Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Area Majority scoring, but as I think about the genre, most seem to be in the medium (El Grande) to medium light (Rialto) category. Since you can't search by Area Majority on bgg, can someone suggest some titles with Area Majority scoring that are in the medium-heavy+ range?

The two I can think of off the top of my head are Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery and Dominant Species, which are not bad, but I am not a huge fan of that Worker Placement type system.

EDIT: For clarity sake, by Area Majority scoring, I mean where there are areas of the board where players can place influence. Something in the game triggers scoring, and the player with the most influence gets a certain number of points, second place getting fewer, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Thomas
United States
North Kansas City
MO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nippon is one I really like. I've owned it since it came out, but have been able to really get to play now that it's on BGA. Most of the scoring is done via three scoring rounds of area majorities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, if you use the advanced search function above, you can select area control/influence in the mechanics section and submit, you will find a list
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stlkt wrote:
Nippon is one I really like. I've owned it since it came out, but have been able to really get to play now that it's on BGA. Most of the scoring is done via three scoring rounds of area majorities.

Hmm, I actually own and like Nippon. Not sure why I forgot about it.

SaggyUK wrote:
Hey, if you use the advanced search function above, you can select area control/influence in the mechanics section and submit, you will find a list

Area control is not the same thing as Area Majority. If you look at this list (which I did before posting), you see that almost none of the games have any relation to Area Majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Die Macher - perhaps not exactly area majority scoring, but very similar.

In a sense, stock holding games are area majority scoring, because money is points and the more stocks you have in a company, the bigger your payout. So that would include many 18XX, Imperial maybe, Indonesia?

And then among wargames, COIN games are more area majority than area control..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at some of these...

A Study in Emerald (1st edition) uses area majority as a mechanism to take action cards from the different spots on the board, and then adds some deckbuilding and some hidden roles play to create an intense lightning-in-a -bottle game that's well work your attention.

Rococo is a game about making pretty dresses for a party, which amounts to a brutal area majority contest as there are limited spaces in each room for the party.

Forged in Steel is a city builder, where at the end of each turn, majorities dictate who gets powerful player powers for the following round, in addition to scoring points. The game has a lot of take-that, but it works to punch the leader, but if you can handle Dominant Species, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Bretagne is such an interesting game. It checks for majorities several times when a lighthouse gets completed. After each check, players are taunted with opportunities to lose their majority to get cool benefits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quietcorn wrote:
Take a look at some of these...

A Study in Emerald (1st edition) uses area majority as a mechanism to take action cards from the different spots on the board, and then adds some deckbuilding and some hidden roles play to create an intense lightning-in-a -bottle game that's well work your attention.

Rococo is a game about making pretty dresses for a party, which amounts to a brutal area majority contest as there are limited spaces in each room for the party.

Forged in Steel is a city builder, where at the end of each turn, majorities dictate who gets powerful player powers for the following round, in addition to scoring points. The game has a lot of take-that, but it works to punch the leader, but if you can handle Dominant Species, then I wouldn't be too worried.

Bretagne is such an interesting game. It checks for majorities several times when a lighthouse gets completed. After each check, players are taunted with opportunities to lose their majority to get cool benefits.

A Study in Emerald is an auction game is in no way an Area Majority scoring game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
stlkt wrote:

Hmm, I actually own and like Nippon. Not sure why I forgot about it.

SaggyUK wrote:

Area control is not the same thing as Area Majority. If you look at this list (which I did before posting), you see that almost none of the games have any relation to Area Majority.

Oops, sorry, I thought that that they were the same thing, I didn't look at the list, just knew that was in the search. I figured at last influence wasthe same as assumed you would need majority to influence or the majority ot control an area but I'm not 100% up on game language lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although rules-wise it's a fairly light game, The King Is Dead produces some serious brain-burn. It definitely feels heavy when we're playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
A Study in Emerald is an auction game is in no way an Area Majority scoring game.

Interesting. I've never once thought of Emerald as an auction game. When you have more cubes on the card/area than competing players at the start of your turn, you've won area majority, so you get the reward, which is a card. And the reward scores you points. Later, someone can come along and put influence in the same area in efforts to take it away from you. You have to defend the area if you want to keep the card. If you lose area majority, you'll lose the card, which will lose you points. Sounds like area majority for scoring to me.

I suppose it's subjective. One could consider the cubes you're moving around to be a currency, and you're both pushing up the price. But then so many area-majority games would have to be called auctioning games too.

In the end, it doesn't feel like an auction to me, at all. It feels more like area majority. The only way it doesn't qualify according to the OP's request, is there is no second- or third-place scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A Study in Emerald is a bit of a tough one to categorize, as it is such a mashup of mechanics. I always thought of being the cards as a sort of auction, but it is not really a true auction. However, I would not call it area majority, at least not as I am using the term (which is the tough part of these discussions on the internet), as I'm specifically talking about a scoring system that pays out varying amount of points to players based on where they rank. Any winner take all system is not Area Majority to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall might fit this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan H
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinhos and The Gallerist both have end of game majority scoring with players gaining more immediate bonuses when you take them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Voest
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Off the top of my head, Small World and Inis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
A Study in Emerald is a bit of a tough one to categorize, as it is such a mashup of mechanics. I always thought of being the cards as a sort of auction, but it is not really a true auction. However, I would not call it area majority, at least not as I am using the term (which is the tough part of these discussions on the internet), as I'm specifically talking about a scoring system that pays out varying amount of points to players based on where they rank. Any winner take all system is not Area Majority to me.

Gotcha. How would you classify Kemet then? Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My recommendation is Wallenstein (second edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:

Gotcha. How would you classify Kemet then? Just curious.

Kemet I would call a dudes on a map game, which are almost always area control (with the exception of inis, which is not area majority either). Kemet is slightly different because scoring is not exclusivity from area control, but also from winning battles.

I own Shogun, but I would consider it still in the medium category, although I wouldn't argue with you if you thought it was heavier. It is also a little weird since the majority is from buildings, not the regions itself. Still a good game though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
KissellMissile wrote:

As you said, it's area control, not area majority. A key difference I look for is that the being in second place in number of pieces doesn't matter in area control, but does matter in area majority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Giblin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Guilds of London ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:

As you said, it's area control, not area majority. A key difference I look for is that the being in second place in number of pieces doesn't matter in area control, but does matter in area majority.

While I already understand the distinction, the two are usually lumped into the same category. For example, if you asked the BGG community to name what they thought was the king of area-control games, I'd bet you'd get a majority saying El Grande.

That's why I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the OP is looking for. That's all.

[edits] Typos
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:

While I already understand the distinction, the two are usually lumped into the same category. For example, if you asked the BGG community to name what they thought was the king of area-control games, I'd bet you'd get a minority saying El Grande.

That's why I'm trying to get a better understanding of what the OP is looking for. That's all.

[edits] Typos

Sure thing. I think it makes a huge difference in gameplay, and is why many people fail at El Grande the first time they play it. In an area control game, being first place is king. You don't get any benefit for being second. In an area majority game, the benefits are tiered. Oftentimes, it is not worth the effort to try to go from second to first, as the costs outweighs the benefit. This causes a very different type of gameplay, as being second is often "good enough."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Auger
England
Manningtree
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Struggle of Empires. The bulk of the scoring in the game comes from area majorities. All areas are scored three times during the game with different points available between different areas. Some areas give points to the top two players and others to the top three. There is no worker placement. It's a Martin Wallace game and has some very interesting and quite funky mechanisms going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slaphead6 wrote:
I'd suggest Struggle of Empires. The bulk of the scoring in the game comes from area majorities. All areas are scored three times during the game with different points available between different areas. Some areas give points to the top two players and others to the top three. There is no worker placement. It's a Martin Wallace game and has some very interesting and quite funky mechanisms going on.

I really want to play this one, but the 4 hour play time is a bit prohibitive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
KissellMissile wrote:
thedacker wrote:
Ryan Keane wrote:
KissellMissile wrote:

While I already understand the distinction, the two are usually lumped into the same category. For example, if you asked the BGG community to name what they thought was the king of area-control games, I'd bet you'd get a minority saying El Grande.

[edits] Typos

Sure thing. I think it makes a huge difference in gameplay, and is why many people fail at El Grande the first time they play it. In an area control game, being first place is king. You don't get any benefit for being second. In an area majority game, the benefits are tiered. Oftentimes, it is not worth the effort to try to go from second to first, as the costs outweighs the benefit. This causes a very different type of gameplay, as being second is often "good enough."

Which is why stock-holding games feel like area majority, even though there's no physical area you're occupying. Being second place on multiple companies beats having majority control in one. Very fun when the Swiss Banker wins Imperial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Belfort. We like that one. It does have worker placement though. Hacienda comes to mind as well. No worker placement in that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.