Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: coax_me [+] [View All]
Carl Marl
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download the rules at GMT and judge for yourself.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-544-navajo-wars-reprint-edition.as...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David E
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one SOS game (We Must Tell the Emperor). Navajo Wars is a little more complicated than that, but not a lot.

Most of the complexity is in the setup. You construct decks and place cubes according to the scenario, and have a lot of markers on the board to show the current game state. Once you start play, though, it's fairly straightforward and procedural - draw a card, go through the sequence of events triggered by the card. But there are a lot of decisions to make.

It's not a monster of a game, but it does have a lot of mechanics new gamers might be unfamiliar with. The playbook is very helpful, though - it walks you through the first part of a game step by step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a similar SoS experience where you sit in the middle and have people come to you, this isn't it.

The biggest difference is that you have more freedom around the map, and the biggest complexity is that you need to play a few times to see how all the different systems connect together. Aside from that it's not all that much more complex than Zeds or some of the more complex SoS games. I feel Navajo Wars is far superior, though. From more interesting decisions to better control once you understand the system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Maes
Belgium
Mechelen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The video tutorial will give you a good impression of the game and its complexity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsuGzDmesY&index=1&list=PLH...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kennedy

New Hampshire
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Having several of these SoS games, and these two among them, I would say this is a natural next step. The rule book is pretty good and it will take you a few more plays to get the hang of this but once you do there is a lot to explore. I've had it for about a year and still am working through the first age of the game when I sit down to play. This is a more immersive experience and there are great tutorials here to help you along the way.

You might consider Empires in America (second edition) though as well as it is a slightly different SoS game and slightly more involved than the couple you mentioned here.

Supposedly the new Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire is a bit more learner friendly, but like all these things it sort of grows on you the more experience you have with the style of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it a go! The tutorials and other resources are a big help.

The only VPG title I've played is Cruel Necessity. Navajo Wars is more complex, but not by an alarming degree. Most everything you do is straightforward and both the rulebook and the player aids are very well done.

The toughest part, you'll find, is learning how to play well. Your families are probably going to have short and painful lives your first times out, until you learn a few tricks of the trade. For instance: how many families you should have in play by certain points of the game, or how to effectively manage raids (fight? flee? negotiate?)

If you take the time to follow the examples of play you should do fine. But definitely do that. I consider myself someone with a high tolerance for complexity and I often skip walkthroughs and tutorial scenarios. This game has such unique systems that it's worth the extra effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
West Ward Hough
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has already been mentioned, but if you are concerned about the complexity, you should look into Comanchería: The Rise and Fall of the Comanche Empire. It has a much lower barrier to entry than NW. Both are wonderful games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.