Do you often play solo variants of board games?
49 - If level 99 is the cap, what level would you say you are at currently?
50 - What video game RPGs have you gotten your characters up to level 99?
51 - What is Marco studying in school?
52 - Which of the Seventh Cross characters is your favorite and why?
53 - Is there an end planned for Battlecon after a certain number of sets or characters, or will it continue as long as it continues to sell and you can keep coming up with new ideas and characters?
54 - How long does a match of Battlecon usually take you to play, and do you usually play one round or best two of three?
55 - What non Level 99 games do you admire, and for what reasons?
56 - Do you (or did you) ever LARP?
57 - What is the longest anime series you have watched that stayed consistently good throughout the show’s run?
58 - Any chance of a Kickstarter for some miniatures for Battlecon (to use instead of the standees)?
59 - What would your personal theme song be? (The one played when you walk into a room)
60 - How many rounds of Battlecon have you played?
61 - Have you considered having additional guests like Nokomento or Trey Chambers on the podcast on occasion?
62 - Do you have any outdoor hobbies?
63 - How much time do you spend gaming outside of projects you’re currently working on?
64 - Who is your favorite Muppet character? (Muppet Battlecon would be amazing too!)
65 - Do you find that you are more creative in game design when given carte blanche freedom, or when you have significant restrictions in place?
66 - Has Marco designed any games, or does he just play them with incredible depth and zeal?
67 - Where do you find good sushi in New Mexico?
68 - Are you planning to fly Marco out to any of the big conventions this year?
69 - Are there any games that you find fascinating to watch, but dislike playing?
70 - What, if any, “traditional” games did you grow up playing or play today? (e.g. Checkers, Cribbage, Hearts, Mahjong, etc. Basically non “hobby” board games)
71 - What game or games really got you hooked on hobby board games?
72 - Are there any “grail” games for you? (Games you don’t have, but wish you did, and they are either incredibly difficult to find or incredibly expensive or both)
73 - How do you come up with mechanics that integrate well with a game’s theme? (The clash mechanic in Battlecon is one that stands out as particularly thematic for me)
74 - I’m not aware of any games Level 99 has published that use dice (other than a couple Microgames). Can you provide any insight as to why you choose not to use them in your designs?
75 - Do you play any “lifestyle” games? (Magic The Gathering, Android Netrunner, etc.)
76 - Do you have a favorite game for larger player counts (7+), or do you prefer to play in smaller groups?
77 - I remember the Power Play Kickstarter had a fraudulent backer that pledged a big chunk of money with a stolen card. What are some of the other difficult challenges you have faced with using Kickstarter?
78 - What was the inspiration for including secret boss characters in Battlecon?
79 - Was Minigame Library created to see what kind of interesting games you could come up with when a deck or two of cards were the entirety of your components?
80 - What day of the week do you find works best for a regular game night?
81 - What, if any, miniatures games do you play regularly?
82 - What do you look for first when considering buying a new game? (Theme, components, designer, reviews, price, etc.)
83 - In your opinion, who has the best fashion sense in Indines?
84 - Can you tell us anything about the quality, costs of production, and shipping from China compared to the US?
85 - Do you believe in ghosts, spirits, or other supernatural beings?
86 - What are the best ideas you’ve woken up in the middle of the night and written down?
87 - Which is your favorite Mega Man game, and why?
88 - How do you know when playtesting is done and a game is really finished?
89 - Is there anything you ever wanted to put in a game but were unable to due to cost?
90 - What is the average print run size for one of your smaller games, and how does that compare to the print runs on your Kickstarter projects?
91 - Do you feel like being a game designer makes you mentally take apart every game, and inhibit your ability to just sit back and enjoy them?
92 - Do you read or watch reviews of your games, and if so, how do you handle criticism of them?
93 - What is your favorite thing that you’'ve ever seen happen during a battlecon match (e.g. Cherri completely clashing out an opponent multiple times during a match for massive life loss, coming back from a 1 life to 20 life deficit and winning the match, etc.)?
94 - Do you sleeve cards?
95 - I’ve seen a few Battlecon cosplay pics, but has anyone ever cosplayed you?
96 - Any plans for hosting your own convention? (THE BATTLECON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AT BATTLECON-CON!)
97 - Last year, Rahdo guest-starred on the Dice Tower’s Top 10 Economic Games video, and he brought up Millenium Blades. (You should watch that part of the video at least if you haven’t already.) What do you think of Tom Vasel’s face and reaction as he’s listening to Rahdo and being completely flabbergasted, confused, and impressed at the same time?
98 - If you could play any game with any people (past or present, real or fictional), what game would you play, and with whom? (Keep in mind the maximum player count for the game you choose!)
99 - What is your favorite game of all time?

BONUS QUESTION 100 - Are you as tired of answering questions as I am of asking them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no. Oh yes?

I am so. . .impressed that you actually wrote down 99 questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, Marco, any questions that aren't too brad specific can also be answered by you too! There are also a few Marco-specific questions in there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Santos
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benstylus wrote:
Remember, Marco, any questions that aren't too brad specific can also be answered by you too! There are also a few Marco-specific questions in there

Thanks goodness. I can finally do something during the segment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have another few questions... although Fabio might have to be the one to answer these. Whatever happened to Frame Wars? Is it still in development? Does it have a tentative release or kickstarter timeline?

Every time I "Strike a Pose" in Millenium Blades, or see those Frame Wars promo packs, I start to froth a little bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Lloyd
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there Marco,
I was listening to podcast episode 10 and the under land came up. I had a few questions about it.

1. How exactly did Heketch cross from the Dark World to the prime world?
2. Are there any Celestial Beings who went to the underland at the same time Heketch went to the prime world?
3. Is Evil Hikaru an underlander? If so, can we hope to see any other dopplegangers in the future?
4. If the World of Indines is flat, what would happen if you walked or sailed to the edge?
5. In the same way that the different planes could be considered to form a cylinder, are there different cylinders of planes to allow conveniently for things like multiverses and alternate storylines?
6. Do other planes have up and down sides like Indines? If so, does that mean that the Celetial realm is the "down side" to the plane above Indines and that it has an upside facing a different plane?
7. Can you travel to other planes by purely mechanical means? So if Khadath had a rocket, he wouldn't need magic to find the safe world for his peeps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.