Subject: First play through this weekend.. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a business trip approaching where I will be leaving home for 2 weeks. I wanted to slow down life this weekend and enjoy some time with my wife and daughters before I go. A hot cup of coffee, a Saturday afternoon and a new board game.

Which brings me to Above and Below. I've viewed Rodney's watch it played video. Read the rule book. I Believe I have a very good understanding on how to play. But I don't want to have to spend a lot of time with my nose in the rule book while we are playing.

Are there some obvious questions that pop up for first time players?
Perhaps there is already a good thread started I should just read through.

Thanks for any help...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Courtemanche
Canada
Bois-des-filion
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
I have a business trip approaching where I will be leaving home for 2 weeks. I wanted to slow down life this weekend and enjoy some time with my wife and daughters before I go. A hot cup of coffee, a Saturday afternoon and a new board game.

Which brings me to Above and Below. I've viewed Rodney's watch it played video. Read the rule book. I Believe I have a very good understanding on how to play. But I don't want to have to spend a lot of time with my nose in the rule book while we are playing.

Are there some obvious questions that pop up for first time players?
Perhaps there is already a good thread started I should just read through.

Thanks for any help...

The setup can be a bit tedious but the gameplay is silky smooth not a lot of fiddly little rules can pop-up really.

Have a look at Rahdo's runthrough, that'll basically explain the whole thing to you. Then you just need to go through the setup once (which Rahdo does not cover) and that's it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
When you first start playing the different symbols look daunting, but it's very easy to get used to them. I don't think you'll have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree... I was going to say be familiar with the icons on the cards, otherwise you will spend time looking them up during the game.

I also like to keep the rule book handy, because on the back is a turn summary and a end-of-round summary. You'll especially want the end-of-round summary nearby the first couple times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions!

Is there a player count you enjoy more than the others? Does 4 player start to take to long?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duggie Dowling
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
I'm terribly sorry... but I probably wasn't listening.
badge
I vote for Shenanigans and Monkey Business.
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that this game is good at all player counts, but as you suggest, more players means a greater play time. I have never thought any game to go on too long however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Scaggs
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice thing about a higher player count is that you'll hear more stories since there will be more opportunities for people to explore. It does increase the play time though. I've never felt like the game lasted too long.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.